Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > General Info

General Info Pros and cons of different makes and models (incl. international)

Old 2 Weeks Ago

There's a lot to think on with a trip like this. We did a shorter run essentially ex Brisbane via Mt Isa and down toward Alice Springs. Never made the long run back because we popped 2 inner tubes (was driving a 1992 Land Rover Defender) and took the shortest track back to bitumen with no spare.

A plus for the Defender is a true 1Tonne load capacity. Another is 11l/100 with a roof rack.

2 spare tyres, water for a few days. Tent and bedding. It all adds up and I'm not a heavy packer. Take what you need not what you want.

My sister took her Hilux twin cab ute with fibreglass windowed cover. If I were buying a vehicle for the job that would be my choice. Not because it's the best but because any spare part will be available. And you will have space for what you need- without a roof rack.

I might take our swb petrol Gen 2 Paj. But if I do I'll fit a long range tank. And tow a camper.

And tubeless tyres with patching kit or split rims with extra spare tubes. Getting tubes for the old rims was tough in Mt Isa!
Old 2 Weeks Ago

The following list is not exhaustive, and some weights are guesstimates, but the following will give a very rough guide to how the weight adds up. Everyone will have slightly different views as to what to carry, and how much, and some of the numbers below will be quite challenging to achieve. The first two items on the list (bulbar and towbar) will probably cause a bit of debate – with some arguing they are not worth the 100 kg penalty….. until you hit a roo! The list below has a full tank of fuel (90 litres) + 2 jerry cans – if using a petrol vehicle it would be very much safer to NOT carry petrol in jerry cans, but to have a long range tank.

Steel bull bar – 70 kg
Towbar – 30 kg
Roof rack, full length – 20 kg
Fuel 90 litres + 2 x 20 litre jerries – 105 kg
Water, 40 litres – 40 kg
Dome tent – 21 kg
Tools – 10 kg
Spares – 10 kg
Recovery gear, snatch strap, shovel, shackles – 15 kg
Clothes – 20 kg
Bedding – 10 kg
Tables, chairs, stove, gas – 25 kg
Fridge Waeco CFX50 - 20 kg
Food/beverages – 40 kg
Kids toys/entertainment -10 kg
First aid kit and fire extinguisher – 10 kg
Family – 200 kg
Total – 656 kg

Lots to think about - but you are asking all the right questions.
Pajero NS R SWB 2008, DiD, black, KM2 muddies, nudge bar, tow bar, TowPro, tint, Bush Skinz bash plates & sliders, Lovells springs, Bilstein shocks, ARB compressor, Lightforce XGT spotties, snorkel, UHF GME TX3340, dual battery, Redarc isolator, SPV mod.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by amason2308 View Post
Big thank you everyone for all the responses, I really appreciate it.

I realise I’ve given quite a broad topic and consequently you’ve given me a lot of different points to consider. I’m going to pull a few quotes that stand out to me and try to wrap my head around things that way…..

VEHICLE

This all sounds like a Gen 2 Pajero will do the job, as well as other vehicles of a similar vintage. I think I’m a little more worried about the age than you guys, mostly because I don’t consider myself very good at troubleshooting car trouble. But it seems money might be better spent going older but having it thoroughly gone over by a trusted mechanic before we leave. What are the things to look for when buying an aging Gen 2?

Also, I actually like the idea of being different and not having a Landcruiser, I just don’t want it to hurt me when we’re on the road if/when we have mechanical trouble. Would like to go 4x4 just to have as many options available to us as possible. Want to be prepared to go about anywhere.

I wasn’t aware how much more the utes were designed to carry. I will have to look into those. Given this is a Mitsubishi forum, are older Triton’s a good choice?

PARTS

So spare parts should definitely be packed, but given the weight issue, what are common parts that wear out on Gen 2’s? Maybe I can narrow in on what parts are/aren’t worth carrying with me. I was going to go with just 1 spare.

WEIGHT

Off the top of my head, our combined body weight can’t be more than 200kg, so that leaves me with 400-500kg of packing weight right? I want to pack minimal and our current style of camping reflects that (we all went to Paradise Beach last summer for 6-7 days in a Mazda 2 – no wasted space).

I would still prefer to go without the roof tent – like I said, I really don’t want to be on the road every day anyway. And, you’ve probably heard this one before, but I actually like setting up camp.

I think we can get away without the marquee, though it would have been nice. Will probably go bigger with the tent to compensate, something like this: https://www.tentworld.com.au/buy-sal...tude-dome-tent

Bedding will be a couple of double 4wd mattresses plus pillows/blankets.

Kitchen will be a plastic foldout table, 4 foldout chairs, 2 burner stove with small bottle, plus plates/utensils.

In terms of fridge, I was thinking 50L, but is that going to be too heavy? Would be happy go smaller if it makes a big difference. Plus second battery and solar panels.

