• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ARGS
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2012
    • Brisbane

Replacing front disc rotors

Hi guys, so the landcruiser trip is fast approaching so I thought it best I get the front rotors replaced (front left is a little warped, got the pedal push back going on!). Have stripped everything down ok, thought i'd pull right back to stub, suss out wheel bearings etc etc. My issue is that I can't get the damn bolts that hold the disc to the hub undone!!! Is there a trick to em, I've given up this arvo, left them bathing in wd40

Oh and I'm guessing the groove in the underside of the lock nut isn't meant to be there???

1995 GLS 3.5, optioned to the shhizam with just couple of mods
  • Scoteye
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2012
    • Armidale, NSW

You can have them measured by a professional and see if they will take a machine, if they will you wont need to split them and if done correctly will get rid of the feedback, Or the pros will tell you they are beyond it.

Removing them, rattle gun, or bolt it all back together and have a buddy stand on the pedal and get out a decent sized breaker bar and single hex socket so not to strip the corners / minimise. If the rotor slips you may have to start the car and stand on the brake pedal to lock them sufficiently.

Just use common sense so not to hurt yourself if you require the engine running and use as a last resort.
    03 NP GLX 3.5 // 5 Speed Sports Auto - ECB 76mm Nudge Bar, Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventures, Towbar, Brake Controller, Rino track system, Ebay Basket, Narva 100w Compacts
    SOLD: 91 NH GLX: NH/NL Grey GLS upgrade, P/windows, 31's, B/Bar, racks, hella's.

Comment

• Stevie-Ray
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2009
      • Peakhurst, Sydney

Not worth overlooking any wear in the brakes-dept, as any worn bits will tend to overheat quicker, then they distort, which leads to quicker wear, which leads to....etc.!

This person left their brake-service just a tad too long!!!

Steve
      Steve

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
      "I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"

Comment

• Scoteye
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2012
        • Armidale, NSW

Forgot to mention because the rotors are bolted to the hubs they should be checked for run-out on the rotor surface once bolted together again. But I think you would be hard up finding anyone who pays that much attention to detail

However it is generally not required just don't freek if there is still something not quite right eg feedback, you may need to get them skimmed to reduce the run-out.
        03 NP GLX 3.5 // 5 Speed Sports Auto - ECB 76mm Nudge Bar, Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventures, Towbar, Brake Controller, Rino track system, Ebay Basket, Narva 100w Compacts
        SOLD: 91 NH GLX: NH/NL Grey GLS upgrade, P/windows, 31's, B/Bar, racks, hella's.

Comment

• Scoteye
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2012
          • Armidale, NSW

Originally posted by Stevie-Ray View Post
          Not worth overlooking any wear in the brakes-dept, as any worn bits will tend to overheat quicker, then they distort, which leads to quicker wear, which leads to....etc.!

This person left their brake-service just a tad too long!!!

Steve
          LOL havent seen a rear go that far, but had the pleasure to do fronts on an EB that had worn the pads to the calliper pistons which would then "dig in" between each vent in the rotor Talk about stopping power.... INSTANTANEOUS at least at the couple of klms per hour i was doing taking it around the back to the shop.

Comment

• Pauly Faulkner
            Valued Member
            • Feb 2012
            • Maitland, NSW

If money is of concern you may be able to just have them machined if there's enough meat left.

On the car and use of a breaker bar or rattle gun is probably the best way to get them out.
            97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel
            97' NL GLS LWB Auto | 6G75 3.8ltr | Redback Headers

Comment

• Barneymutt
              Valued Member
              • Sep 2007
              • Regents Park. Qld

What I did with mine was put it in a vice and used a breaker bar and a piece of pipe.
              They are pretty tight. You will then have to lever the two parts apart.
              Make sure the mating surfaces are clean when you reassemble.

Comment

• ARGS
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2012
                • Brisbane

hmm vice that's an idea.. now, just need to get a new vice lol. Might take em both down to the brake shop and get them to do it, probably take 2 seconds for them. Plus I have the get the extended brake line for the rear made up.

will report back

Comment

• ARGS
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2012
                  • Brisbane

righto, bit of an update, bunch of prices too, got both sides off and cleaned down to the stub. Leaving the hub attached to the disc as there 'should' be enough there to machine. I tee'd up a shop near work to machine em, $25 each. He's knocking up a 450mm extended rear brake line for me to charging me $45.

Going to do the wheel bearings (they're not too bad but while I'm in there) as well, getting some timkins for $44 a side. New pads as well $45.

Hopefully if the discs are fine for the machining should be nice clean and new from stubs out!! Keen to see how the old girl behaves with the anchors throw down once it's all back in and new as rears are all cleaned and new pads too

Comment

• Scoteye
                    Valued Member
                    • Jan 2012
                    • Armidale, NSW

You can minimise potetial issues if you replace the bearing cones before machining. They keep yor rotors running true. if there is any difference between old and new it cansometimes require another machine.

Comment

• watto
                      • Jul 2009
                      • Brisbane

ARGS, just wondering where in Bris you are getting your discs machined? Seems like a good price. I am keen to get mine done somewhere on the Northside.

Comment

• ARGS
                        Valued Member
                        • Jul 2012
                        • Brisbane

place at beenleigh, Beenleigh brakes I'm pretty sure. Getting em done Thurs

Comment

• Barneymutt
                          Valued Member
                          • Sep 2007
                          • Regents Park. Qld

Mob at Browns Plains did mine for $25 ea as well.

Comment

• ARGS
                            Valued Member
                            • Jul 2012
                            • Brisbane

Righto, brakes done! Had a bit of a clusterfk when getting em machined. First there wasn't enough on one of them to be machined and be above requirement, so opted for some newies. Then couldn't get the bolts out, they had to hit em with heat etc etc -> need new bolts. Tried a set from bolt shop but the heads were too fat and couldn't torque em Brake shop recommended getting 12 from MMM so rang em and they wanted $10.37.. each! With that I went back to the bolt shop (who were endlessly helpful - Bolt and Industrial on project st salsbury). The only other possiblilty was a hex head allen key type bolt (12.10 tensile so more than enough) and presto they fit! Needed some trimming at the front as you can see by the pics but at $17 compared to $140 not even a second though!!

So she's got new everything from stub out now, rotors, pads, bearings, grease etc. Bedded the pads in just now and all the pedal movement is gone and a MUCH better feel is the result. Noticeable difference in the stopping power which is fantastic! It's all been worth it in the end lol and only 5 days before the man trip too!! Talk about cutting it fine!!

Here's some pics that I just took with the led bar on the rack, the lift etc.

Comment

• Paintchips
                              • Jan 2013
                              • Darwin

Can someone enlighten me to the ways in which the rotors come off? I'm where ARGS was at in the very first picture in his initial post. I can't get the rotor to pull off the axle.
                              2011 NT GL | ARB Bull bar. LED Spotlights/Lightbar. 2inch Lift Kit. GME aerial. GME uhf radio. SPV egr blank. Roof rack. ECU remap. 3inch exhaust. Tow bar with anderson plug. Bash plates. K&N Filter. Xtreme Heavy Duty clutch. Side awning. Dual battery. LED low beams. Front and rear sway bar adjustable link kits from Superpro. Jonny Tig aftermarket front mounted intercooler upgrade. Heavy duty synthetic winch. E lockers. Dual fuel tank. Polaris with HEMA maps. Cargo barrier.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X