• erad
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2015
      • Cooma NSW

Originally posted by Peterng View Post
      I've just had a thought..
      Sorry I do it sometimes..
      The caravan break controller?
      Who fitted it..Ford or third party or was it carried over from the previous vehicle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The caravan brake controller was fitted up by a local auto sparkie as part of the new car deal. That in itself opens a can of worms - he didn't wire the system correctly and despite being given instructions from the caravan manufacturer about the wiring, went his own way. However, in this case, the last thing I would expect would be the caravan brakes coming on as you go uphill, but who knows? Anything is possible with modern auto electrics and computers. I will mention this to my mate and he can check the controller when he is next towing

Comment

• Peterng
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2013
        • Northern Rivers NSW

The reason why I mentioned the caravan brake controller is that the Ranger and others like it have now those whiz bang anti sway safety systems.
        The brakes on the van may not be coming on per say, but the wiring of the system may be throwing a fault.

Two other things that a mate spoke to me about.
        Does the Ranger have a snorkel? Big spot lights on the bar.
        They have found up here, the Ranger breathe better with a snorkel and big spots on the bull bar has been restricting airflow.
        Check the Oz Ford Ranger Forums..there has been feedbacks regarding the 2017 Ranger and some Auto box problems.
        A mechanic mate was telling me, the sport auto in the new Ranger will not lock out in the gear, the driver selects, which throws a whole new light on the problem. The auto box ECU will throw the box out of sport mode automatically and then select a higher gearing.
        So basically there is no proper manual lock out gear in the 2017 Auto Ranger. This is to protect the torque converter etc in the auto gearbox.
        If the Ranger was a manual..no problem.
        So it is starting to take shape..your mate selects say 3rd in manual mode for the trip up the hill.
        Auto box ECU monitors the box..nah..3rd is getting hot, then sends the box into 4th,unbeknownst to the drive, unless they were looking at the dash.
        4th becomes too high, sends box into ECU melt down.throws fault..all stops.
        Cools down, ECU resets again..and the same thing happens all over again.
        Hence 8 times stoppage, so the bigger auto box radiator the dealer is putting in may be to limit this from happening.
        That's just me reading between the lines.
        It will be interesting to see the results..your mate might be right..the 2017 auto Ranger in basic trim without the proper towing mods might be a dud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Arcticsoldier
          • Mar 2015
          • Australia

Does your friends ranger have a bullbar with spotties or light bar?

anyways the ford everest has similar problems when towing up an gradient on a hot day. some people have reported this issue and from what we can gather it only appears to happen to people with bullbars. so somewhere along the line it may no get enough airflow to a certain section as many bullbar replacements remove the plastic air dams from the original bumper.
          2013 Ninja 300
          Ford Everest Titanium MY17 - Rhino racks, Rola titan tray, Provent 200 catch can, Donaldson prefilter, HIDs allround

Comment

• erad
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2015
            • Cooma NSW

Thanks for your replies. Yes - my mate has a bullbar Genuine one as far as I could tell, supplied and fitted by the dealer when new. No - he doesn't have spotties etc. He tried coming up in a higher gear but from what he said it was locked in the higher gear and it ran out of puff. He then had to change down and it then overheated (I presume because the turbo would be then pumping more air & hence fuel into the engine - more waste heat into the radiator. Between me and the gatepost, I think the problems are gone now. Whether it was the transmission overheating or the engine I cannot say, but I think replacing the viscous coupling must be a big help. Installing a larger tranny cooler must be a bonus for hill climbing and also longer tranny life. Hopefully it has been put to bed now, but next weekeend will tell the story. I am sure this could have been addressed with a lot more professionalism than it has so far.

Comment

• vladguan
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2015
              • Adelaide

