• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fester
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2013
    • Gympie Qld

Hey guys I've posted this on the Triton thread in case it helps research a better solution to the EGR defeat. Just putting here also to spark (no pun intended) someone electronically smart and keep the development alive.

:-
    Gidday guys, I've been reading through this and the Challenger forum over the last week in prep of picking up our Challenger today. I've been battling to get through this thread to see if there is a definitive solution and if my "direction" had been covered fully. I'm bringing this idea from my Jeep experience which is a 2003 Grand Cherokee running the 2.7 Mercedes CRD., It too has the same EGR system so this EGR crap has not been improved upon in the last 10 years. Having had to remove my manifold and clean myself and then doing the EGR mod after I was adamant I'd do the same to any subsequent diesel. That now being the wifes PB. You all know well the issue is not just rhe exhasut soot recirculating through the engine but the oil blowby mixing with the soot and creating an incredibly sticky and thick tar like substance. I spent days and many many litres of strong degreaser and other chemicals getting my manifold clean.

Any my requirement for a solution is to be non detectable under normal circumstances and easily reversible although if point one is achieved well enough point 2 is never likely to be required. This leads to an electrical solution in my book as any mechanical solution, other than your blanking plate is fairly easy to detect in a roadside examination.

You guys appear to be close but not quite there (no offence meant). The idea I think is to disconnect the EGR signal to stop it functioning, easy pull the plug. But as you know we have to deal with the smarts of the ECU. The throtte body to me is not the answer as the means to deal with it are not stealth, also I think it is a secondary function and not a controlling function of the EGR. I see info on tricking the MAP sensor which makes sense and ties in with some of the fault codes but if I compare to the MB (Merc) system I not entirely sure if it is the true heart of the matter.

I see a fleeting mention of the MAF but then comment as it is a big can of worms but I think the mods to the throttle butterfly and the MAP are more so. This is where I'd like to bring in the knowledge base of the MB system and solution in the hope that Mitsubishi have actually done the same and that soemone on here can test it out. Unfortunately I do not have the equipment to test, nor do I have the scan tools to reset any codes and as this is supposed to be my wifes daily driver I will be skinned alive if any codes, CEL's or limp modes trigger.

I know this is an older engine and monitoring processes may have changed over the years but I don't see any talk from you guys to rule out if the MAF is the real monitoring source for EGR operation. It is possible that some manufacturers have stuck with a proven and therefore simple procedure. I'm not entirely up with exactly what is happening with the MAF sensing but itis to do with the MAF sensing less cold air intake requirement when the EGR is open as the extra air flow required has already come from the EGR. This is why the MAF can sense what is happening even when it is upstream of the introducd EGR. The thread on the MB forum in relation to my engine didn't go into much detail of exactly how they tested the voltage signals so I can't help there but the wiring mod is very simple so I'm hoping simple to test for someone with electronic smarts. The signal wire from the MAF back to the ECU is spliced into to give it a modified signal when the EGR valve is energised and in fact non of the wiring actually had to be cut so is easily reversible and being simple wiring easy to hide in the loom.

I'll try and explain the wiring mod to see if it makes any sense to how it works but at the end of the day it is about dropping the voltage the MAF sends to the ECU when the EGR is energised. So a resistor is wired into the 12 volt feed to the EGR solenoid/motor (1K ohm). The signal wire from the ECU to the EGR motor has a diode and resistor (470 ohm) wired into it and this is tee'd into the MAF wire. The modified 12v wire is tee'd into the EGR signal wire (which now goes to the MAF wire) downstream of the diode. I'll post a pic of the wiring diagram to explain better when I download one across.

This is a very simple circuit that completely disables the EGR in most MB diesels of that era that use an electrically triggered vacuum solenoid to open the EGR. The EGR valve and plumbing is not touched, the vacuum line remains connected just the plug is disconnected. I spliced into my loom downstream and ran my wiring inside the loom all taped up and totally invisible but some have simply plugged their wires into the EGR plug then onto the MAF wire. This mod is not detectable by any MB diagnostics as the ECU thinks everything is functioning as normal. I expect the only way it could be detected was with sniffing hardware etc.

The other good thing about this mod or one similar is the MB one for my engine cost me about $2.50 and cause you have to buy the resistors in a 6 pack that cost could actually cover a couple of vehicles, it's that cheap. Fingers crossed.

Hope I'm not upsetting anyone but thought this could be another avenue to investigate. I really want to disable the EGR but cannot do it with plumbing into the MAP sensor or codes coming up. The hole in the plate may be better than nothing but to me is not a proper fix and will just slow down the enivitable and if it starts to clog eventually may trigger a fault still.

I have seen another fix on the MB forum for a later engine which looked like it had a few more circuits in it but still the same basic principal so when I find it I'll see if I can put uop a link.

