• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Goodsy
    Who ya gunna call....
    • Dec 2010
    • Hervey Bay

I'm sure this has been asked before. But what is the best light bar solution if you don't have a rack?
    Stock MM rails only here and I'm not to keen on going higher.
    .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
    NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

• landau351
      • Aug 2013
      • Brisbane

Thanks guys more valuable info

Goodsy would it be possible/plausible to make a bracket to go between the rails to keep it at the same height?

Comment

• Offroad'n Lighting Solutions
        • Feb 2013
        • Perth, WA

Originally posted by Goodsy View Post
        I'm sure this has been asked before. But what is the best light bar solution if you don't have a rack?
        Stock MM rails only here and I'm not to keen on going higher.
        Without seeing how the rails mount I can't confirm of it will work or not but a competent metal fabricator could easily make a flat bar brace running across the roof to where the rails are and then you could mount a bar to that. Otherwise one mounted on the bull bar would be the next option.
        Have a chat with us on Facebook and keep an eye out for special offers and new products.

Offroad'n Lighting Solutions - Don't be left in the dark

Comment

• Catchin Jack
          Valued Member
          • Feb 2012
          • Central Coast NSW

Problem with mounting on roof is if it's not far enough back you'll get a heap of glare on bonnet. I found light bar on top of bullbar to be just as effective, as long as you don't have bulky high unit and opt for a slimmer bar you lose bugger all visibility.
          Also with being so far back on roof you lose light in front of truck which is valuable if offroad at night.

Leo

Comment

• old Jack
            Regular
            • Jun 2011
            • Adelaide, South Australia.

Also if in dust, rain, fog, snow or sea mist then if the light is behind you then there will be more glare/reflection of the particles in the air.
            Also illegal in many states for on road use as are any lights above top of bullbar.

cheers, old Jack.
            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
            MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Daveman1987
              • Jul 2013
              • Toowoomba

I have 2 x 38" Stealth 216W - 72 x 3W CREE LED light bars on my Pajero, they put out a crazy amount of light. If you live in a built up area it would get very annoying due to the amount of reflection you get from road signs.
              I love them, more than happy with them when used for offroading at night.

www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=34421

Comment

• Feb 2013
                • Perth, WA

Ah, stealth? hahaha
                Have a chat with us on Facebook and keep an eye out for special offers and new products.

Comment

• TheTaipan
                  Banned
                  • Jan 2009
                  • sydney

Originally posted by Offroad'n Lighting Solutions View Post
                  Ah, stealth? hahaha

Rule number one when you are in business...never knock the opposition
                  product.

Rule number two...explain why yours is superior.

Comment

• Daveman1987
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Toowoomba

There is no doubt that Stealth are a cheaper brand and I took a bit of a gamble buying them really but they are a 3w CREE LED and the bars have a IP67 rating just like the upper market brands.

In all honesty I would buy these again without any hesitation.
                    At the end of the day they probably all come out of the same factory in China LOL.

Comment

• Feb 2013
                      • Perth, WA

Originally posted by TheTaipan View Post
                      Rule number one when you are in business...never knock the opposition
                      product.

Rule number two...explain why yours is superior.
                      Rule number one for life in general, don't take everything so seriously, I was having a laugh at the name stealth, and the not so stealth appearance of where the are mounted nothing about the make of bar, how it performs, what it is yada yada yada.

Comment

• landau351
                        • Aug 2013
                        • Brisbane

Thanks guys loads more valuable info and opinions......

Daveman, love the look of your setup...some serious lighting hardware there...I had to have a chuckle at the Stealth brand as well....the term "seen a mile away" came to mind instantly.

Catchin Jack, i checked out Sunyee and there seems to be some pretty impressive deals going with them...all with warranty in Australia. Only downside is I’m North of Brissy so the back to base warranty could be an issue...but not a deal breaker.

From the research Ive done its clear to see epistar should be given a wide birth and Cree is the way to go...So I guess a couple of questions in my mind raised by comments.

3w or 10w?....I’m seeing that mostly the 10w units are single row and the 3w are the double row, if I was to compare a 240w unit made up of 10w LED V 3w LED are they going to do the same thing light wise and is the only difference size/configuration?

I could see that mounting them on the roof could become annoying especially in rainy conditions with light bouncing back off rain drops (and other valid reasons in prior posts), has anyone else had this kind of experience?....being that one of the major uses would be on the beach where there would most likely be a high moisture content/spray in the air would mounting on the bull bar just outright be a smarter place to put it?

Polycarbonate or glass?...I can see benefits for both, PC due to its resilience to cracking (but in time will frost like most headlights)...is glass that much of an issue if properly mounted?

Comment

• Feb 2013
                          • Perth, WA

10w vs 3w: 86lm/w vs 73.33lm/w or 67lm/w (Cree or Epistar) as such 240w in a 10w bar is 20640lm and the 3w Cree version is 17600lm, the epistar version is 16080lm

Polycarbonate lens are better sealed and easier to replace than glass

Comment

• landau351
                            • Aug 2013
                            • Brisbane

wow huge difference and with a smaller form factor too.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X