Would really like to pack bikes for the boys somehow…

OTHER

Is it worth joining the club and then buying a vehicle through club connections?

It’s getting late and that’s all I got. Thank you again o everyone who chimed in. Really just want to get this right.

Cheers,

Al

I've been travelling around Aust since 1973;

1. To do the trip you are thinking of doing, you do not need a 4WD. The only part of the lap that is not tar these days is the bit between Roper Bar/Borroloola & Burketown. Many leave that stretch off their trip, but even that bit is VERY doable in a 2WD. So I'd get the most comfortable 2WD you can afford.

2. I've owned 4x4 dual cab Ute's since 1981; I love them, but NO WAY I'd recommend them to someone contemplating what you are. I have one in the car port, and would take the Pajero alongside of it on your trip every time. 4 people in a dual cab? Been there, done that & wouldn't want to do it again. Pajero = comfort!

3. Except from Roper Bar to Burketown, your trip is not remote. It's somewhat easy these days. There's lots of traffic on those roads. Make of that what you will re tools & spare parts.

If you get to do it, enjoy it.
Old 1 Week Ago

OK, here are pics of the route I'd like to take. They're from "Explore Australia by Four-Wheel Drive" by Peter and Kim Wherrett, published 1995. I'd assume that the roads have been improved in the last 20+ years, but I don't really know. I'd prefer to take a 4wd wagon, but given the comments about weight I'm looking a lot more at dual cab hilux's. my kids will be 4 and 7 by the time we leave, so I don't thiink the comfort in the back of the dual cab is such a high priority. I don't plan to be on the road every day and would prefer to be able to carry more stuff. also, it seems not all dual cabs are created equal - some are very simple but others look just like the back of a wagon and look comfy to me. and if a 2wd can do all this then even better (my original vehicle choice before considering rough roads was a VW Transporter), but I don't want to get into trouble on the road with a young family.

thank you again for all the comments. if you have anything else to add i'd love to hear it. Especially road conditions of the route and appropriate vehicles to tackle it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01 Overall EDITED2.jpg (94.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 02 Oodnadata2.jpg (129.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 03 Tanami2.jpg (114.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 04 The Kimberley2.jpg (121.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 05 Kunanurra to Darwin2.jpg (58.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 06 The Gulf2.jpg (137.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 07 Queensland2.jpg (74.4 KB, 10 views)
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Base of the Gulf, Mitchel Falls,Tanami and Oodnadatta Track in a fully loaded 2wd with the family, not worth the risk! 4wd with new LT 10 ply tyres, good suspension and not overloaded is the safest option. Biggest problem is older dual cab utes have a higher asking price than a wagon of the same age.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT245/75/16, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Lockup Mate.
Old 1 Week Ago
Resident

Have you given thought to a trailer?

An extra axle to help carry the load, reduce the risk of overloading the vehicle. Yes, it's extra weight to add to the fuel consumption, arguably more things to go wrong. Stick to the KISS principle, go for something small & light, and resist the temptation to overload it.

Mount a roof-top tent on a simple box trailer?

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj swb View Post
Have you given thought to a trailer?

An extra axle to help carry the load, reduce the risk of overloading the vehicle. Yes, it's extra weight to add to the fuel consumption, arguably more things to go wrong. Stick to the KISS principle, go for something small & light, and resist the temptation to overload it.

Mount a roof-top tent on a simple box trailer?

Or something like this is;

https://www.caravancampingsales.com....SE-AD-5204338/

Use it for the trip and then sell it afterwards, these are simple, lightweight, tough and good quality.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT245/75/16, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Lockup Mate.
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Plenty of good quality cheap off road trailers for sale. Just buy a Coleman gold 10 man quick set up tent. It has a room divider for privacy from kids..or..just get 2 x 6 man quick set up tents. They literally are up and ready in under 5 minutes (including fly and pegs). Chuck a few chairs, jerry-cans, water cans etc. in the trailer. Wont need to use your roof rack and can also put a couple of fuel containers in there as well. 80% of the planned route is an easy 2wd trip. The other 20% will definitely see the need for a 4wd not only for comfort reasons but for safety. A 4wd off road trailer loaded with everything you need would be around a tonne and wont add too much to the fuel bill. 4 months on the road is a long time to live out of a car that will be overloaded big time!! Trailer allows you more room in the car to enjoy the trip a lot more.
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

BTDT and got the scars to proove it.
IMO the way to go is a 4wd wagon and trailer of some sort. Trying to live out of a car+roofrack for more than a couple of weeks is a PITA. You will also welcome the extra space when it comes time to collect those 'things' you collect as memories along the way.
What kind of trailer you go for is up to you but we've tried both ways (offroad box + tents -v- camper trailer) and the camper won out for us. So much more versatile, especially when you decide to camp in the one spot for a week or so, you'll love the extra space an awning/annex brings with it.