Comment

• 260DET
      Valued Member
      • Nov 2012
      • Brisbane

That very interesting, just a quick thought as I'm in the middle of rush preparing another car. On the PB, would it be possible to leave all the present electronics and other bits in place so it still works as far as the ECU is concerned but disconnect or isolate it mechanically so that it does nothing?
      Richard.......MY12 silver base model auto rear driver tow truck and shopping trolley. Bilsteins, Firestone rear air bags, HR towbar, Scangauge II and aftermarket reverse camera/GPS navigation unit. SOLD

Comment

• fester
        Valued Member
        • Feb 2013
        • Gympie Qld

No the mechanical isolation is the blanking plate that has been covered in detail on the triton forum. Although if I understand cars that have had a recent
        ECU reflash for a boost issue no longer seem to have an issue with the blanking plate. A mechanical blank on a modern CRD can be detected by the ECU as it is monitoring airflow charastics. That's the basis of the MB shunts I posted above. They fool the EU into 1 thinking the EGR is still connected and functioning by replicating the load of it and 2 adjusting the values of the MAF by the amount it gets adjusted when the EGR is normally functioning. In the MB case it done simply by 2 resistors and 1 diode. I like the work the triton boys have done but do not like the visible mods. They are too easy to pick in roadside eyeball whereas wiring mods are much harder to detect.

I don't know enough yet whether we can get our PB reflashed and then simply use the plate as ours is new but an old stock MY12 so guess I'll have to wait for our 1500 service.

Comment

• 260DET
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2012
          • Brisbane

At the risk of being a PITA, how does the ECU measure air flow through the EGR? Or is airflow though the EGR not specifically measured? The other aspect is what specifically, if anything, regulates airflow through the EGR? I'm assuming a valve of some sort.
          Richard.......MY12 silver base model auto rear driver tow truck and shopping trolley. Bilsteins, Firestone rear air bags, HR towbar, Scangauge II and aftermarket reverse camera/GPS navigation unit. SOLD

Comment

• 900canoes
            Valued Member
            • May 2008
            • FNQ

Funnily enough, the EGR does have an EGR valve. The ECU operates the valve after processing info from ....

Air flow sensor
            Crank angle sensor
            Engine coolant temperature
            sensor
            No. 1 intake air temperature
            sensor
            No. 2 intake air temperature
            sensor
            Manifold absolute pressure
            sensor
            Barometric pressure sensor
            Vehicle speed sensor
            A/C switch

EDIT, also the throttle valve and EGR valve positions are required via the ECU
            2010 (MY11) PB LS Manual. 2017 LS-U DMax spacecab.

Comment

• fester
              Valued Member
              • Feb 2013
              • Gympie Qld

Originally posted by 900canoes View Post
              Funnily enough, the EGR does have an EGR valve. The ECU operates the valve after processing info from ....

Air flow sensor
              Crank angle sensor
              Engine coolant temperature
              sensor
              No. 1 intake air temperature
              sensor
              No. 2 intake air temperature
              sensor
              Manifold absolute pressure
              sensor
              Barometric pressure sensor
              Vehicle speed sensor
              A/C switch

EDIT, also the throttle valve and EGR valve positions are required via the ECU
              Originally posted by 260DET View Post
              At the risk of being a PITA, how does the ECU measure air flow through the EGR? Or is airflow though the EGR not specifically measured? The other aspect is what specifically, if anything, regulates airflow through the EGR? I'm assuming a valve of some sort.
              This is where I'm struggling just a little. In confirming exactly what are the main indicators for operation and which are slaves. In theory the EGR and throttle valve could both be slaves and for argument sake the MAF and MAP could be the measurement tools. Yes the other items mentioned by 900canoes can all contribute to the ECU determining what EGR regime to instigate but what actually confirms that it is happening.

In the simplier Jeep system it appears that the MAF is the only thing that confirms that the EGR is flowing correctly as the EGR IS a simple slave valve. The ECU knows how much it told it to open but relys on the change of airflow over the MAF to confirm it is happening.

In relation to your question Richard I don't know but from a pic I saaw it appears the PB EGR valve has multiple wires (Jeep only 3- earth, 12 volt and signal) so some of those wires might actually be signal back to the ECU advising position of the valve.

Comment

• 900canoes
                Valued Member
                • May 2008
                • FNQ

In relation to your question Richard I don't know but from a pic I saaw it appears the PB EGR valve has multiple wires (Jeep only 3- earth, 12 volt and signal) so some of those wires might actually be signal back to the ECU advising position of the valve.
                Yes, you are right fester, (see in my EDIT in the previous post). If the position of the valve is not where the ECU commands, a fault light would appear.

Comment

• 260DET
                  Valued Member
                  • Nov 2012
                  • Brisbane

So, it looks like when a fault comes up with a blank EGR plate fitted the ECU must be picking up some difference in intake air flow somewhere. Or am I missing something?

