• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LesB1644
    • Dec 2014
    • Atherton Tableland

Stay in 2 wd when low range is engaged

Hi Sometimes I need to reverse a caravan up a steep concrete driveway around a bend. The steepness requires low range but I know the centre diff will be locked and transmission windup will occur with possible breakages. I have reversed the van up previously with high auto trans temps resulting. Is there a way to engage low range without the centre diff locking.? Removing the rear driveshaft is a bit difficult. Any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance. Les 2014 NW
    Before : 3 litre Nissan patrol with the lot. Now: MY 2014 Pajero GLX DID, TJM T13 Winch bar, 50mm lift Bilstein/Lovells HD, Airtec snorkel, Bushskinz side steps and two front bashplates, Aux battery in 3rd row seat well charged by Redarc BC/DC 40 amp, 35 litre water bladder in seat well, ex Nissan cut down double drawer unit, MM Towbar, Rhino roof bars. Provent 200, Donaldson 3 micron secondary fuel filter, 5 metre AOR offroad van.
  • boritz
    • Jun 2013
    • Gippsland VIC

G'day Les, welcome to the forum.

Originally posted by LesB1644 View Post
    ... Is there a way to engage low range without the centre diff locking.?...
    There was a long thread on this topic that ran from June 2013 to November 2014 : link here.

Unfortunately for we Gen4 owners there has not (to my knowledge) been a published resolution.

The champion in the above thread was Pauly Faulkner but his Profile indicates that he hasn't been active since January 2018.

Like you I would love to be able to use this mode for caravan maneuvering.
    Cheers,
    Dave.
    NW GLX-R MY13 3.2 DiD auto.
    2016 Concept Innovation 600R caravan

Comment

• Just Cruzin
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2014
      • Pakenham

Buy a real 4x4 and get a gen 2.
      99 NL Exceed with air in tyres

Comment

• LesB1644
        • Dec 2014
        • Atherton Tableland

Hi boritz
        This is my fathers drive at Mt Martha. We will be there in 2 weeks. If there is no solution I will have to continue as before. That is reverse up at full speed in 2wd then rest the transmission until temps fall below 100C. Winching is not practical, the garage door handle might struggle to hold the load!
        Thks
        Before : 3 litre Nissan patrol with the lot. Now: MY 2014 Pajero GLX DID, TJM T13 Winch bar, 50mm lift Bilstein/Lovells HD, Airtec snorkel, Bushskinz side steps and two front bashplates, Aux battery in 3rd row seat well charged by Redarc BC/DC 40 amp, 35 litre water bladder in seat well, ex Nissan cut down double drawer unit, MM Towbar, Rhino roof bars. Provent 200, Donaldson 3 micron secondary fuel filter, 5 metre AOR offroad van.

Comment

• skins2380
          • Jun 2015
          • ACT

high tranny temps

Originally posted by LesB1644 View Post
          Hi Sometimes I need to reverse a caravan up a steep concrete driveway around a bend. The steepness requires low range but I know the centre diff will be locked and transmission windup will occur with possible breakages. I have reversed the van up previously with high auto trans temps resulting. Is there a way to engage low range without the centre diff locking.? Removing the rear driveshaft is a bit difficult. Any suggestions?
          Thanks in advance. Les 2014 NW
          Les, I don't think high tranny temps in this situation would cause any long term concern. I mean a transmission should be able to handle high temps for 10 or so minutes surely. Must be pretty steep hill. Can normal 4 wheel drive handle it.?

Comment

• RUGGA
            Valued Member
            • Nov 2014
            • Adelaide

Maybe the next job for mm4x4 auto ??? (I'll send my bank dets for my 10%, thanks)
            02 NM 3.2, Auto, Exceed, I/C and sump guards, L&B 2" lift, 265/75/16 OPAT2.

Comment

• _jp_
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2013
              • Adelaide Hills, SA

I installed a switch on my PJ Ranger that intercepted the front hubs locking when put in 4L. Not so simple for the Pajero it seems.

The Ranger was manual so it made a real difference in the ability to reverse trailers up hills.

I've not yet found any problems reversing in the same situations with the auto. Sure, the TC is slipping, but the temps don't seem to get that high.

In saying that, I'd still likely be interested in a 2L mod if it becomes available.
              NW GLXR - SOLD
              --------------
              EVO 6 TME

Comment

• tommo123
                • Dec 2012
                • SE Queensland

I would imagine if you applied vacuum to the front diff actuator after selecting 4llc then you would have 2wd low range. Might require some effort with moving vac lines at solenoids and most likely cause warning lights though...

