• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pajtastic
    • May 2017
    • Melbourne

Bilstein life expectancy

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and have recently bought an NW. It has the lifted Bilstein/Lovell setup, put on when the car was near new, approximately 100,000 km ago.

This is a popular combo which has been around for a few years now so I'm sure there are others here with ageing Bilsteins too. How have yours held up over time? I'd like to get a general sense for how much effective life these have (assuming standard use - mostly urban/commuting, occasional light off roading/towing). I haven't driven a similar Pajero, nor one with factory suspension, so I haven't got anything to compare it to. I wonder if my shockies best days are behind them. Cheers
  • Matty_P
    • May 2014
    • Bayside Brisbane QLD

Ive got the same blue n yellow setup with approx 75000kms and still going strong..

Comment

• psproule
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2007
      • Googong, NSW

Had Bilstiens and Kings in the NP that did over 200,000km including 2 desert trips. I changed out the Billies only because they were old, not because they failed or felt off. Having said that, some users have had the boots disintgrate.
      2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
      2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

• Phil
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2008
        • Sydney

Had one rear fail with 20K on it max. 10K of that was Cape York.
        Replaced both rears with new ones no probs for the last 30K.

Shopping runs and light work should see them last for a long time.

I'll go Dobinsons with remote cans next time.
        MY05 NP DiD Auto Platinum. Custom scratches. ARB bar & 12000lbs winch. Maxxis Bighorns. BushSkinz Bash plates & slidders. TJM auto guard. Gear box, trans & diff breathers. Rhino racks & Pod. Awning with LED. Dual batteries. HID Narva 225's. Airtec snorkel. 2" Lovell/Bilstein lift. GME TX3500. Wetseat covers. Pioneer BT deck. Cargo barrier. Beaudesert exhaust. Rear storage & CF80. ARB onboard air. NS 18s for the black top, 80L LRA tank. HPD Catch Can. HPD Intercooler.

Comment

• JoshF
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2008
          • Brisbane

I had my Bilstein legs and trakryder springs done in early 2008, in the first 10 000km

All the usual assortments of trips local and weekend camping, loaded to the gills and light round town etc

Flinders Ranges, Simspson Desert and further, Cape York were the long trips over 2010/11/12. Had a leak in one rear shock in 2012 and replaced the pair. That was about 120,000km I think. Fronts are still the original pair now at 185 000km
          NS Tall and Short (Trakryder/Bilstein 2" lift with Polyairs) DiD "R", Gunmetal on BFG 270/60/17 AT's, TJM Bullbar, 9500lb Ox Winch, Icom 450, AirTech Snorkel, Cargo Barrier, Dual Battery System to power a CF 40, ScanguageII, LRA Auxillary Tank
          Custom Intercooler/Sump/Transmission Bash Plates and Sliders by http://www.bushskinz4x4.com.au/

Comment

• pajtastic
            • May 2017
            • Melbourne

Thanks! So far it sounds like they ought to have a fair bit of life left.

Mine have the concertina style boots which happily have no tears/splits in them.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X