Comment

• fester
                    Valued Member
                    • Feb 2013
                    • Gympie Qld

Yes, if I understand the Triton boys it has to do with the resulting boost or lack thereof. If the EGR is blanked only then the ECU thinks it's working. It decides that when the EGR is open it can close the throttle valve to balance overall air flow as there EGR is providing a quantity of air. By closing the throttle valve and with the EGR already blanked off air flow drops and causes a partial vacuum or dodgy boost signal and the ECU has a hissy fit. The Triton guys have worked around it but with a few mechanical mods (read very obvious) which would stand out like dogs goolies in a visual inspection.

As much as I hate it for now I think I'm going to have to go with the partial blanking and just slow the manifold gunking down rather than block off as I cannot have a situation of CEL of limp mode happening to my wife, it's her car.

Comment

• RMX
                      • Apr 2011
                      • Melbourne

There is definitely a sensor within the EGR system that reports EGR flow to the ECU.

My ECU recognised instantly that it was not getting the correct volume of EGR anymore and when I do a scan, I get the following message:

I'm not game to hit the 'not ok' button to see what happens as I'm not getting CEL's and I'd hate to ruin that... I'd be interested to see the reading on an plate with a hole drilled.
                      The first XROX equipped Challenger.

XROX Bar and Rock Sliders, 4" Stainless Steel Snorkel by Raslarr Engineering, 3" Lift with Dobinson MRR Remote Reservoir Shocks and Dobinson Springs, 33s, KMC HD Heist Wheels, Winch, Boo's Bash Plates, Locked, HID's, 9" & 4" LED Spotlights, Tinted, Custom Roof Console with UHF and relocated MFC, Custom rear storage with drawer, fridge slide, hard wired air compressor and 15" Rockford Fosgate subwoofer

*Click links above to be taken to each build post*

Comment

• old Jack
                        Regular
                        • Jun 2011
                        • Adelaide, South Australia.

I like your work and thinking RMX so will follow this closely.
                        Away in Europe for 2 weeks for work , cold over here, plenty of snow.
                        Missing Challenger and family ( maybe wrong order? ).

cheers, old Jack.
                        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• 900canoes
                          Valued Member
                          • May 2008
                          • FNQ

Was wondering why you hadn't jumped in earlier old jack.

RMX, rather than a flow sensor, would there be a temp sensor in the EGR?

Comment

• bige
                            • Apr 2010

the egr has 5 wires, 2 for the motor ,3 for the position sensor
                            thats it , no flow sensors or temp sensors
                            with a blank plate in its possible to get error codes P0299 or P1299
                            witch relate to underboost codes
                            the latest ECU reflash changes the parameters in the ECU software
                            to prevent loging of these error codes, unless there's a actual fault
                            with some other component, eg. boost sensor,vgt
                            mine has never logged a code
                            cheers

Comment

• madmik
                              • Jul 2012
                              • Melbourne

RMX, I don't have a plate, but I get the same Error Code in the Torque app, although mine shows around 115-140mg/stroke. I don't mind as I figure less gunk is better.
                              2012 LS Auto 7 Seater, OEM nudge bar, OEM Tow bar, Thule roof racks. Phillips +100 HB LB bulbs, Century NS70 4wd battery, Bendix 4wd pads, Pirelli Scorpion ATR 265/65/17, Fumoto Valve.

Comment

• CC2005
                                • Sep 2011
                                • Mornington Peninsula

Originally posted by bige View Post
                                the egr has 5 wires, 2 for the motor ,3 for the position sensor
                                thats it , no flow sensors or temp sensors
                                with a blank plate in its possible to get error codes P0299 or P1299
                                witch relate to underboost codes
                                the latest ECU reflash changes the parameters in the ECU software
                                to prevent loging of these error codes, unless there's a actual fault
                                with some other component, eg. boost sensor,vgt
                                mine has never logged a code
                                cheers

Old thread addressing current issues.

I was having a search on old threads in regard eliminating the EGR, whilst having a hidden fix although this thread killed off what I thought was a decent brain storming session-thanks. Back to the chalk and crayons for me.

I was thinking that I might trying to implement a switchable ERG motor bypass. My thoughts were along the lines of fitting a resister with the same resistance of the EGR's motor coil on the positive (# 6) to the motor, and the ECU might think all is good in that department. And I was also assuming that the ECU is receiving some information feedback via the negative (#4), in which I believe an NPN transistor if fitted so I thought this may appease that? As the ECU is reading the stoke as well, this may well make it more so somewhat more convoluted and will result in a fail? Oh well - back to pushing my face into a Coopers Pale Ale. (Give me a good old pre mid 1980's naturally aspirated engine - preferably an earlier vintage 186.)

this video is a demosration on how to test the EGR Valve with a scan tool to see if the egr position sensor is coresponding with the acutation of the ECU out...

Cheers
                                Last edited by CC2005; 12-09-14, 12:00 AM.
                                PB MY11 LS 4D56 - auto, with stuff.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X