• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vincentedfeldt
    • Aug 2017
    • melbourne

12 V Sockets dead

Hi everyone.
    I bought a Pajero NK 1997 and started off on a trip around Australia.

On the way I bought a 12 V kettle to be able to make a cuppa out in the bush.

First time I used it I plugged it in the 12 V socket under the radio, it worked for a couple of minutes and then I unplugged it, realized the water wasn't hot and replugged it in the other socket in the center panel, in between the front seats and it stopped working as well.

I checked all the fuses both under the dashboard and under the bonnet and they are fine. The light in the socket in the center panel is still on.

I'm now in Brisbane and would need to get this sorted, it's getting annoying having the gps in the trunk in the third socket...

Any ideas? Anybody knows of somebody in Brisbane who knows more of these things than I do?

Best regards
    Vincent
  • chrisall
    • Sep 2016
    • WA

Sounds to me like you blew the fusible link that's on the back of the socket. Then you plugged the kettle into the other socket and blew the link in that one as well.
    2003 NP 3.5. Davies Craig tranny cooler, Dual battery, LED front fogs, Safari 'style' snorkel, LED reverse / work light, reverse cam, BushSkinz, LED interior lights, Joying android head unit, side steps, LED spotties, 17" steelies, bunny bar.

Comment

• MTN-KAT
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2009
      • Gold Coast

Welcome Vincent,
      My experience was a 12v fridge into the rear socket. Lasted about five minutes then smelt burning. Pulled out HOT fridge plug real quick. Since learnt that the wiring used in these Pajero's is way too thin and overheats when too much is required of them. So don't plug the kettle into them or anything beyond a lamp/GPS/phone charger etc. You will require a heavy cable direct from battery for kettle/ or fridge. Now, my first attempt to remedy my problem was to pull out the rear socket and noted the wires were melted and the ceramic plug was black. I pulled it apart and it cleaned up and there was enough wire to reconnect and then found a Clipsal collar in my gear which fit nicely to hold the socket in the hole (cos it too had started to melt) and it has worked ever since. Note the other two sockets were unaffected by my rear socket burnout. So I expect you have two melted sockets to fix. Pull one out and see what you see. Maybe you can fix it for free like me. Happy motoring.
      99 NL Escape 3.5L V6 LWB Wagon, "Aisin Auto", MM Alum Protector Bar, MM factory 'steel' underbody protector plates, Engine oil cooler, Transmission oil cooler, Side rails, Flares, MM Alloy wheels, HANKOOK Dynapro ATM LT tyres, Aftermarket Alarm, MM A.I.S. HPR15 Penrite engine oil. Penrite LS140 diff oil with 250ml LIMSLIP additive 7098.

Comment

• ticky
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2015
        • Adelaide

It certainly sounds like a blown fuse or as suggested, melted socket. The fuse is in place to prevent wire and sockets burning or melting. I was unaware that the rear of the socket has a fuse able link, but have you checked the fuses and fusable links with a multi meter? some times the look ok but are blown.

Steve
        2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• chrisall
          • Sep 2016
          • WA

Originally posted by ticky View Post
          It certainly sounds like a blown fuse or as suggested, melted socket. The fuse is in place to prevent wire and sockets burning or melting. I was unaware that the rear of the socket has a fuse able link, but have you checked the fuses and fusable links with a multi meter? some times the look ok but are blown.

Steve

Cheers,
          2003 NP 3.5. Davies Craig tranny cooler, Dual battery, LED front fogs, Safari 'style' snorkel, LED reverse / work light, reverse cam, BushSkinz, LED interior lights, Joying android head unit, side steps, LED spotties, 17" steelies, bunny bar.

Comment

• ticky
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2015
            • Adelaide

Thanks for that, as I said, I was unaware of these. I couldn't see the photos, but Ill google it so I know what to look for if I ever need to fix mine.

Steve
            2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• tomwithannl
              Valued Member
              • Jan 2010
              • Maria Coast Tasmania.

