Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Body and Soul

Body and Soul Discussion about the chassis and body, paintwork, cabin fittings, air conditioning, etc.

Old 04-11-18

Just found this thread however Im wondering what the paint is for the power window switches? they are silver but cant find anything
Old 04-11-18
Valued Member

Mate you wont find a code for interior plastic panels only exterior painted panels.

Best would be to go to a decent paint shop and ask them to try to match as close as possible.

Previously
88 NF SWB 2.6 manual
92 NH LWB 3.0 auto
92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
95 NJ SWB 3.0 auto
99 Cruiser 4.5 manual with all the fruit
Old 04-11-18
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajo1 View Post
Just found this thread however Im wondering what the paint is for the power window switches? they are silver but cant find anything
I removed all of mine all four doors, went to Repco and found a spray pack (silver metallic DS110) so close you cannot notice the difference, sprayed all of them nobody will ever know.
Old 04-11-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinsch View Post
I removed all of mine all four doors, went to Repco and found a spray pack (silver metallic DS110) so close you cannot notice the difference, sprayed all of them nobody will ever know.
Cheers, will definitely look into it
Old 04-11-18
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajo1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussieintas View Post
Mate you wont find a code for interior plastic panels only exterior painted panels.

Best would be to go to a decent paint shop and ask them to try to match as close as possible.

Agreed. Just get it colour matched. Usually, for interior silvers, I use a fine aluminium metallic, sometimes with a touch of black - they're usually fairly easy to match.

One thing, though, is that you should get the correct plastic paint - not what you get in a spray can which goes on much too heavy. To get the right finish you need a small gun with very good atomisation, sometimes an airbrush works best. Proper plastic paint is quite thin and designed to stick to plastics, which normal exterior paints won't do without a primer, which then just adds thickness that you don't want.
Old 05-11-18

I know We are talking about interior BUT, As I found out the hard way.....There was a change-over to 2 pac for Exterior paint around 2000 ish... I got some 'Sophia White' made up in Acrylic after my little prang and the colour was nowhere near the Factory Sophia White on the Car... The paint shop and I couldn't work out why the 'Recipe' was Different... till I mentioned 2 Pac .....
So they made it to an old recipe that was in their books ( not off the computer) that they haven't used for years... and that was pretty spot-on....

Gemster.....
97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ARB bar, Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, Terrain Tamer Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, 3 core radiator, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps, and a New Heart to come
..and No Airbags. We die like real Men
Old 05-11-18
Valued Member

Kinda, Gemster.

Mitsubishi were actually one of the earlier adopters of two pack paint technology, making the change in the late 1980s. Holden were a bit later, they changed with introduction of the VS Commodore. By 2000 almost all manufacturers had switched.

When a colour is first developed a formula is developed for that colour. Unfortunately the factory(ies) can't always maintain consistency so variations of the original colour are made. So, Sophia White from a factory in Japan may not be exactly the same as Sophia White from a factory in Thailand. Variations occur over time, too, as each factory changes suppliers from time to time and the new supplier's interpretation of the colour may be slightly different or perhaps they don't have a metallic or pearl that is a exact match for that from the previous supplier. All the major paint companies then develop variants to cover these changes.

As far as type of paint is concerned there is no difference in colour for a single variant in the different types. So, for example, if I chose a particular variant of Sophia White in my system I could mix that in acrylic, 2K or one of two different base coats which I would then clear over. Although the look of the different paints may be different (gloss level, surface finish etc.) the actual colour should be the same.

A lot of paint shops have developed their own sets of variants to better match local production when they can't find a match that they're happy with off the computer. Sometimes there are actually better matches from completely different manufacturers - for example, I quite regularly get good matches using Tata colours for silvers and various unknown Chinese manufacturers for whites. Part of the reason for this is that those manufacturers have such poor quality control that their colours vary all over the place and one of many variants, by chance, happens to actually match the car that I'm doing. Matching colours is a case of keeping an open mind.
Old 05-11-18

]Well there you go thanks NFT5 ... he mixed the paint near perfect 3rd, 4th or 5th time anyhow.... It was quite fun saying, try a bit of this, then oops, ok try a bit of that.. Lol.. We had fun on a Friday arvo with a few Drinkies... His shout next time... and I will mix the paint...

The scraps went into his bucket of 'Fordite' he keeps for me... Fordite is a Lapidary term used when painters tip left-over paint in a small bucket, over time this bucket becomes quite full with all sorts of dried colour paint, then I get hold of it and turn it into this... and Jewellery...

Gemster....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg th.jpg (12.6 KB, 12 views)
97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ARB bar, Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, Terrain Tamer Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, 3 core radiator, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps, and a New Heart to come
..and No Airbags. We die like real Men

Last edited by gemster; 06-11-18 at 12:12 AM. Reason: ADD THANKS
Old 3 Days Ago

It's bad paint I end up pulling mine out cleaned up with metho the got a flat black paint from bunnings over a half day sprayed top and bottom let dry over night I liked the front I pulled the back ones out regards john