• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FarawayCampers
    • Mar 2019
    • SA

255/75r17 - NP

Hey all,

I am going to replace my slightly small tires on my NP Pajero in the coming week or two... all 5 $$... and am thinking as I have always preferred a slightly skinnier tire of putting on the 255/75r17 tires.

Does anyone have any experience running this size?

I am going for BFGoodrich ko2's... will these fit the standard Exceed 17" rims?

Any issues with fitment / scrubbing / gear ratios (they are only a tiny bit larger than the 265/70r17)?

Any advice would be appreciated.
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

I think you have your profiles mixed up.

BFG AT KO2 does not come in a 265/75R17 size but it does come in a 265/70R17.

NP factory size from memory is not 265/70R17 but 265/65R17.

If you have factory size 265/65R17 and want to change to a 255/70R17 then this tyre is only 12.5mm larger in diameter so the effect on the gearing will be only a percent or 2 so the impact on gearing will be very slight and unlikely to have clearance issues.

255/70R17 is not a very common size so range will be limited and most likely more expensive per tyre. Chances of getting a tyre of this size in a rural or remote area is very unlikely.

I know of 2 Adelaide forum members that have changed out of BFG ATKO2 because they were not happy with them for a number of reasons, I seem to recall both Geopaj and M&M had previously had the KO1 and had been pleased with them but have been disappointed with the KO2 version.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• FarawayCampers
      • Mar 2019
      • SA

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
      I think you have your profiles mixed up.

BFG AT KO2 does not come in a 265/75R17 size but it does come in a 265/70R17.

NP factory size from memory is not 265/70R17 but 265/65R17.

If you have factory size 265/65R17 and want to change to a 255/70R17 then this tyre is only 12.5mm larger in diameter so the effect on the gearing will be only a percent or 2 so the impact on gearing will be very slight and unlikely to have clearance issues.

255/70R17 is not a very common size so range will be limited and most likely more expensive per tyre. Chances of getting a tyre of this size in a rural or remote area is very unlikely.

I know of 2 Adelaide forum members that have changed out of BFG ATKO2 because they were not happy with them for a number of reasons, I seem to recall both Geopaj and M&M had previously had the KO1 and had been pleased with them but have been disappointed with the KO2 version.

OJ.

Hey Old Jack,
      Thanks for the reply... yep... BFG do come in a 255/75r17 - so around a 32" tyre or a bit more. As you mentioned the standard tyre size on my door is 265/70r17... so only about 12-14mm difference. Didn't know if that was enough to cause issues or not on a Paj. and if people who had them were happy with them or not.

Incidentally, do you recall why people changed away from BFG KO2's? Having run BFG in mud terrains in the past and been super happy, it seemed logical to keep to BFG's.

I have disliked the following brands that I have tried in the past... Federal (crap), Coopers (tread gets damaged), Dunlop (uneven wear and poor off road performance).

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011

Originally posted by FarawayCampers View Post
        Hey Old Jack,
        Thanks for the reply... yep... BFG do come in a 255/75r17 - so around a 32" tyre or a bit more. As you mentioned the standard tyre size on my door is 265/70r17... so only about 12-14mm difference. Didn't know if that was enough to cause issues or not on a Paj. and if people who had them were happy with them or not.

Incidentally, do you recall why people changed away from BFG KO2's? Having run BFG in mud terrains in the past and been super happy, it seemed logical to keep to BFG's.

I have disliked the following brands that I have tried in the past... Federal (crap), Coopers (tread gets damaged), Dunlop (uneven wear and poor off road performance).
        I have just checked the BFG Austrailan website and they do not list a 255/75R17, so my original comments remain unchanged.

GeoPaj's BFG ATKO2 developed deep cracking between the shoulder tread blocks about after 60,000kms, he has now fitted Cooper AT3LT and is very happy.
        M&M, I seem to recall only got 55,000kms from his BFG KO2, when I looked at them they had a lot of tread block tearing. It seemed the tyre's could have been "over cooked" as the tread was quite brittle, he has fitted Cooper ST Maxx but does not like the tyre noise.

I have just fitted my 3rd set of Cooper ST Maxx and have had 2 sets of original ST's on a previous 4wd, so I could not be happier with Coopers for my use.

There is no "free lunch", tyre's are always a compromise, so you have to decide what us important to you and what compromises you are prepared to accept.

OK.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• FarawayCampers
          • Mar 2019
          • SA

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
          I have just checked the BFG Austrailan website and they do not list a 255/75R17, so my original comments remain unchanged...
          I have just fitted my 3rd set of Cooper ST Maxx and have had 2 sets of original ST's on a previous 4wd, so I could not be happier with Coopers for my use.

There is no "free lunch", tyre's are always a compromise, so you have to decide what us important to you and what compromises you are prepared to accept.

OK.

Re 255/75r17 not being available... try here... which is where I was going to buy them. https://www.tyresales.com.au/buy/tyr...r17/153199?q=4

I agree - definately no "free lunch", it's a hard one especially re budgets, etc. I appreciate you're advice and it is good to be aware of the damage issues from others use of BFG KO2's. Thanks.

Comment

• old Jack
            Regular
            • Jun 2011

Re 255/75r17 not being available... try here... which is where I was going to buy them. https://www.tyresales.com.au/buy/tyr...r17/153199?q=4

I agree - definately no "free lunch", it's a hard one especially re budgets, etc. I appreciate you're advice and it is good to be aware of the damage issues from others use of BFG KO2's. Thanks.
            CAUTION !

The tyre you are looking at is a Grey Import so it is not supported or backed up by BFG Australia, this also means if you need another tyre and Tyresales do not have one then it could be difficult to source.

The tyre you are looking at is also a passenger construction tyre and not a light truck construction so if you are intending to use the tyre off road, you can expect less durability from this tyre. It is a car tyre with an off road tread pattern!

Also a 255/75R17 is 38mm larger is diameter than the factory standard fitment. This is a Plus 1.5 size, normally people fit a Plus 1 size which is 26mm greater in diameter.
            This Plus 1.5 size may cause clearance issues at full suspension tuck and steering angles and will also affect the gearing by about 6% to 7% so if you have an auto transmission then the torque convertor will spend more time unlocked so expect an increase in fuel consumption and an increase if ATF temperatures. If you have a manual trans then you will notice a drop in performance.

At $300 a tyre it seems a good buy but it could work out to be a expensive exercise in the long run.

OJ.

Comment

• FarawayCampers
              • Mar 2019
              • SA

Thanks for the heads up mate! How do you know that it is a grey import? They also do this one... is it ok (it is standard size).

Explore 265/70 R17 tyres at tyresales. Order online or call for ✔Same Day Fitment ✔Fitment near you ✔Free Returns & Roadside Assistance ✔Lowest Prices Guaranteed.

Is this a grey import too and is it Light truck or other? I find it hard to find out this info. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Comment

• old Jack
                Regular
                • Jun 2011

Thanks for the heads up mate! How do you know that it is a grey import? They also do this one... is it ok (it is standard size).

Explore 265/70 R17 tyres at tyresales. Order online or call for ✔Same Day Fitment ✔Fitment near you ✔Free Returns & Roadside Assistance ✔Lowest Prices Guaranteed.

Is this a grey import too and is it Light truck or other? I find it hard to find out this info. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
                The 265/70R17 120S is a 10 ply light truck construction, it is a Plus 1 size so 26mm larger in diameter. It is a common fitment but I would not recommend it if you tow heavy.
                It still could be a Grey Import but at least you can get a replacement tyre more easily as it is a common size. You would need to contact BFG Australia to see if they support tyre's sold via Tyresales.

OJ.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X