When I was traveling around Australia I had the (socket) fuses blow while using them to power my Engel. I tried different repairs to the fuse at the back but still had the problem of them blowing. I started using the 240 lead through my inverter, which was plugged into the same socket and never had the fuse blow again. Seems like they draw less current through 240 than they do on 12v.
              With your jug you may have to hard wire a heavier plug and wire with appropriate fusing directly to the battery.
              Only my suggestion.
              Tom
              1998 NL GLS 3.5 Auto. Bocar alloy bar with 13000lb I-Max winch & engine watchdog.
              1953 Morris Minor ute
              1990 Nissan Scargo van (The SNAIL)
              2005 Mercedes ML350 Special Edition 4Matic

Comment

• vincentedfeldt
                • Aug 2017
                • melbourne

Thank you guys.

I reckon it must be the fusible links in the two sockets that is the problem here.

Now to the question, how do I get to the back of the sockets?

I read somewhere that is can be a nightmare to get to them and the only instructions I found was for another model and looked different than my NK.

Anyone knows how to get to them on a NK pajero -97?

Thank you all for your answers.

Comment

• starjunk
                  Valued Member
                  • Mar 2011
                  • Sydney

Originally posted by vincentedfeldt View Post
                  Thank you guys.

I reckon it must be the fusible links in the two sockets that is the problem here.

Now to the question, how do I get to the back of the sockets?

I read somewhere that is can be a nightmare to get to them and the only instructions I found was for another model and looked different than my NK.

Anyone knows how to get to them on a NK pajero -97?

Thank you all for your answers.
                  Is this the one in the centre floor console? If it is, that's pretty easy to get at. Prolly about 4 screws and the floor console lifts up in 2 parts... 4 more screws I think for the front half. if it's anything like my NJ... It's been a while sorry.
                  '92 NH GLS LWB 3.0V6 A/T ...sold Please DON'T consider
                  '06 NP VR-X LWB Turbo Diesel Sports A/T..sold Please consider
                  '96 NJ GLX LWB Turbo Diesel M/T..sold . Loved that car
                  '08 NS GLX LWB Turbo Diesel M/T...daily driver. Wake up and Drive!

Comment

• vincentedfeldt
                    • Aug 2017
                    • melbourne

I talked to a guy in a workshop today who told me that the compartment with the cupholders inbetween the front seats needs to come off first, then the center consol and last the piece in front of the levers to reach the second socket under the radio.

Comment

• Just Cruzin
                      Valued Member
                      • Jul 2014
                      • Pakenham

Originally posted by vincentedfeldt View Post
                      I talked to a guy in a workshop today who told me that the compartment with the cupholders inbetween the front seats needs to come off first, then the center consol and last the piece in front of the levers to reach the second socket under the radio.
                      That is correct and is how Starjunk described it.
                      99 NL Exceed with air in tyres

Comment

• chrisall
                        • Sep 2016
                        • WA

Same setup as on the Gen 3, by the sounds of it.

This pic shows how the socket fastens to the panel (this is the rear socket but works the same), and also you can see the fusible link which I suspect you have blown

Cheers,

Comment

• vincentedfeldt
                          • Aug 2017
                          • melbourne

In the link further up in the thread I can't see the photos for some reason.

Somebody who can describe to me how to get the console open? How hard is it?

Comment

• chrisall
                            • Sep 2016
                            • WA

Blame Photobucket for the lack of pics!

Not 100% sure about the Gen2, but this post gives instructions for the Gen3 and I guess would give you some clues. It's really not that difficult to do if you just read through the instructions first:

Cheers,

Comment

• vincentedfeldt
                              • Aug 2017
                              • melbourne

Thanks a million!

I'm gonna give this a shot.

Just in case, is there anybody who knows how this works on a gen 2 pajero?

Or, just in case, is there anybody who knows of somebody in Brisbane that could give me a hand?

Thank you all!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X