• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cameltrain
    • Dec 2008
    • Brisbane

Hail Damage

Just dropped off the Pajero to the panel beater for about $6000 of repairs for hail damage. I was unlucky enough to have my car outside when the big hail storm hit the western suburbs of Brisbane last weekend. Just a little thunder hovering around and then it just pelted down with hail. No rain or any lead up to the hail. The hailstones were slight bigger than golf balls. Every panel has dents, a broken passenger mirror and drivers side rear indicator. Luckily the wind cheetah roof rack protected a lot of the roof.

The house also copped a beating with 4x broken windows, damaged shadesails, a few broken tiles and couple of stained ceilings from water leaks.

Looks like no trips for me for the next 2 weeks.
  • GHendo
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2012
    • Northern NSW

That's a real bugger mate. We are down near Lismore and copped the same thing in Oct. 2007. As it would happen my Pajero was at the dealer's at the time and thankfully they had it under cover, but the wife's Falcon was outside our house. It got a real hammering and it even smashed the rear windscreen. The insurance company wrote it off but I bought it back and had it repaired - all came in under budget, don't know why they didn't just do that.

They do a pretty good job on those sort of repairs these days - you'll get a new paint job and everything.

Cheers

Geoff
    03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• BrisVegas
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2009
      • Townsville, QLD

bugger mate. Mine copped that storm too. I've got a carport, but it's too low for my Pajero. The hail hit so quickly I didn't have time to try and cover the car with blankets or anything.

Mine was assessed on Monday and it's repairable. Didn't qualify for a respray though, sadly! I'm putting it off til the New Year when I can afford the insurance excess and time without the car. I was pretty lucky not to have any windows smashed. Just little dents on the bonnet, roof and passenger side (came in sideways!).
      'Shrek' 2002 NM GLS 2.8TD manual. ARB bar. HD King springs & Bilsteins. Bridgestone D674LT. Milford Cargo Barrier. Bushskinz intercooler & sump guards. Exedy solid flywheel. 25mm core radiator. 2.5" exhaust. Airtec snorkel. Engel MT45, Projecta 150A isolator, 120A AGM battery in 3rd row. ARB bar, Fyrlyts & 30" LED lightbar Pics + 2015 Isuzu MU-X with all the fruit.

Comment

• christopherdaniel
        • Sep 2013
        • Shreveport, LA

We too incurred huge loses due to hail storm. The hails very really big and came with the force that could hurt anybody. My car got scratches which got me to contact my insurance company.
        A professional public adjuster can offer valuable assistance in the preparation of your claim, or even represent you in the presentation of the claim. Click here to find out more.

Comment

• JoeCool
          • Sep 2013
          • Perth

I'm new to the concept of hail damage - coming from the UK. Though we did once have a hail storm in France that punched Egg sized holes into the slate roof of our barn.

What are you meant to do? Hope it's not bad enough to do damage? I don't fancy running out and throwing a tarp over the car with golf ball sized hail. The car is too big for our garage.....

Comment

• Robin
            • Nov 2010
            • monbulk. vic

Originally posted by JoeCool View Post
            I'm new to the concept of hail damage - coming from the UK. Though we did once have a hail storm in France that punched Egg sized holes into the slate roof of our barn.

What are you meant to do? Hope it's not bad enough to do damage? I don't fancy running out and throwing a tarp over the car with golf ball sized hail. The car is too big for our garage.....
            Hi JoeCool,

I drive a NG Pajero (1989 model) solid as a rock, made out of metal not plastic so hail stones don't bother the NG at all, had them as big as cricket balls just bounce off and a matter of fact one hit the front and it went for a six. The other week I was driving up the side of cliff with mate Chuck Norris we had a rock slide hit us on the side of the Paj not a dent and I reckon it was at least two tonne of rock hit us. So you either get out the tarp or buy an NG or get a bigger garage. Hope this helps.

Regards,
            Robin.
            Robin.
            Mods. After market cup holders. 4 After market weather shields from ebay that look and work great. No more messy hair NG 1989 V6 3Ltr. Super Wagon. Electric sun roof, cruise control, ashtrays and great seats and new motor.
            To find yourself, think for yourself © Socrates 469 BC

Comment

• Stevie-Ray
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2009
              • Peakhurst, Sydney

Fortunately I've haven't experienced hail-stones that large in a storm (like the tennis-ball size hail in that Eastern Suburbs storm), but 10yrs ago(?) on Father's day, Sydney's inner-western suburbs were hit by a storm that went on dumping hail for over 20mins leaving hail 15cm thick in places. There was so much on my garage roof as it melted, it just dripped inside because it couldn't run off into the gutter & down-pipe.
              Looked like it had snowed & some people even started making snowmen (even saw a half-melted Frosty driving to uni next day, but the funniest thing was seeing the newly installed (2x days before) shade-sails above the nearby park's play-ground, were filled with so much hail that they were almost touching the ground!

Hail-stones are nothing compared to what was falling towards this driver; http://youtu.be/WaBBRmD8QHg
              Last edited by Stevie-Ray; 25-09-13, 01:54 AM. Reason: add youtube link
              Steve

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
              "I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X