• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kumabear
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2013
    • Sydney, Macarther Region

Rear wheel bearings

So in the process of replacing the passenger rear wheel bearing about 12 months after the drivers side rear went (under warranty at the time)

It is strange to me that both rear ones have now failed but the front ones are still nice and smooth.

Car only has 83,000 km on it just find it strange that both rears have failed, are they a different design to the fronts or do they just have a higher load on them?

Anyone else had similar issues?
    2011 MY12 NW Pajero GL (White)

Factory Rear Diff lock | Modded Traction Control | Hankook RT03 MT LT265/70/17 | Uniden 7760nb UHF | Opposite Lock 3 Loop steel bar with fog lights |Runva EXW12000 | Bushskinz plates and sliders |Ultimate Suspension true 50mm Lift (above factory trim)

Wishlist:
  • grhyso
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2012
    • Perth

I've only had to replace my rears. From memory when I was looking into it the design of the bearings the fronts are a better design, possibly sealed where as the rears are poorly designed with basically no seal.

I'll let someone who has a better idea than me confirm or deny that, mine were replaced by the mechanic.
    2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

• Hatto
      Valued Member
      • Nov 2013
      • Mandurah WA

I replaced my rears not long ago as one of them was on its way out. Something I've been wondering lately though is, should I have packed them with grease somehow? It was my intention to when I ordered them but when they arrived and I saw how they were I couldn't see how they could be packed with grease at all. So I just smeared a bit of grease on splines etc and put it all back together.
      Am I right in saying they can't be packed and are just bolt on items?
      Cheers, Hatto

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
      ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.

Comment

• Kumabear
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2013

From what I understand, they are a complete hub sub assembly and just bolt on / bolt off.

Factory Rear Diff lock | Modded Traction Control | Hankook RT03 MT LT265/70/17 | Uniden 7760nb UHF | Opposite Lock 3 Loop steel bar with fog lights |Runva EXW12000 | Bushskinz plates and sliders |Ultimate Suspension true 50mm Lift (above factory trim)

Wishlist:

Comment

• eci_thump
          • Apr 2010
          • Karratha, WA

Currently going through the exact same issue. RR bearing gone at ~85k, RL bearing starting to go at ~100k. only logical explanation I can think of is the lack of a seal on the hub. It certainly feels that this sort of life out of the bearing is poor, and when the agent tells you it's ~$700 for a replacement OEM hub, you cant help but laugh. I've just ordered an OEM hub for $250 from Amayama but hasn't arrived yet so fingers crossed no dramas, not that i've had any in the past from them.
          2011 NT Pajero RX2 DiD

ARB Commercial bullbar, 22" LED light bar, Black Duck seat covers, Rhino roof rack, Bushskinz, 2" lift, Tough dog front, King Springs rear, Bridgestone Dueler D697

Comment

• NJV6
            Valued Member
            • Sep 2010
            • New Zealand

I got 90000 out of the RR in my NT as well.
            1994 NJ SWB, 3.5 Manual, 285/75/16 Deegan 38s MT, 25mm body lift, Twin ARB air lockers, XD9000 winch, custom bar.
            1991 NH LWB, 3.9 V8, trayback, solid front axle, Toyota hi mount winch
            2011 NT GLX DiD, 3.2 Manual, 285/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, SPV EGR, Lovells SD rear, HD front, Bilsteins, Custom underbody protection, Safari Snorkel, JTig intercooler and loads of zip ties in the dash...

Comment

• Gareth
              • Nov 2012
              • Adelaide (North)

Ive replaced the RL twice in 250k but the RR is still original and all good. Cant fault the fronts as yet!
              Silver 2008 NS VRX 3.2 DiD
              Ironman / Lovell 50mm lift, 275/65R18 Maxxis Big Horn's, Custom Rear bar protection, Bush Skinz intercooler guard, 4mm oil pan guard (self made), Bush Skinz Trans and Transfer guards, Bush Skinz Rock sliders, ARB Deluxe colour coded bull bar, ORU 12,000LB winch, Light force 240 Spot Lights, Custom dual battery carrier / Red Arc Isolator, UHF, Custom Tuned Uni-Chip.

Comment

• Kumabear
                Valued Member
                • Sep 2013

well at least I probably don't have to worry about the fronts suddenly going bad as well.

I am lucky enough that one of our clients at work is a retired mechanic with a full workshop at home who is happy to teach me how to do the work and use his hoist for a small donation, I should get out of it for $250 or so including the part.

I am also glad I didn't bother with the $640 OEM ones, paid $150 from peps for the part.

Wishlist:

Comment

• kiwi1973
                  Valued Member
                  • Sep 2012
                  • New Zealand

I just checked my front ones in the weekend to see if with nearly 200,000km's on the car there were any signs of them needing attention soon, but they are absolutely fine. Both my rear wheel bearings have been replaced though. I'm surprised to see the number of you with rear bearings not even lasting 100,000km though.

Since parts from Amayama are genuine OEM, the price difference between $250 vs $700 at the dealer must all be extra margin that just lines someone's pocket. It's astonishing the markup that is put on car parts.

