X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nvll.mrrs
    • Sep 2019
    • NZ

Wheel hub motors can be stepping motors like used in FP smart washing machine motors as used by NASA also.

I have been saying for years the a recording of a v8 or say a Ferrari played through external speakers on EVs would be a seller and would warn pedestrians of their approach. I like your thinking re throttle response is a good idea too. A relatively easy technical fix.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Comment

• Merts
      Valued Member
      • Nov 2011
      • Bendigo Vic

Originally posted by nvll.mrrs View Post
      Seems we are both right? Though how something can be called a CTV when it only has one gear is beyond me.

How many speeds does the PHEV have?

Equipped with a@*$#Mitsubishi CVT transmission, this@*$#Outlander PHEV@*$#will have@*$#only one speed. The manufacturer did not want to equip this hybrid SUV with simulated ratios like the other models.

This link is good with a photo of the CVT?

It appears the petrol engine only drives the wheels through the 1 gear CVT[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] when very specific conditions are met.

C constant
      V variable
      T transmission
      1 out of 3 ain't bad I guess

You have the wrong end of the stick about CVTs.
      CVT stands for "continuously variable transmission", not "constant variable transmission".

Saying it's one gear is completely wrong. It's a system that provides infinitely variable gearing (between the upper and lower limits obviously).

Many manufacturers program artificial 'steps' into the way the transmission works to simulate a conventional gearbox, but the mechanicals provide continuously variable gearing.
      Merts
      Impulse Blue 2015 MQ Triton GLS Auto

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
      Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Comment

• nvll.mrrs
        • Sep 2019
        • NZ

Yep I used the wrong word however the meaning remains the same.
        With regard to the MMC PHEV I have not seen one pulled apart so am going by what I Cut and Pasted.

I never intended to misslead anyone about a normal CVT operation.

The original style of CVT I have seen apart. It was on an old scooter my dad was fixing in the early 60s it consisted of two sprung loaded pullies and a rubber fan belt between them. He told me CVT was invented by DAF when they were making cars smaller than a Fiat 500.

I guess I am holding the middle of the stick. [emoji2]

Comment

• Merts
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2011
          • Bendigo Vic

Yep I used the wrong word however the meaning remains the same.
          The meaning isn't the same.

Continuously variable gearing is the exact opposite of constant one gear.
          Merts

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
          Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Comment

• nvll.mrrs
            • Sep 2019
            • NZ

Your words not mine

Comment

• Merts
              Valued Member
              • Nov 2011
              • Bendigo Vic

Your words not mine

Your words....

Seems we are both right? Though how something can be called a CTV when it only has one gear is beyond me.

It appears the petrol engine only drives the wheels through the 1 gear CVT[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] when very specific conditions are met.

C constant
              V variable
              T transmission
              1 out of 3 ain't bad I guess"
              Merts

Comment

• nvll.mrrs
                • Sep 2019
                • NZ

The post was about the transmission of power to the wheels on the Mitsi Outlander PEV. I was not saying CVTs are all one gear. Only this one unusual vehicle. We were talking only about the Outlander PEV.

Comment

• Merts
                  Valued Member
                  • Nov 2011
                  • Bendigo Vic

The post was about the transmission of power to the wheels on the Mitsi Outlander PEV. I was not saying CVTs are all one gear. Only this one unusual vehicle. We were talking only about the Outlander PEV.

Yeah, I get that's what you are saying. The issue is there is no such thing as a fixed gear CVT. I can't find anything on the Mitxubishi site that explains exactly how the engine directly drives the wheels in ICE drive mode, but it certainly doesn't say it has a single gear CVT in it.

Edit:
                  I had a bit more of a read of the link you provided and they describe the transmission as "the GKN Multi-Mode eTransmission". It's not even vaguely like a CVT.
                  Last edited by Merts; 08-11-19, 03:43 PM. Reason: extra info.
                  Merts

Comment

• nvll.mrrs
                    • Sep 2019
                    • NZ

You are right and I said clearly the description of it being a CVT is nonsensical if it only has one ration. Perhaps looking at the following you can see why I said what I said. There is no logical reason why these Mitsi dealers keep referring to a PHEV CVT. I am sure I read recently a car reviewer also writting about a PHEV CVT. Unfortunately I can't find the review. However once again too many reviewers seem to have very little idea about what they are writting.

This is the link I had cut and pasted from. Its a Canadian Mitsi dealership by the look of it. Though we can't guarantee anything we find on the internet these days. Its about 1/3 of the way down the page.

Also a search of google nz got

On trademe
                    https//www.trademe.co.nz/2356432002

NZ Mitsi dealers often advertised PHEVs like this

Mitsubishi Outlander VRX 2.0PHEV 4WD CVT 5Dr Wagon. From $286 per week^. Was $67,990 Now $52,990@*$#...

My sacasim is often misinterpreted. [emoji12][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I always thought Aussies had a well developed sacastic humour.

Comment

• Merts
                      Valued Member
                      • Nov 2011
                      • Bendigo Vic

With regard to sarcasm in written words, it's generally not that easy to pick up on, particularly when you take Poe's law into account.

Re dealers and reviewers, a large proportion of them know bugger all about anything even vaguely technical in regard to the vehicles they sell or review.
                      Merts

Comment

• nj swb
                        Resident
                        • Jun 2007
                        • Adelaide

Originally posted by pajeromack View Post
                        Hub motors don't have enough torque for automotive use, and the higher torque designs tend to be speed restricted. Also they increase unsprung weight significantly.
                        Thanks for that. I was wondering why Mitsubishi's latest electric 4wd concept showed the motors being inboard, still driving the wheels via shafts. I suspected unsprung weight may have been a factor, but didn't consider torque capacity of hub motors.

At the recent 4wd Show in Adelaide I saw HPD's Zed70 - all electric 70 Series. 700Nm motor bolted to the transfer case, so still has high/low, but I did wonder if 700Nm (from zero rpm) would be enough (without 1st gear reduction) for severe off-road use - not that this is their target market. I also overheard something about speed limited to 70 km/h - so I guess there's still a trade-off between having lots of torque at low rpm and enough remaining torque at high rpm.
                        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Paul NT
                          • Aug 2018
                          • Emerald, Vic

My hybrid Corolla uses a three phase AC motor as do all electric cars including Outlander PHEV. The Outlander PHEV also has a direct single gear mechanical linkage as does the Holden volt, which can engage under heavy acceleration above a certain speed, I'm not sure but perhaps around 40 to 50 km/h.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X