• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • motorazr
    • Aug 2018
    • Adelaide

Upgrading ball weight of tow bar

Does anyone know how to go about upgrading the ball weight specs on an existing towbar?
    I have a 1998 NL 3.5l auto lwb with a Hayman Reese heavy duty tow bar fitted. The bar has a 50x50 hitch connection but no compliance plate on it. Probably worn off with time.
    There is a sticker on the inside of the drivers door showing tow capacity of 2500 kg and ball weight of 120 kg.
    Problem is my van is 1640kg gross with a ball weight of 135kg. I can’t get it any lower unless I rip out the oven in the kitchen, and I don’t need an earbashing from the better half.
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

Stick your current tow bar on Gumtree and buy a new one?
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Ian H
      Valued Member
      • May 2015
      • Melbourne

I don't think the hitch is the problem and should be rated to take that ball weight easily. But the car itself, if that has a compliance plate saying it's 120kg maximum, then I don't think there's not much you can do about it, short of getting the car specs upgraded and that means big dollars, even if it's possible.

I just did a quick search and turned up the specs for the NL model......https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...hread.php?t=78

That indicates a max of 135kg on the ball.
      Last edited by Ian H; 23-11-18, 02:28 PM.
      2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011
        • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
        I don't think the hitch is the problem and should be rated to take that ball weight easily. But the car itself, if that has a compliance plate saying it's 120kg maximum, then I don't think there's not much you can do about it, short of getting the car specs upgraded and that means big dollars, even if it's possible.

I just did a quick search and turned up the specs for the NL model......https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...hread.php?t=78

That indicates a max of 135kg on the ball.
        It could also be related to the GVM of 2650kg, GCM 5150kg and payload is between 573kg and 750kg.

I cannot find rear axle load but since it is the same rear suspension as the Challenger then it could be 1600kg.

Are you using a WDH, if not the use of a light weight WDH (on road) could reduce your TBL down to 120kg.

OJ.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• motorazr
          • Aug 2018
          • Adelaide

I don’t think it is actually the vehicle, because if I fitted a new towbar it would it would have a 2500kg tow capacity with a 250kg ball weight.
          Looking at the the tow bar that is attached to the vehicle at the moment it is no different from a newer heavy duty tow bar for this model.
          I have read somewhere on the forum that the ball weight can be upgraded but can’t find any specific information.

Comment

• motorazr
            • Aug 2018
            • Adelaide

I do use a 600lb wdh, a bit over over kill but it came with the van. Have just been down to a tow bar place nearby, $620 to supply a new bar.
            I suppose I could stick my head in the sand and accidentally rub off the sticker as it is the only evidence that the ball weight is supposed to be 120kg.
            There is nothing else to show that the tow rating at the ball isnt 10% of the tow bar making it 250kg.
            I came across a reference in one post that MM had amended the ball load rating but can not locate that post again.
            MM is as helpful as ever stating basically that if it’s in the handbook then it’s set in stone, which doesn’t explain how if I fit a new Hayman Reese HD towbar rated at 2500kg it has a ball rating of 250kg.
            Last edited by motorazr; 23-11-18, 03:43 PM.

Comment

• Ian H
              Valued Member
              • May 2015
              • Melbourne

If you use a WDH then things are different. Your ball weight will be reduced so you may be OK. Take the rig to a weigh bridge and check the rear axle weight with the hitch on. It should fall within the maximum allowed for your model and if it does, you're OK.

I took my rig to one and measured it with the hitch off....and I was over weight on the back axle (i.e illegal) but with the hitch on, it took 160kg off the back axle, of which 100kg went to the front axle and 60kg back to the van. All those measurements were within the allowable range so I am legal in that configuration.
              2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• Barneymutt
                Valued Member
                • Sep 2007
                • Regents Park. Qld

MM, some time ago, released a statement upgrading the towball weight on all Gen2 models to 250kg (Providing the 2500kg towbar is used).
                I do have a copy somewhere but, can't locate it at the moment.

Comment

• old Jack
                  Regular
                  • Jun 2011
                  • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by Barneymutt View Post
                  MM, some time ago, released a statement upgrading the towball weight on all Gen2 models to 250kg (Providing the 2500kg towbar is used).
                  I do have a copy somewhere but, can't locate it at the moment.

I think this is what you are looking for,

OJ.
                  2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                  MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• motorazr
                    • Aug 2018
                    • Adelaide

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for. Now to get MM to issue a letter. Wonder how long that will take.

Comment

• twc
                      • Sep 2007
                      • Tewantin Qld

tow bar upgrade

very easily done
                      there is a release from mm re upgrading the specs of the ml with the heavy duty towbar

or i checked with an authorised hayman reece towbar supplier (on recommendation from Jayco Brisbane) who checked the vin number against the towbar fitted and simply applied for a new compliance sticker as everything matched Didnt cost me anything from memory. just a new sticker for the towbar itself ( i had to grind off the old plate )
                      and a new sticker for the door. There is a national registry? apparently on what vehicles can have re towbar weights
                      .From memory most of the earlier japanese 4wd eg series 2 pajero later models prados etc are very conservative in their original specs, most can be upgraded by simple application

Comment

• twc
                        • Sep 2007
                        • Tewantin Qld

sorry should be NL

Comment

• motorazr
                          • Aug 2018
                          • Adelaide

It took several emails to MM and a lot of “what is in the manual is set in stone” replies from them but finally I got what I was looking for. It wasn’t easy.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• pharb
                            Valued Member
                            • Jul 2007
                            • Tyers,Vic

Can we make this document a sticky on here?
                            PCOV Member 1107.
                            Daily driver NX GLX
                            Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
                            Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
                            Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• nj swb
                              Resident
                              • Jun 2007
                              • Adelaide

Originally posted by pharb View Post
                              Can we make this document a sticky on here?
                              Selected posts from this thread have been copied to a new sticky in Bolted on bits, factory and aftermarket accessories - because the Bulletin also covers the NM, which doesn't belong in Gen 2.

Thanks to those who contributed to the thread, and to pharb for the sticky suggestion.
                              NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X