• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dreamerman
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2009
    • Sydney

NX Euro 4 or 5?

Hi, I am in the market to buy a near-new low km NX and under factory warranty. I think post Oct 2016 NXs are Euro 5 compliant and have their power reduced by 6kw. I could be wrong but I thought Euro 5 means DPF and Euro 4 means no DPF (maybe DOC?). I own a diesel ute Euro 4 with DOC so never experienced DPF regeneration issues. I mainly drive stop-go in Sydney traffic for 45mins each way to/from work. Maybe once a month I would drive for at least 30mins on the freeway. I wonder if I should buy a pre or post 2016 NX? Any comments welcomed.
    03/19 MY18 Pajero NX GLX Graphite | KUMHO AT51 265/65R17 | Ultragauge MX v1.4 | AEM GPS Speedometer | Yakima Platform on OCAM Backbone | OEM Tow Bar | KAON Internal Rear Roof Shelf | ARB Smartbar
  • Ian H
    Valued Member
    • May 2015
    • Melbourne

I'm not sure what the Euro numbers are but the Paj got a DPF from Oct 2016 onwards so you're correct in your assumptions. There are lots of DPF problems on older models but I haven't seen any on the newer NX. Still, if you have the option, it's better not to have it.
    2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• farcanal
      • Mar 2010

It's possibly too early to tell, but my 2018 NX has done almost 20,000 kms and I still don't know when it's doing a regeneration. I think I have a good mix of low speed town driving and open road 110 kph.

Comment

• DaKaptin
        • Mar 2012
        • Brisbane, Qld

I have a 2017 nx with 41000kms. LOTS of highway kms but i have oil catch can and a munji cable too.

No issues so far.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
        2017 NX Pajero Exceed with:TJM AIRTEK snorkel, HPD oil catch can, KAON i/c and sump bash plates, BushSkinz Elite transmission and transfer case plates, Boo's rear bumper plate. Stock NW 17" rims with Cooper ST MAXX @ 265/70r17

Wish list: smart Bar or ARB B/B with Carbon 12k winch, +50mm suspension, Eatons front e locker,

Gone: 2004 NP PAJERO EXCEED with 3.8L petrol and 290,000ks of memories

Comment

• DaKaptin
          • Mar 2012
          • Brisbane, Qld

Also i beleive you will get better fuel economy on pre 2016 models because of something to do with final drive ratios and how your tranny responds in unlocking the TC. (Ie sooner and more often)

2017 NX Pajero Exceed with:TJM AIRTEK snorkel, HPD oil catch can, KAON i/c and sump bash plates, BushSkinz Elite transmission and transfer case plates, Boo's rear bumper plate. Stock NW 17" rims with Cooper ST MAXX @ 265/70r17

Wish list: smart Bar or ARB B/B with Carbon 12k winch, +50mm suspension, Eatons front e locker,

Gone: 2004 NP PAJERO EXCEED with 3.8L petrol and 290,000ks of memories

Comment

• spot01
            Valued Member
            • Apr 2011
            • Adelaide

Only issues I have seen mentioned re MY17 onwards (DPF & different ratios) relate to possible increased fuel consumption and some cases of oil dilution (with diesel injected from the regen process). Note they also need the more expensive "low ash" oil.

If you have a choice, I'd go for a MY15 or MY16 (built up to late 2016), particularly for city work.
            Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• dreamerman
              Valued Member
              • Sep 2009
              • Sydney

Originally posted by spot01 View Post
              If you have a choice, I'd go for a MY15 or MY16 (built up to late 2016), particularly for city work.
              Yeah I agree. Luckily Mitsubishi has 5 years factory warranty so even an early 2016 model will have warranty until end 2020.
              03/19 MY18 Pajero NX GLX Graphite | KUMHO AT51 265/65R17 | Ultragauge MX v1.4 | AEM GPS Speedometer | Yakima Platform on OCAM Backbone | OEM Tow Bar | KAON Internal Rear Roof Shelf | ARB Smartbar

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
                Valued Member
                • May 2017
                • Sydney

Here’s my question, why doesn’t the 2016 model have a DPF... I ask this as a 2016 owner. In order to meet emission criteria what alternative emission reduction solution did they implement? And whatever they implemented, how do we know it won’t cause problems in future? I’m just not sure why they had DPF in NS/NT etc which was presumably to meet emission criteria, and then suddenly they could get rid of it for a couple of years??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• dreamerman
                  Valued Member
                  • Sep 2009
                  • Sydney

Originally posted by HeavyPizzaz View Post
                  Here’s my question, why doesn’t the 2016 model have a DPF... I ask this as a 2016 owner. In order to meet emission criteria what alternative emission reduction solution did they implement? And whatever they implemented, how do we know it won’t cause problems in future? I’m just not sure why they had DPF in NS/NT etc which was presumably to meet emission criteria, and then suddenly they could get rid of it for a couple of years??
                  Hi, my 2 cents worth is pre-Oct 2016 Pajeros *might* have a DOC or Diesel Oxidation Catalyst.

Comment

• Ian H
                    Valued Member
                    • May 2015
                    • Melbourne

Originally posted by DaKaptin View Post
                    I have a 2017 nx with 41000kms. LOTS of highway kms but i have oil catch can and a munji cable too.

No issues so far.

That's for stopping the EGR valve opening and keeping the air intake clean, not a DPF issue.

Originally posted by DaKaptin View Post
                    Also i beleive you will get better fuel economy on pre 2016 models because of something to do with final drive ratios and how your tranny responds in unlocking the TC. (Ie sooner and more often)

MM's Lockup Mate will fix the TC problem.
                    2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• nj swb
                      Resident
                      • Jun 2007
                      • Adelaide

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
                      That's for stopping the EGR valve opening and keeping the air intake clean, not a DPF issue.
                      EGR is considered to increase the amount of particulates in the exhaust. Disabling the EGR should reduce the rate at which soot builds in the DPF, leading to less frequent regeneration.
                      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Ian H
                        Valued Member
                        • May 2015
                        • Melbourne

Good point.

Comment

• Muzza
                          Valued Member
                          • Jul 2007
                          • Nsw

Originally posted by dreamerman View Post
                          Hi, my 2 cents worth is pre-Oct 2016 Pajeros *might* have a DOC or Diesel Oxidation Catalyst.
                          The Doc was fitted on 2002/2003 models with the introduction of the 3.2 lt DID Diesel
                          Muzza
                          2014 NW VRX , Alloy ECB bar, Poly air bags, EGR fixed. EDS scan gauge, lockup mate.
                          2003 NP DID GLS retired and gone to a good home
                          2007 21' Lotus spirit caravan

LH Torana

Comment

• symo
                            • Jan 2012
                            • Brisvegas

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                            EGR is considered to increase the amount of particulates in the exhaust. Disabling the EGR should reduce the rate at which soot builds in the DPF, leading to less frequent regeneration.
                            Isn’t it the other way around ?

Normal EGR operation puts exhaust back into the air intake thus reducing particulate going out thru the exhaust ?

Therefore an EGR block would push more stuff out thru the exhaust / DPF ?

Comment

• nj swb
                              Resident
                              • Jun 2007
                              • Adelaide

Originally posted by symo View Post
                              Isn’t it the other way around ?

Normal EGR operation puts exhaust back into the air intake thus reducing particulate going out thru the exhaust ?

Therefore an EGR block would push more stuff out thru the exhaust / DPF ?
                              EGR removes oxygen from the cylinder, leading to incomplete combustion, which is the cause of particulates. If the injected fuel was completely burned there would be no particulates to filter.
                              NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X