Comment

• Alex86
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2007
                  • Here and there

Does it HAVE to be reversed up?

Can’t go up forwards and then reverse down?
                  Can’t go up forwards and then unhook/spin it around?
                  Can’t winch it up using the car at the top?

And one more odd idea. Maybe not the most safe but... unhook it, drive around to the back of the van. Hook a tow strap from the back of your car to the back of your van. Drive car up forwards but van is going up backwards. Then near the top if space is the issue, unhook and drive round back to the front of the van then now hook up normally and reverse it that last little bit?
                  '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
                  Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

• nscheg75
                    • Nov 2017
                    • Noarlunga Downs

Can you put free wheeling hubs on a Gen 4?

Comment

• geopaj
                      Valued Member
                      • Jul 2007
                      • Adelaide

Originally posted by tommo123 View Post
                      I would imagine if you applied vacuum to the front diff actuator after selecting 4llc then you would have 2wd low range. Might require some effort with moving vac lines at solenoids and most likely cause warning lights though...
                      This is how I would do it. It should be fairly simple actually... the solenoid that engages (and disengages) the front diff is operated by 2 vacuum switches - one provides vacuum to ‘hose A’ when 2wd is required, and he other provides vacuum to ‘hose B’ when 4wd is required. A switch, a pair of change over relays, and a bit of cable is all that should be required (while engaged in 4H or 4HL with the front diff in 2wd using this method will temporarily confuse the 4wd/2wd computer causing the 4wd/2wd lights to flash however will return to its normal happy state once turned off).

Here is a detailed explanation of how it works (& diagnositic help for fault finding). It refers to Gen 2 Pajeros, however, I can confirm the Gen 4 system is basically identical. http://users.tpg.com.au/sp15/Posted%...per_select.pdf

Originally posted by nscheg75 View Post
                      Can you put free wheeling hubs on a Gen 4?
                      No, it’s not possible (not cost effectively anyway).
                      Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• LesB1644
                        • Dec 2014
                        • Atherton Tableland

Alex86
                        Reversing u,p places the van in the best position for access on flat concrete. I could winch the van up backwards to achieve this but the concrete is cobblestone pattern and man handling it is quite difficult. Also I believe the reverse gear is a lower ratio than 1st.

I'am not aware of free wheel hubs for the Gen 4. The centre hole in the wheel is probably to small for FW hubs. Thanks Les

Comment

• Alex86
                          Valued Member
                          • Jul 2007
                          • Here and there

Winch up backward then use a powered trailer mover thingo?

They come in all shapes and sizes though, petrol, electric...
                          '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
                          Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

• old Jack
                            Regular
                            • Jun 2011
                            • Adelaide, South Australia.

On a Gen 4 Auto, reverse gear is 3.224:1 and first gear is 9% lower with a ratio of 3.520:1.

I would be looking at getting a removable 50mm tow ball tongue fitted to the bullbar so you can push the van up the driveway using 4H/AWD. Since you have a winch fitted then maybe a square hitch reciever could attach to the underside of the winch mount and then a long shank hitch tongue can be inserted through the bullbar, utilising a vent opening in the bar or creating a new opening. Or a bolted on "L" lug that you only fit when you need it.

if the driveway is wide enough there is an advantage of having the hitch offset to the left of the centreline of the vehicle so you can see down one side of the van from the drivers seat.

Torque Convertors are designed to slip and when this happens the ATF heats up. Problem only occurs when the slip is for extended periods at high loads. Your TC would be under much higher loads and for longer period of time driving in the hinterland in 2nd gear.

OJ.
                            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                            MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• erad
                              Valued Member
                              • Mar 2015
                              • Cooma NSW

LesB1644: My Max Elery W/S manual states that the reverse gear ratio for the 4M4x diesel model is 3.553:1, whilst 1st gear is 3.952:1, ie 1st gear is lower than reverse. For what it is worth, with the petrol models, 1st gear ratio is 4.234:1. I too have been chasing the 2WD option for reversing in low range, but am not brave enough to disconnect the solenoids which activate low range and/or disengage the front diff. I can just manage to reverse my caravan into my driveway - most times without excessively slipping the clutch. I find that the low revs torque of the diesel is good enough for what I need so that when slippage does occur, I am not revving the engine much above idle speed.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X