Originally posted by erad View Post
              Thanks for your replies. Yes - my mate has a bullbar Genuine one as far as I could tell, supplied and fitted by the dealer when new. No - he doesn't have spotties etc. He tried coming up in a higher gear but from what he said it was locked in the higher gear and it ran out of puff. He then had to change down and it then overheated (I presume because the turbo would be then pumping more air & hence fuel into the engine - more waste heat into the radiator. Between me and the gatepost, I think the problems are gone now. Whether it was the transmission overheating or the engine I cannot say, but I think replacing the viscous coupling must be a big help. Installing a larger tranny cooler must be a bonus for hill climbing and also longer tranny life. Hopefully it has been put to bed now, but next weekeend will tell the story. I am sure this could have been addressed with a lot more professionalism than it has so far.
              Make sure your mate documents this as he will not know if any damage to the engine and transmission has occurred. Use it as arsenal in any future engine and transmission issues.
              Please call me Vlad.
              -----------------------
              MY15 NX GLS - SPV EGR; Donaldson filter; Front sensors; Compass; DEI506T and DEI507M; LED interior and exterior lights; Blue LED step lights; 3T tow bar; 20% front & clear tint over privacy windows; Chrome handle protectors; 3x Bushskinz guards; Nudge bar; Hella Sharptones; Dual alarm horns; STEDI lightbar; TC mod loom; Paddles; ProVent 200; Dobinsons springs and MRR shocks; Bonnet struts; OCAM awning; Rear work light; Air compressor. TBD - UHF.

Comment

• erad
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2015
                • Cooma NSW

Originally posted by vladguan View Post
                Make sure your mate documents this as he will not know if any damage to the engine and transmission has occurred. Use it as arsenal in any future engine and transmission issues.

Agree Vlad. I seriously doubt that mate will keep this car very long. He has lost confidence in it and his past history has been a new car every 75000 to 100000 km (more money than me!). I think he will get rid of it well before warranty runs out.

Comment

• Dicko1
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2014
                  • Cairns, FNQ

Agree Vlad. I seriously doubt that mate will keep this car very long. He has lost confidence in it and his past history has been a new car every 75000 to 100000 km (more money than me!). I think he will get rid of it well before warranty runs out.
                  Does your mate have a scangauge or ultragauge so he can actually monitor what is happening in each gear rather than everyone guessing?
                  Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Merts
                    Valued Member
                    • Nov 2011
                    • Bendigo Vic

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                    Does your mate have a scangauge or ultragauge so he can actually monitor what is happening in each gear rather than everyone guessing?
                    Where's the fun in that Dicko?
                    Merts
                    Impulse Blue 2015 MQ Triton GLS Auto

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
                    Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Comment

• erad
                      Valued Member
                      • Mar 2015
                      • Cooma NSW

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                      Simple answer - No. I suggested thsi to him but he was happy/confident that the OEM management system would look after the car for him. I will offer him my Scangauge so he can monitor what is happening. Only problem is that my Scangauge is a lot older than his vehicle, so I am not sure as to what codes to look for.

Comment

• old Jack
                        Regular
                        • Jun 2011
                        • Adelaide, South Australia.

Simple answer - No. I suggested thsi to him but he was happy/confident that the OEM management system would look after the car for him. I will offer him my Scangauge so he can monitor what is happening. Only problem is that my Scangauge is a lot older than his vehicle, so I am not sure as to what codes to look for.
                        An Ultraguage is less than $100 and cheap insurance in monitoring the engine and trans of his $50K+ 4wd. Since he is towing it is even more important to monitor and operate the vehicle correctly rather than just putting it in "D: for "Dumb"!

Do we even know if the engine and/or the auto trans are overheating or is everyone assuming they are because that is what they think is happening and causing the Limp/Lockout Modes. It could be a Torque Convertor slip timeout self protect function like the Challenger and Triton (if the Ranger has this function), when this happens not fault codes are recorded so everyone thinks it is an overheating issue when it is not.

OJ.
                        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Merts
                          Valued Member
                          • Nov 2011
                          • Bendigo Vic

....he was happy/confident that the OEM management system would look after the car for him.
                          It appears that the OEM management system is looking after the car for him, by making it overheat and/or go into limp mode.
                          Merts
                          Impulse Blue 2015 MQ Triton GLS Auto

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
                          Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Comment

• nj swb
                            Resident
                            • Jun 2007
                            • Adelaide

...he was happy/confident that the OEM management system would look after the car for him...
                            ... by going in to limp mode.

Damn! Merts beat me to it.
                            NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Peterng
                              Valued Member
                              • Jun 2013
                              • Northern Rivers NSW

Just a passing note.
                              Todays SMH 17//3/2017, in their car section they have an article on "Which Dual Cab Ute" comparison..HiLux, Colorado, Amarok and 6 sp auto Ranger.

In the towing exercise, they were pulling a trailer with a small excavator loaded on it on a nice flat straight piece of road.
                              They selected the Ranger....
                              It may be my sense of humour...but I had to have a little chuckle...

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X