• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 260DET
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2012
    • Brisbane

Toyota Quality?

For those having problems with their PB's and also for anyone who thinks that by paying more for a Toyota you will get a better quality vehicle, a couple of real life incidents from personal sources so we can get some perspective.

One, blokes V8 diesel Landcruiser breaks down with his wife driving, luckily near help. Vehicle has done 130,000 km, owned from new, just out of warranty. Problem is with the fuel system, $8000 to fix.

Two, another diesel Landcruiser still under warranty, multiple problems that Toyota refuse to fix. Bloke takes them to court, Toyota settle confidentially so the owner can't discuss it further. But he has been seen driving around in a new Landcruiser with a big smile on his face.

I'm not in the motor game so I don't have contact with that many diesel owners, am just posting this info to show that with vehicles like ours problems can occur and the occasional owner can get a dud. Whatever the make.
    Richard.......MY12 silver base model auto rear driver tow truck and shopping trolley. Bilsteins, Firestone rear air bags, HR towbar, Scangauge II and aftermarket reverse camera/GPS navigation unit. SOLD
  • Onslow
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2007
    • Perth, Western Australia

Yes, I have to agree. Toyota's awesome reliability has not been the case for many years now. A quick look on Pradopoint will confirm this, with the number of broken Prado front diffs, injector issues (also present in Hilux and 200 Series), the broken chassis due to the fitment of steel bullbars (also 200 Series), and the broken front guards due to aftermarket suspension. Not to mention the design issue with the new V8 where the starter motor is in a poor position for a 4wd, and the suspension that sags within a short period, oh, and the well known poor LSD's in many models over the past twenty years! While I agree that some of this is due to aftermarket products it also shows that the strength is just no longer there, and that most other marquees have caught up or surpassed Toyota's design and build quality these days. It also goes to show the strength of huge marketing dollars, where the average punter feels the peer pressure to buy a Toyota because the advert says they are best and puts a man down if he doesn't drive one. If the majority weren't so easily led by peer pressure marketing then it may well be a different story. I have nothing against Toyota and would certainly own one if one suited my needs, however to watch so many fall prey to the marketing over the years and then defend their decision based on reliability has given me reason to chuckle many times.
    NOW SOLD: NW MY2014 VRX 3.2 Diesel Auto, Rhino Rack Roof Rack, Sandgrabber Floor Mats, Safari Snorkel, Warn XP9.5S Winch, ARB Bull Bar, Bushskinz Underbody Protection, Lovells HD Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Firestone Airbags, Off Road Systems Rear Shelf, Boab 40Lt Water Tank, Cooper LT265/65x17 ST-Maxx Tyres, Uniden 7760 UHF Radio, LRA 58LT Long Range Tank, ARB Intensity Spotlights, Redarc BCDC Dual Battery System, Taipan XP 3in Exhaust System, Recaro Seats.

Comment

• 260DET
      Valued Member
      • Nov 2012
      • Brisbane

Yep, my post was prompted by the occasional comment here to the effect that if you want a real fourby you will move up from a PB to a Toyota
      Richard.......MY12 silver base model auto rear driver tow truck and shopping trolley. Bilsteins, Firestone rear air bags, HR towbar, Scangauge II and aftermarket reverse camera/GPS navigation unit. SOLD

Comment

• catsman
        • Feb 2012
        • Western Melbourne, VIC

Originally posted by Onslow View Post
        Yes, the broken chassis due to the fitment of steel bullbars (also 200 Series), and the broken front guards due to aftermarket suspension.

Not to correct you or anything but to point out the poor service of Toyota, these issues were not due to aftermarket accessories but was a design flaw which also affected FJ cruisers. It was a line Toyota were pushing to fob off any responsibility, only after failures on vehicles not fitted with these items and a shit storm with ARB that they started fixing some.

Oh and you forgot to mention prado 120 series dash cracking clean in half after 7 years, even those under a dash mat it's whole life...
        NOW: 2009 Land Rover Discovery 3 SE - I'm working on it..

WAS: '94 NJ 3L manual - ARB bullbar, IPF spotties, 2" lift, OME shocks, 31" BFG A/T. 384k and no more, RIP old girl

Comment

• Chris4x4
          • May 2012
          • Geelong

Workmates 200LC just out of warranty ABS module $2.5k given the middle finger by Toyota, must say though hasn't missed a beat since. They are built like a tank, dfferent level to Chall if you can afford one and don't mind the size, tow anything anywhere, give credit here.
          2022 Paj Sport, Grey, nicely hidden factory towbar, thanks MM,

Comment

• Mike dd
            • Jan 2014
            • Perth

we have 5 toyotas that we do field work in the pilbara with, 2 x 100 series 1 x 120 series prado and 2 x 150 series prados

the 120 has had numerous electrical and suspension problems and also problems with the rear door sagging ( didnt take long on prado point to find out this was normal )

both the 150 s are out of order at the moment 1 having two computers put in it within the same trip (currently fighting with toyota over this one) and the other has constant electrical problems that are impossible to chase down

both the 100 series have served us well , we hammer these ones towing 2 tonnes of trailer and gear on and very off road , 1 of them gearbox has gone the other is still going strong

all of our cars are under 50,000 k

when i first bought my single cab triton the crew i regularly camp with (all toyota owners) gave me a fair bit of grief but that all stopped once they saw how capable it was off road,

traded it in on a pb challenger, love it , will never buy a overpriced under performing and problematic toyota

mike

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X