• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ozzz
    • May 2019
    • Brisbane

would bash plate affect fuel economy

I finally finished all plates on my Pajero and went to some off road last week. I noticed the fuel consumption inceased 1 liter per 100km immediately from 10.x /100 to 12 after installation. I dont think extra 33kg weight could contribute such significantly. Any thoughts,such as airflow change?

btw, my dash was quite solid, I will do more test next time

thanks in advance.
    My20 Nx Gls Graphite | Tow Bar| Plates Sum,Trans&Rear| Munji Egr| Provent Catch Can| Automate Pro| Rock Slider| Paddle Shift| 265 70 r17 Goodyear Silenttrac| Koni 90&88 plus Kings| Tuningkit Race​​​​​
  • Nab
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2012
    • Perth

How far have you driven it to make the fuel consumption jump up? I would of thought go through at least a tank full to compare.
    SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
    NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• Ozzz
      • May 2019
      • Brisbane

Originally posted by Nab View Post
      How far have you driven it to make the fuel consumption jump up? I would of thought go through at least a tank full to compare.
      Good point. I have finished the tank with average 12 and filled up today. the dash shows 12 and range accordingly 470 km for 55 l added. I should finish this new fill in two weeks.
      My20 Nx Gls Graphite | Tow Bar| Plates Sum,Trans&Rear| Munji Egr| Provent Catch Can| Automate Pro| Rock Slider| Paddle Shift| 265 70 r17 Goodyear Silenttrac| Koni 90&88 plus Kings| Tuningkit Race​​​​​

Comment

• AndrewRe
        • Nov 2019
        • Mudgeeraba, Qld

I was looking at bash plates today after seeing this earlier. Any chance air is restricted from passing thru intercooler? A lot of the plates on the market have minimal to poor air funnelling to intercooler. Infact i have gone front mount as oem position seems insufficient to me.
        Tuner suggested it. Egts so much lower now.
        Just a thought

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
        HPD Front Mount Intercooler Upgrade, PPD 3" Exhaust, 3.5" Safari Snorkel, XRox Bullbar, 2"lift using 300KG upgrade King Springs and ToughDog Shocks, Automate,

Comment

• erad
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2015
          • Cooma NSW

I have a Bushskinz intercooler plate on my NW, and I feel that it restricts the airflow to the intercooler more than the original Mitsubishi guard. Under normal driving there is probably little difference and no effect, but recently I was towing my caravan to/from Brisbane in horrid conditions. 45 Deg C, dust and smoke and gale force winds (headwinds at that). I felt that when the Inlet Air Temperature got to around 105 Deg C, the engine performance suddenly dropped off a bit - almost as if the ECU was derating the engine. Has anyone else felt this derating?

Comment

• AndrewRe
            • Nov 2019
            • Mudgeeraba, Qld

Originally posted by erad View Post
            I have a Bushskinz intercooler plate on my NW, and I feel that it restricts the airflow to the intercooler more than the original Mitsubishi guard. Under normal driving there is probably little difference and no effect, but recently I was towing my caravan to/from Brisbane in horrid conditions. 45 Deg C, dust and smoke and gale force winds (headwinds at that). I felt that when the Inlet Air Temperature got to around 105 Deg C, the engine performance suddenly dropped off a bit - almost as if the ECU was derating the engine. Has anyone else felt this derating?
            Wow. I reckon I would get an egt guage

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
            HPD Front Mount Intercooler Upgrade, PPD 3" Exhaust, 3.5" Safari Snorkel, XRox Bullbar, 2"lift using 300KG upgrade King Springs and ToughDog Shocks, Automate,

Comment

• geopaj
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2007
              • Adelaide

I’ve also had the‘pleasure’ of experiencing inlet air temps in 100-105c range and wondered if the engine de-rated. I can’t say 100% It could have been psychological because I was trying to also back off and show some mechanical sympathy (it was a hot day in a long stretch of extremely soft sand in low range so couldn’t completely back off)
              Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• old Jack
                Regular
                • Jun 2011
                • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by geopaj View Post
                I’ve also had the‘pleasure’ of experiencing inlet air temps in 100-105c range and wondered if the engine de-rated. I can’t say 100% It could have been psychological because I was trying to also back off and show some mechanical sympathy (it was a hot day in a long stretch of extremely soft sand in low range so couldn’t completely back off)
                Modern CRD engine ECU’s monitor several air temperatures, air density and fuel temperature, and many other parameters, so when all of these are elevated or above/below certain limits, the engine ECU controls the output of the engine.
                And you thought the driver was in control!

