• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jaggs
    • Oct 2010

KN Filter in a Pajero

Hi There,

Im new on this site I bought 1996 NJ pajero. Just checking if a KN filter is good for this car??

Cheers.

Mike
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

In my opinion, it's the best filter I've been able to find.

There's plenty of evidence on the 'net to demonstrate that K&N filter doesn't filter as well as a good paper filter. But I haven't been able to find a good paper filter for my 3L V6. The last time I went 4wding with a Ryco filter I found visible dust on the "clean" side of the filter. I recently spent a week out bush with the K&N installed, and the "clean" side has no visible signs of dust - so I choose to believe that the K&N is working better than the Ryco did.

I had a look at a "genuine Mitsubishi" filter, and that looks frighteningly similar to the Ryco. A few Auto stores rate the Ryco as the best of the available air filters.

The original air filter in my Paj, that I threw away when I installed the K&N, had many more pleats than the Ryco filter, of a much denser appearing material. If I could find one of those again I would probably use that for bush trips.

I keep meaning to invest in a cyclonic pre-filter for the snorkel top, but I never seem to actually buy one.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Bernoulli
      • Jun 2007
      • Oregon, USA

I'm happy with mine.
      89 3.0L 5Spd SWB Raider in NW USA

Comment

• dusty_nz
        Valued Member
        • May 2008

I have seen a few people notice than in dusty environments once the filter is dirty it starts to let dust pass. Noted by the air intake behind the filter being dusty.

eg http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/arc.../t-569850.html

Basically it gets to a certain point where there is no more wet oil for the dust to stick to.

Versus a paper filter where the holes are too small for dust to get through.

When it gets blocked it starts to choke the engine.

Whats worse. Dust or a choked engine.
        97 LWB NL 2.8 TDI.
        285x75x16 on 16" ROH's. Lokka, GU Springs. Snorkel, Swaybay discon's, Warn M8000, Redarc Dual Batt.
        7" GPS. Handsfree UHF, Rear door shelf, Boost Controller, 70L Waeco.
        Pending: RidePro shocks. PN 117072 for a '90+ IFS 4Runner coil rear. Endless Air

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2010
          • Cairns

As NJ SWB has said, I too found paper filters to let fine dust particles through on my last 4wd and dirt bike. I installed Unifilters to both of those vehicles and not a spec of dust ever got through after that.
          I will probably buy a Unifilter for my Paj soon.... The advantage is that you can buy them in a pack for 4wd's with a spare pre-cleaner element. That means that if you are driving in really dusty conditions and your pre-cleaner becomes dry and filthy, you can just swap the dirty old one out for the clean one and keep on travelling. You would be back on the road in a couple of minutes.
          I don't believe K&N's come with a precleaner element.
          You can buy direct from their website: www.uniflow.com.au
          Cheers, Dan.
          2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• tomo3834
            • Jan 2009
            • Coppabella, Queensland

Repco wanted $113 and had to order one, I pulled one off ebay from the UK for A$70 delivered! Go figure!
            NH Pajero 3.0 V6 Auto GLX, TJM Bullbar, 31"x10.5"x15" Desert Duelers, Side Steps, LOVELLS Gas Legend Series II Shocks, EFS Torsion Bars, TJM Raised Coils, Spotties, Uniden UHF, 40L Primus fridge, snorkel, work in progress . . . .

Comment

• peter92
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2009
              • maryborough queensland

so whats the uni filter like as far as bull dust goes or is there a better filter for my paj
              regards peter
              used to be nl 1999 auto,3.5lt petrol.
              now 1994 80 series cruiser diesel wagon
              bull bar side steps, mags,dual batt system,2 waecos 35lt,40lt h/reese towbar,103amp agm batt, 500w inverter. narva spotties, uniden uh7700nb uhf 40 ch narrow band, 2.5kva inverter generator
              SKYPE NAME possum.58

Comment

• martin7
                Valued Member
                • Jan 2008
                • High Wycombe W.A.

i have used a k&n filter in my pajero with no dust getting past it at all. On mine i have a snorkel fitted and found that with a paper filter it was getting clogged with bugs after about a month which was getting expensive since fitting the K&N filter it requires cleaning every couple of months but still cheaper than a new paper filter every month. as for travelling in dusty conditions you can pack a cleaning kit and clean the filter as required add new oil and off you go.
                95 NJ PAJERO 3.0LT V6, AUTO, MAN HUBS, ECB bullbar, WARN 9000lb WINCH, dual long range tanks (205lts), Airtec snorkel, K&N air filter, rotronics dual battery system, GME tx4400 uhf, rated recovery points on all 4 corners, GQ rear coils

Comment

• Stevie-Ray
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2009
                  • Peakhurst, Sydney

Whatever happened to FinerFilter?

For many years I used Finer-Filter's in my vehicles (except the last one), which I found helped improve power & fuel-economy.
                  Does anyone know what happen to Finer-Filter?
                  Perhaps Uni-filter sued them for patent-violation, as they both used oiled elements.

Cheers
                  Steve

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
                  "I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"

Comment

• smithd0
                    • Mar 2009
                    • Geraldton W.A

used K&N on my previous NJ, excellent filter.
                    2005 NP 3.2 DiD Platnium Edition (Black) 265/70/17 BF Goodrich TA/KO, Rhino Aero bars, roof basket, Bilstein B6 HD, 2" lift Lovells HD front SD rear, GME TX3400 radio, bash plates, 7" in dash GPS/DVD/DTV, ABR Delux Bar, Narva 225 Ultima, HID 55w Kit. Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller, Windsor Rapid 521A.

On Order Snorkle

Comment

• jaggs
                      • Oct 2010

KN Filter

Ok Gents - thank for all of your info. I think i will go for KN filter, bought it from all crash part $90.00.

Cheers.

Mike

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
                        Valued Member
                        • Jan 2010
                        • Cairns

Originally posted by Stevie-Ray View Post
                        For many years I used Finer-Filter's in my vehicles (except the last one), which I found helped improve power & fuel-economy.
                        Does anyone know what happen to Finer-Filter?
                        Perhaps Uni-filter sued them for patent-violation, as they both used oiled elements.

Cheers
                        Finer filter was either bought out by, or just turned into Unifilter.
                        They are one and the same......
                        Dan
                        2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• sprintman
                          Valued Member
                          • May 2010

If you have ever read UOA results from any engine using a Krap & Nasty you wouldn't put one on your lawn mower. I read multiple UOA's every day and can usually pick the Krap & Nasty equipped engine from the results (high SI levels). The classic case of marketing beating performance.

Comment

• Stevie-Ray
                            Valued Member
                            • Jun 2009
                            • Peakhurst, Sydney

What's a UOA?

Originally posted by sprintman View Post
                            If you have ever read UOA results from any engine using a Krap & Nasty you wouldn't put one on your lawn mower. I read multiple UOA's every day and can usually pick the Krap & Nasty equipped engine from the results (high SI levels). The classic case of marketing beating performance.
                            Also explain what SI stands for, & how do Unifilters compare?

Cheers
                            Steve

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
                            "I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"

Comment

• sharkcaver
                              "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                              • May 2009
                              • Perth

Originally posted by Stevie-Ray View Post
                              Also explain what SI stands for, & how do Unifilters compare?

Cheers
                              UOA: Used oil analysis, SI: Silicon content

Regards,

Shane.
                              MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X