Calculation of Speed and Kilometers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calculation of Speed and Kilometers

How accurate is the Challenger PC speedo?
    A recent check compared to my GPS is
    Challenger Speed 100kph GPS 93kph
    Challenger Kilometers travelled 93.4kl GPS 92.1kl
    Obviously two different methods are used to calculate the difference of speeds and kilometers travelled. So the question is which method is used to calculate the fuel economy and distance available?
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Kilometres traveled as displayed on the odometer.
    Have you also checked your odometer against the km markers on the side of the road?

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Dicko1
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2014
      • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
      Have you also checked your odometer against the km markers on the side of the road?

OJ.

I,ve checked my NW,s speedo with the road klm markers Over a 5 klm stretch I reckon I,m about .2 over So thats roughly 4klm per 100klms over what I have actually travelld. I just dont understand some of the ultra low fuel usage some members on the forum get. They must drive at 85kph, with no passengers or accessories and drive like "old women"....

Either that or their figures are just plain wrong.
      Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• nj swb
        Resident
        • Jun 2007
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by fajer View Post
        Obviously two different methods are used to calculate the difference of speeds and kilometers travelled. So the question is which method is used to calculate the fuel economy and distance available?
        Not different methods, just different factors.

The transfer case has a "sender" that puts out pulses based on rotation of the output shaft. Each pulse effectively represents a small distance - maybe a few hundred mm. An ecu counts the number of pulses and multiplies by a factor for distance (odometer). The same ecu measures the frequency the pulses and multiplies by a factor for speed (speedometer). Because our ADRs have some strange requirements for accuracy of the speedometer, different factors are used for each calculation.

Fuel economy and distance available don't use speed in the calculations - only distance. I find my economy reading is surprisingly accurate, if a little high - my calculations typically return slightly better economy than the meter. Distance wise, compared against a gps and roadside markers, my odometer is accurate within 0.5km per 100km. About 0.5% error.
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• NJV6
          Valued Member
          • Sep 2010
          • New Zealand

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
          my odometer is accurate within 0.5km per 100km. About 0.5% error.
          That’s with your one size bigger tyres I take it? My NT says 100 on the dial, 97 on the ultragauge plugged into the ECU and 95 on the GPS!
          1994 NJ SWB, 3.5 Manual, 285/75/16 Deegan 38s MT, 25mm body lift, Twin ARB air lockers, XD9000 winch, custom bar.
          1991 NH LWB, 3.9 V8, trayback, solid front axle, Toyota hi mount winch
          2011 NT GLX DiD, 3.2 Manual, 285/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, SPV EGR, Lovells SD rear, HD front, Bilsteins, Custom underbody protection, Safari Snorkel, JTig intercooler and loads of zip ties in the dash...

Comment

• nj swb
            Resident
            • Jun 2007
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by NJV6 View Post
            That’s with your one size bigger tyres I take it? My NT says 100 on the dial, 97 on the ultragauge plugged into the ECU and 95 on the GPS!
            Yes, one size bigger tyres, but I'm talking distance, not speed. Multiple times, over a variety of distances in different places, I've compared what my odometer reports vs road side markers and OziExplorer trip meters. The difference typically works out at less than 500m error in 100km, but more than 400m. My odometer reports higher than the other methods. I think. With that level of error, it really doesn't bother me which way around it is.

Speed wise, its 2 - 3 km/h at 100km/h GPS i.e. 100km/h on the GPS is about 102 / 103 on the speedometer. I don't look at the "speedo" speed on Torque - I have it displaying GPS speed.

At times, I have 3 different GPS devices displaying speed - Torque, OziExplorer on an Android tablet, and OziExplorer on my Android in-dash head unit. It's not unusual for the readings to disagree by 1 or 2 km/h.
            NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• BMN
              Valued Member
              • Aug 2010
              • Perth WA

Originally posted by fajer View Post
              I think by law speedo is not allowed to read under and they have a 10% error allowance meaning speedo can show 100kph but actual speed is 90kph. I think this is one reason people appear to be sitting on 100kph in 110kph zones. My PB reads over like yours by about 7-8% so happily sit on 118-120kph speedo reading in 110 zones and never get flashed.
              2010 PB LS Auto, 7seat, silver with lots of pinstripes, Dual batts, Toyo AT2, ARB roof rack, Rear storage/fridge, Bilstien/Kings

Comment

Originally posted by old Jack View Post

OJ.
                No I haven't. But an interesting suggestion. Not back home from overseas until mid Dec. Will give that a check. Interesting the comments from others

Comment

• BMN
                  Valued Member
                  • Aug 2010
                  • Perth WA

Worse than what i thought. They are allowed 10% +4kph.....no wonder many drive under the speed limit
                  2010 PB LS Auto, 7seat, silver with lots of pinstripes, Dual batts, Toyo AT2, ARB roof rack, Rear storage/fridge, Bilstien/Kings

Comment

• nj swb
                    Resident
                    • Jun 2007
                    • Adelaide

Originally posted by BMN View Post
                    Worse than what i thought. They are allowed 10% +4kph.....no wonder many drive under the speed limit
                    Yep. Safety first! Don't drive at the speed limit, drive under it. So people think they're "driving safely" at 95km/h, when they're really somewhere under 90, and glaring disapprovingly at everybody driving 10km/h faster - but still under the speed limit.

Ignorance may be bliss, but so many of the ignorant are still unhappy with their fellow road users.

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• BMN
                      Valued Member
                      • Aug 2010
                      • Perth WA

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                      Yep. Safety first! Don't drive at the speed limit, drive under it. So people think they're "driving safely" at 95km/h, when they're really somewhere under 90, and glaring disapprovingly at everybody driving 10km/h faster - but still under the speed limit.

Ignorance may be bliss, but so many of the ignorant are still unhappy with their fellow road users.
                      All while they sit in the right hand lane.

Comment

• Dicko1
                        Valued Member
                        • Dec 2014
                        • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by BMN View Post
                        All while they sit in the right hand lane.

And do 5kph over the speed limit when they hit the overtaking lane...bastards!!
                        Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X