Whenever we travel remotely now spare wheel bearings (hub assembly) are always carried. I can replace these side of the road (or track) if need be. A collapsed wheel bearing will leave you completely stranded. It's happened to me once and never again. An essential part to carry in spares box.
                  2007 Shogun 3.2DID. UK Diamond Spec. Harrop Eaton front E-locker. MCC Bullbar. Runva 11XP winch. 17" Dotz rims with 32" STT Pro. Koni HT RAID 90 series with +2" EHD Lovells springs. ASFIR protection plates for engine & transmission. DIY steel rocksliders. LRA 81 litre auxiliary fuel tank. Waeco CFX-40. Home made drawers & fridge slide. Dual power - 120a/h AGM with CTEK DC-DC. LED lighting. 43 litre water tank with two electric pumps - one for tap (via filter) & one via heat exchanger.

Comment

• Luke68
                    • May 2017
                    • Emerald victoria

Sorry to bring up and old thread, but I seem to be getting bearing noises from the front of my 2010 3.2 NT Wagon. Haven't had a chance to pull the wheels off due crook back. I have read that there are two types of hubs. 12mm and 14mm mounting holes. Can anyone out there tell me what the other difference is apart from almost double the price for a hub????
                    Why could you not just drill and tap a 14mm hole into the 12mm hole??? (If that's possible. Should try and experiment on a piece of metal and see I suppose).
                    Sometimes I whish for the simple days of my Discovery 1 Diesel with solid axles?
                    Cheers for your help
                    Luke

Comment

• craka
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2009
                      • Newcastle (Newie)

If you punch your VIN into some where like this https://partsouq.com/

it should list the part number of the hub for your vehicle, you than should be able to look for equivalent aftermarket hub that way as well.
                      NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

• kiwi1973
                        Valued Member
                        • Sep 2012
                        • New Zealand

I believe that in addition to 12mm vs 14mm there is a slight difference in the spacing. Be sure to get the right part rather than trying to modify something to suit. If you order through Partsouq you'll get genuine OEM quality at about 1/3 the dealer price. You may well find even cheaper on Ebay, but it may be complete crap. Partsouq is a good way to go
                        2007 Shogun 3.2DID. UK Diamond Spec. Harrop Eaton front E-locker. MCC Bullbar. Runva 11XP winch. 17" Dotz rims with 32" STT Pro. Koni HT RAID 90 series with +2" EHD Lovells springs. ASFIR protection plates for engine & transmission. DIY steel rocksliders. LRA 81 litre auxiliary fuel tank. Waeco CFX-40. Home made drawers & fridge slide. Dual power - 120a/h AGM with CTEK DC-DC. LED lighting. 43 litre water tank with two electric pumps - one for tap (via filter) & one via heat exchanger.

Comment

• MarkAW
                          • Aug 2016
                          • Point Cook

Both my rear bearings on NX Pajero need replacement at 140,000 km. Rear passenger is alot worse then rear drivers so replacing both.

Picked up 2 genuine (at least i hope they are) rear bearing hubs from Mits Fix in Bayswater for $740

Mitsubishi dealer quoted $600 something each.

Anyone had any dealings with Mits Fix?
                          2015 NX Pajero, Smartbar, Warn XD9000 Spydura rope, Toyo Open Country AT2, OME 2" lift, Airtec snorkel, Pioneer Platform, Piranha DBE-SX 180 dual battery, Boo's Bash Plates, Lightforce Striker HID, Kings 2.5 x 2.5 awning, Scangauge2, HPD catch can

Comment

• Axis
                            Valued Member
                            • Jul 2011
                            • Highett Vic

Originally posted by Luke68 View Post
                            Sorry to bring up and old thread, but I seem to be getting bearing noises from the front of my 2010 3.2 NT Wagon. Haven't had a chance to pull the wheels off due crook back. I have read that there are two types of hubs. 12mm and 14mm mounting holes. Can anyone out there tell me what the other difference is apart from almost double the price for a hub????
                            Why could you not just drill and tap a 14mm hole into the 12mm hole??? (If that's possible. Should try and experiment on a piece of metal and see I suppose).
                            Sometimes I whish for the simple days of my Discovery 1 Diesel with solid axles?
                            Cheers for your help
                            Luke

I replaced one rear bearing and I think that the 12mm are for short Wheel base Gen 4 and Gen 3, and the 14mm are for long wheel base Gen 4. Not sure of any other differences though.
                            07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates

Comment

• reciprovac
                              • Jan 2011
                              • broadford Victoria, Australia

Originally posted by eci_thump View Post
                              Currently going through the exact same issue. RR bearing gone at ~85k, RL bearing starting to go at ~100k. only logical explanation I can think of is the lack of a seal on the hub. It certainly feels that this sort of life out of the bearing is poor, and when the agent tells you it's ~$700 for a replacement OEM hub, you cant help but laugh. I've just ordered an OEM hub for $250 from Amayama but hasn't arrived yet so fingers crossed no dramas, not that i've had any in the past from them.
                              Cannot understand this,my Nw second hand,with its servicing done at Ayers rock garage still has original wheel bearings at 160,000.
                              Would have had plenty of sand if inside the door trims are any indication.
                              had them checked recently and no free play or noise with plenty of life left.
                              I would suggest 85,000 is very premature and should be claimable.
                              Regards
                              2013 Pajero GLX-R auto Diesel.
                              Tough dog 40mm raised suspension,ARB shocks,MCC bull bar,electric winch,bash plates,draws , engel fridge,dual batteries,air comp,water tank and electric pump,inverter,DC/DC charger,air bags, converter lock up system,diff/traction control modification.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X