OJ.
                2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Nab
                  Valued Member
                  • Mar 2012
                  • Perth

A few years ago someone on here did some tests by completely blocking the air holes to the inter cooler (with cardboard and duct tape?) and comparing to the standard bash plates. From memory there was bugger all difference as the inter cooler position is pretty crap from factory
                  SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
                  NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• old Jack
                    Regular
                    • Jun 2011
                    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by Nab View Post
                    A few years ago someone on here did some tests by completely blocking the air holes to the inter cooler (with cardboard and duct tape?) and comparing to the standard bash plates. From memory there was bugger all difference as the inter cooler position is pretty crap from factory
                    Thread of tests carried out.

OJ.
                    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• erad
                      Valued Member
                      • Mar 2015
                      • Cooma NSW

With the intercooler in the OEM position, I think it generally works OK out on the open road. I still think that the Bushskinz intercooler guard blocks the airflow to the fins too much. The circumstances which I was quoting was very unusual - long uphill climbs, towing a moderately heavy load with strong 45 Deg C headwinds. Coming home, the temperatures were 'only' 41 Deg C, and the de-rating didn't seem to happen. I guess that with an auto transmission, you probably wouldn't notice de-rating happening, but with my manual transmission, I certainly felt something.

Now, travelling at slow speed in soft sand, that would be a totally different case. In that case, I think the Johnny Tigg intercooler would be the only way t go because it is mounted in front of the radiator and therefore the engine fan would be pulling air through it much more effectively.

Comment

• NTBenny
                        • May 2017
                        • Newcastle

I too have towed with up to 108deg intake temps climbing hills on the M1. In my opinion with the intake temps being almost double what you would normally experience the reduction in the manifold air density could see a reduction in hp in the order of at least 10%.

I towed this Xmas break just gone with ambient air temps of 43deg. With the JT intercooler I did not see intake temps exceed 60deg on hills I've previously seen >100deg using the factory intercooler.

Benny
                        2011 NT Pajero Platinum, DCS 80AH Extreme Battery, Stedi 8.5" LED driving lights, Bushskinz side steps & bash plates, Provent 200, Auto-mate TC lockup, Derale fan forced trans cooler, custom 3inch exhaust, JT intercooler, Bilstein + Lovells 2 inch lift, Airbag Man bags, DBA slotted rotors, braided brake lines, diff+gearbox+transfer breathers, Redarc boost & EGT gauge, Tuned by TME 141rwkw 598nm.

Comment

• psproule
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2007
                          • Googong, NSW

Yes, it derates noticably at 105 degrees and limits boost to 15psi as well. And the inlet air temp sensor stops counting at 120 degrees. Dont ask me how i know. Now planning a FMIC upgrade.

Pat
                          2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
                          2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

• doog
                            • May 2009

With the intercooler in the OEM position, I think it generally works OK out on the open road. I still think that the Bushskinz intercooler guard blocks the airflow to the fins too much. The circumstances which I was quoting was very unusual - long uphill climbs, towing a moderately heavy load with strong 45 Deg C headwinds. Coming home, the temperatures were 'only' 41 Deg C, and the de-rating didn't seem to happen. I guess that with an auto transmission, you probably wouldn't notice de-rating happening, but with my manual transmission, I certainly felt something.

Now, travelling at slow speed in soft sand, that would be a totally different case. In that case, I think the Johnny Tigg intercooler would be the only way t go because it is mounted in front of the radiator and therefore the engine fan would be pulling air through it much more effectively.
                            Agree with ERAD. Had the same experience on my previous MY13 with the bushskinz Intercooler guard. I now run the standard Mitsubishi plate for the intercooler and the bushskinz sump guard when towing boat up and down freeway. Put the Bushskinz intercooler guard on if the trip involves off-road.

Comment

• Dicko1
                              Valued Member
                              • Dec 2014
                              • Cairns, FNQ

I recently removed my auto box protection plate and the one behind it. Both Bushskinz. Probably 40 kilo all up. Noticed engine temp dropped 2 degrees. Cant comment on auto box as it is constantly fluctuating....would have to have dropped a couple of degrees with the increased airflow. Removed the plates as I am just on the edge of the limit weight wise with a camper on the rear, outbard motor in the car and 60 litre engel full of frozen goods. Fuel is about the same. 40 odd kilos wont affect it unless it was a large profile sitting on the roof.
                              Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X