• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mlb
    • Jul 2018
    • Albany, WA

Advise on ~$20-25k Pajero or Challenger

Hi. I’m after a ~$20k-25k diesel Pajero (2010+) or PC Challenger. It will be a second vehicle for longer trips and camping/surfing the southern WA beaches. I’m after a very reliable vehicle with excellent 4wd ability for coastal sand tracks and soft beaches. Prefer automatic trans for ease of beach driving. Don’t need 7 seats and the only towing will be a light tinny

I’m doing the Pajero vs Challenger vs other debate, so any suggestions would be much appreciated. I previously had a PA Challenger and really like the look and configuration of the PC Challengers, but I’m worried about overheating issues and reports of a thirsty auto transmission. Anyone have a guess of the percentage of PC Challengers that have had or will need engine replacements? Do people think the problem was solved in the late 2014 and 2015 models? The Pajero seems like the safer option for reliability, but at least on paper the Challenger should be better in the sand/ soft tracks (16" rims, solid rear axle, and standard rear diff lock) and is considerably less expensive

Any comments or leads on vehicles for sale would be much appreciated!
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Hi MLB,

The Pajero and the Challenger are totally different drives on the road, I prefer the Challenger experience over the Pajero but that is just me. I have driven both extensively both on and off road and was not limited by budget when I purchased my Challenger new, 7 years ago, I could have brought any 4wd I wanted to buy but the Challenger represented the best value and ticked more boxes for my requirements than any other 4wd at the time.

Offroad there is also quite a big difference with how they feel, not that one is much better than the other, they are just very different to drive. The Pajero has a much better Traction Control system but it does over heat quickly when pushed, the Challengers is slow to react and requires too much wheel spin to engage, RDL cancels this out. The IRS is sometimes better than the live axle but other times it is worse, both have IFS. Pajero rear overhang is greater and the scoop rear bumper is just that and is easily damaged, the Challenger does not suffer from this problem. Pajero factory side steps are also easily damaged as they are not as robust as the Challengers. Both cars have tinfoil underbody plates than will distort even in soft sand so an upgrade is critical otherwise damage will occur $$$$. I prefer the lift up raer tailgate over the swing barn door and the under slung spare is easier to handle when you need to change a tyre.

I regularly travel in the company with many Gen 4 Pajero's both manual trans and auto trans, there is not a huge difference in fuel consumption when at touring weights and speeds. The Challenger has better aerodynamics but the Pajero has the larger engine and better auto trans so the fuel consumptions are similar. Both suffer from high ATF temps if you do not have a torque convertor lockup kit, particularly off road in deep soft sand, towing and in hilly conditions. The larger engine Pajero is the pick for medium to heavy towing as it has the extra power and torque.

Challenger is cheaper to buy so you get a newer/lower km car for the same price or have cash over to spend on mods.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• pajeromack
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2014
      • NSW

Originally posted by mlb View Post
      Hi. I’m after a ~$20k-25k diesel Pajero (2010+) or PC Challenger. It will be a second vehicle for longer trips and camping/surfing the southern WA beaches. I’m after a very reliable vehicle with excellent 4wd ability for coastal sand tracks and soft beaches. Prefer automatic trans for ease of beach driving. Don’t need 7 seats and the only towing will be a light tinny
      Having owned both vehicles, they both go well on sand. The Challenger is significantly lighter with the same size tyres so it goes a bit better. In regards to engines, there was a bad batch with head sealing issues which Mitsubishi fixed under warranty. You shouldn't have a problem.
      The Challenger is a bit narrower inside and out so easier on the windy tracks.
      The Pajero has a better tuned traction control system, but many Challengers have a factory rear locker (as well as traction control).
      The vehicles have a completely different construction (unibody vs body on frame) but it doesn't seem to make a huge difference in practice.

Can't comment on the auto.

At this stage I'd be shopping on price and feature-set.
      Have a look at some Prados too - you get the benefit of dual tanks and a better low-range gearing.

Comment

• mlb
        • Jul 2018
        • Albany, WA

Thanks for the advise old Jack and pajeromack! I test drove a few Pajeros and Challengers. I generally like the Challenger better, but I'm leaning toward a Pajero just because of the potential for overheating issues in the Challenger. It also seems like the overall build quality should be better in the Japanese built Pajero vs the Thai built Challenger? Now just waiting for a good one in my price range to pop up!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...
        X