Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Fuel and fuel systems

Fuel and fuel systems Petrol vs Diesel, LPG Conversions, premium fuels, and all that gas

Old 25-03-16
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastie View Post
The threads are sealed with Permatex high performance thread sealant placed well back from the start of the male threads, but the fittings get progressively tighter - I doubt you really need thread sealer they are that tight. But if it prevents an issue with leaks then it's worth it. Will leave the sealer to dry until tomorrow and then prime the system.
I too found the fittings getting very tight however I think it is probably to do with the shear force exerted by the aluminium manifold. I went for the same liquid sealer too.
NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread
Old 25-03-16
Valued Member

One thing I missed - Make sure to inspect new fittings for crap before you install them!

One of the naparts brass fittings had black material in it stuck to inside of the fitting, looked to be from the machining. Not great quality control! It was stuck firm and didn't blow out with compressed air, so I cleaned all the new fittings with MAF cleaner which moved some of the stuff, and the rest I got out with a 30 calibre brass bore brush followed by a good blast of MAF cleaner.
Old 23-07-16
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill View Post
Eastie
Very neat set up.
I'm not sure which Ryco you are using however if a Z699 this will have similar specifications to Donaldson ...316. The Z699 is 4 micron at 94% efficiency. The Donaldson ...615 is 3 micron @ 99% efficiency.
A Donaldson replacement for factory filter P550385 is rated at 12 micron @97.5% and will be equal or better than MM filter. These are the specifications I have used to estimate factory filter as 10 micron at 95% efficiency.
A 10 micron (or so) primary filter would be my choice as I have no way of measuring the pressure drop a Z699 and Donaldson..615 will develop over time. Indeed this may be negligible.
I have a Z699 as a spare filter and may run it for 15k with a Donaldson ..316 when the time comes and cut both filters open to check condition.

Hill
Here's the inside of a Ryco Z699 primary after 4 months/11,000km. I've had no issues running it in line with the Donaldson P903316 3-micron filter kit. Fuel has been BP/BP ultimate /BP winter. Not a great deal of contamination. Thinking that based on running the Ryco before the Donaldson I'll hold off on changing the Donaldson over until around 12 month/20-30,000 km and stick to 10,000km-15,000km changeover on the Ryco's.

Last edited by Eastie; 23-07-16 at 03:49 PM.
Old 07-10-18

Thanks for all the info guys. I'll finally be installing my kit this week, along with replacing the original fuel filter as I'm not sure when that was done last by the previous owner!

Hopefully it all goes well!
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Default Donaldson P551615 Bracket using existing Fuel Filter mounting bolts

I have one of these filters ready to be installed as per Hill’s install including new bracket.

What’s this that these “pre OEM filter proponents” are saying here about contaminants going downstream into injectors during filter changes? I don’t get it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyPizzaz View Post
I have one of these filters ready to be installed as per Hill’s install including new bracket.

What’s this that these “pre OEM filter proponents” are saying here about contaminants going downstream into injectors during filter changes? I don’t get it...

Wankers...
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

I presume containments is the paint. However, Donaldson have said that the paint is on the pre-filter side so is a non-issue.

Besides, dust can get in when changing the OEM filter as well.

Seriously though, all you do is unscrew old filter and screw in new filter and unless you are in a very dusty environment, I cannot see how dust has a higher chance of getting into the Donaldson filter than the OEM one.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Default Donaldson P551615 Bracket using existing Fuel Filter mounting bolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladguan View Post
Seriously though, all you do is unscrew old filter and screw in new filter and unless you are in a very dusty environment, I cannot see how dust has a higher chance of getting into the Donaldson filter than the OEM one.
That’s exactly what I was thinking hey. I was just so confused. Wondered if I’d missed something.

Old 3 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Must admit I work from the premise of only believing half of what I read and half of what people tell me, do a little research and make up my own mind.

What a load of .....

Hill
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill View Post
Must admit I work from the premise of only believing half of what I read and half of what people tell me, do a little research and make up my own mind.

What a load of .....

Hill
I've come to the conclusion, 'cause I surf the 'net a bit, that half of what you read is bull, and the other half's all sh!t!

With apologies to Kevin Bloody Wilson.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....