• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zed
    • Jun 2008
    • Hunter Valley

Are the same size tyre the same size?

Well this has got me stumped, I seriously thought a particular size tyre no matter the brand would be the same rolling diameter

Well I found the same brand and the same size but different tyre to be different rolling diameter.
    Check out these web sites the particular size I was comparing is in the LT construction 265/75/16.
    The A/T3 states 803mm
    The S/T Maxx 813mm
    And the tyre calculator pickle has kindly posted in the FAQ section says 804mm

Have your tyres fitted at your home, work or a place that is convenient for you. Shop competitively priced tyres at etyres.
    Last edited by Zed; 09-02-12, 08:52 PM.
  • dbomba
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2010
    • Homebase Sydney

They can vary quite a bit from brand to brand.
    Daryl
    Formerlya NH and a NL GLS, both raised, Dual Batteries,
    Free wheeling hubs, Bullbars, Snorkels etc.

Recently picked up another NL that's knocked about. Might be a new project.

Comment

• Zed
      • Jun 2008
      • Hunter Valley

Why though?
      Sizing on a tyre should be

265 = width of tyre
      75 = % of width
      16 = rim size

Same principle for any size tyre or brand I'm lead to believe
      The insurance companies, transport department and other goverment authorities stipulate and enforce not going over the OEM by X amount (most states i think are 25mm) so having 10mm difference in size can easily put you over or under. Make a good arguement if any one has every had insurance claims knocked back for tyre size or a traffic fine.

Comment

• cjmarsh81
        • Aug 2011
        • QLD

I do not understand how those tyre sizes can be different?

They are either not measuring from the same place or flat out lying about the size of the tyre.

I would have thought the ACCC would have cracked down on tyre manufacturers if the tyres were not in fact the size stamped on the side
        2007 VRX Pajero

Comment

• luke.k1983
          • May 2010
          • Sydney

I think that it's because Cooper (and other brands) put more rubber on it thus creating deeper thread and lasting longer. It is still 265/75R16 but has those 5mm extra rubber on it.
          1992 NH SWB GLS Hardtop 5spd 3.0L, TJM Winch bar + winch, 33" Maxxis Bighorn, 2" RAW 4x4 suspension, 2" body lift, Airflow snorkel, Icom IC400Pro + GME AE4705, rear storage w/ Waeco fridge and foldable bed, awning, lots of lights and few other mods

Comment

• 1993 NJ LWB
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2007

Originally posted by luke.k1983 View Post
            I think that it's because Cooper (and other brands) put more rubber on it thus creating deeper thread and lasting longer. It is still 265/75R16 but has those 5mm extra rubber on it.
            I think that this is basically it. They are the same size before tread goes on. Different brands and tread types different overall size.
            1993 NJ LWB: UHF, bull bar, 2" Iron man coils/T-bars, 30mm coil spacers, 35mm body lift, long travel RS5000s, Cranked T-bars, lokka, 35x12.5 GoodYear MTR, light force 170s, Duel battery with selectable volt meter, roof basket, 9.5" rear diff - more to come!

Comment

• cjmarsh81
              • Aug 2011
              • QLD

If they are measuring the size of the tyre before the tread is added that is just crazy.
              That means people's speedo's are going to be out depending on which brand of tyre they purchase.

This may be the case it just seems a little odd to me.
              2007 VRX Pajero

Comment

• Rendrag
                Valued Member
                • Feb 2010
                • Central Coast, NSW

We're only talking 10mm here though, it's not really that much - that's less than the difference between new and bald, on my D694's!
                VK2TDG/VK2DGJ
                Dip.EE, Dip.IT, GradIEAust, Master Cabler
                '94 3.0L Pajero GLS
                '84 BMW K100RT Starship

Comment

• Merts
                  Valued Member
                  • Nov 2011
                  • Bendigo Vic

Originally posted by cjmarsh81 View Post
                  If they are measuring the size of the tyre before the tread is added that is just crazy.
                  That means people's speedo's are going to be out depending on which brand of tyre they purchase.
                  If your 2007 VRX speedo is already out by as much as mine is, a few mm difference in the actual diameter of your tyres isn't going to cause any problems.

A tyre like a cooper STmaxx has a tread depth of about 14.5mm when it's new. Worn down to minimum legal depth the tread is 1.5mm. So, if the starting diameter of the new tyre is 813, it will reduce by 2x13 to 787 at the end of its life. The average diameter (half worn) would be 800mm (pretty close to the nominal calculated size of 804.

BTW, the maximum upsize in most states from original is 15mm not 25. Some places including Vic have adopted the latest national standard which allows 50mm increase.
                  Merts
                  Impulse Blue 2015 MQ Triton GLS Auto

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
                  Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Comment

• cjmarsh81
                    • Aug 2011
                    • QLD

True the speedo in my Paj is already out.
                    2007 VRX Pajero

Comment

• Zed
                      • Jun 2008
                      • Hunter Valley

If they wern't so picky at booking somebody there wouldn't be an issue at all.
                      but 2+2=4 so why does 75% of 265 have 3 different anwsers?

Comment

• Merts
                        Valued Member
                        • Nov 2011
                        • Bendigo Vic

Originally posted by Zed View Post
                        If they wern't so picky at booking somebody there wouldn't be an issue at all.
                        but 2+2=4 so why does 75% of 265 have 3 different anwsers?
                        75% of 265 will always be the same answer. The issue is whether the tyre is manufactured to be the calculated diameter when it's new, half worn, or completely worn.

The difference is so small it makes no difference in normal car tyres with smallish tread depths. It only becomes relevant when you are dealing with tyres with very deep tread depth.

As far as I know, the allowable upsize is based on the calculated diameter (ie, rim diameter + width x profile% x 2). You aren't going to be booked or have insurance denied if the calculated diameter is within the allowable limits.

Also, effect on speedo readings will be less than 2 or 3% for the diameter differences you are talking about. Most cars read over by more than that anyway. (If you are going 100 the speedo will be reading 95 for example)

So, none of this actually matters!
                        Merts

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
                        Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Comment

• Zed
                          • Jun 2008
                          • Hunter Valley

Originally posted by Merts View Post
                          75% of 265 will always be the same answer.
                          Aparently not, look at my first post and you will get 3 answers

Comment

• Merts
                            Valued Member
                            • Nov 2011
                            • Bendigo Vic

Originally posted by Zed View Post
                            Aparently not, look at my first post and you will get 3 answers
                            Did you even read either of my posts?

I've got to ask. Were you really interested in some feedback on your original post?
                            And seriously, giving yourself a 'clap' for that last comment?
                            Last edited by Merts; 10-02-12, 09:43 AM. Reason: extra comment
                            Merts

Comment

• dean
                              Valued Member
                              • Jul 2007

Not an issue at all.
                              Yes all companies may vary slightly but it's only a few mill.
                              Dean
                              NM V6 since August 2000. Cargo Barrier, Satphone, Decent Suspension, Decent Tyres Eg. Any 10 PLY E Load Brand Not Important. Aux Tank, Rola Sports Racks/Basket, Decent Canvas Bag, Quality Esky. A Good Setup For Outback Touring/Desert Crossings.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X