• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NJV6
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2010
    • New Zealand

2nd battery on/off

Does anyone run a relay or anything with the ability to turn off the 2nd battery so there is no drain? I have USB outlets which have a blue glow on them all the time and the volt meter.

I am considering putting a 50amp relay or solinoid on a switch that I can turn the system off without having to disconnect the battery. Anyone see issues with that?
    1994 NJ SWB, 3.5 Manual, 285/75/16 Deegan 38s MT, 25mm body lift, Twin ARB air lockers, XD9000 winch, custom bar.
    1991 NH LWB, 3.9 V8, trayback, solid front axle, Toyota hi mount winch
    2011 NT GLX DiD, 3.2 Manual, 285/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, SPV EGR, Lovells SD rear, HD front, Bilsteins, Custom underbody protection, Safari Snorkel, JTig intercooler and loads of zip ties in the dash...
  • Greg Grey Grumbly
    • Aug 2012
    • Brisbane, Southside

2nd Battery On Off

I just installed a dual battery in my PS

To isolate the rear I installed a 70 amp Narva relay near the start battery.

The relay can be energised from any ignition ‘on’ source, power from the main battery is fed in and the aux battery power out. So whenever ignition is off, no power to the rear battery or for that matter,rear towbar mounted Anderson plug. Repco run the relays for about $25.00.

Greg
    Greg Grey Grumbly

2018 QE Pajero Sport GLS, Factory Accessories: Alloy Bull Bar, Tow Bar, Underbody Protection, Aftermarket: Uniden CB, Redarc Electric Brake Controller, Bushman Cooler, Rhino Roof Bars; Full Tint, OCAM Extendable Tow Mirrors, Fridge Tie Down Racks, Kickass Battery Box with Projecta DC DC charger, King KCRS-23 with the Peddars 5899 bump stops, Almac Boat Loader, Almac Outboard Slide, Provent catch can, More to come
    Tows a 2015 Billabong Grove 186

Comment

• NJV6
      Valued Member
      • Sep 2010
      • New Zealand

Thanks, That to me sounds like you are using a relay as an isolator where some use a VSR and some use dc/dc chargers.

I have all that but want to know how do others turn the second battery system off after the battery or just leave it always on.
      1994 NJ SWB, 3.5 Manual, 285/75/16 Deegan 38s MT, 25mm body lift, Twin ARB air lockers, XD9000 winch, custom bar.
      2011 NT GLX DiD, 3.2 Manual, 285/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, SPV EGR, Lovells SD rear, HD front, Bilsteins, Custom underbody protection, Safari Snorkel, JTig intercooler and loads of zip ties in the dash...

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011
        • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by NJV6 View Post
        I have all that but want to know how do others turn the second battery system off after the battery or just leave it always on.
        If you isolate the aux battery at the charge input end then you are not getting a recharge voltage to top up the battery every time you drive it. Even with the fridge turned off there will still be drain on your battery from the power consumed by electronic controllers and natural discharge of the battery, this will only be milliamperes but over an extended period will drain the battery.

OJ.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Merts
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2011
          • Bendigo Vic

Originally posted by Greg Grey Grumbly View Post
          I just installed a dual battery in my PS

To isolate the rear I installed a 70 amp Narva relay near the start battery.

The relay can be energised from any ignition ‘on’ source, power from the main battery is fed in and the aux battery power out. So whenever ignition is off, no power to the rear battery or for that matter,rear towbar mounted Anderson plug. Repco run the relays for about $25.00.

Greg
          An isolator between the main battery and the aux won't isolate any devices which are connected to the aux battery. It won't do what the OP is asking about.
          Merts
          Impulse Blue 2015 MQ Triton GLS Auto

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
          Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Comment

• Dicko1
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2014
            • Cairns, FNQ

My 2 aux batteries in the rear tub have a dc/dc charger, engel fridge connected all the time, several USB sockets with the blue lights and a 12 volt display. Never had an issue with battery drain as it is minimal and as soon as you start your car your battery is charging anyway.. Keep it simple...no need for the relay...just something else to fail at an inopportune time.
            Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Kingbrown
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2012
              • Port Augusta - SA

To help you decide whether you need to isolate the parasitic loads from your auxillary battery, you should establish what the load is and for how long the battery will be sitting idle (without being charged).

For instance, if your're going overseas for a month and you have three connected devices that draw 15mA each, then:

3 x 0.015A x 24hrs/day x 30 days = 32Ah.

As mentioned previously, an extra relay and associated wiring would add another level of complexity and a point of potential failure to your system.
              2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• NJV6
                Valued Member
                • Sep 2010
                • New Zealand

Thank you Dicko and Kingbrown, you have answered my question exactly, the system stays on and the very small draw downs are not going to affect anything. At most my vehicle is parked for 2 weeks and any longer I could pull the fuse at the battery.

Cheers.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X