• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 4wd26
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007
    • Bayside, Brisbane & Stradie

Quite a selection, I like to keep things as spares and pre assembled complete with top hats make for a easier remote fix, couldn't imagine trying to replace a front strut that was not preassembled, these coils take some compression

One thing that I noticed is that the factory coil starts and finishes 180 degrees, the dobbinson coil finishes in the same alignment

Something maybe to also look at

Will find some installed pics a bit later
    ML triton with some accessories
    National E Trek Libary
    Getting Out There

Comment

• whereswes
      • Feb 2015
      • Melbourne, Australia

Originally posted by wasarangie View Post
      Ultimate at full droop.

OJ, note the coil end location. A fair difference yours to mine. I spent sometime talking to Toyota techs about what they had found issues with. Coil end location was all they mentioned. over 100,000 klm without issue here.
      Saved me a pic or 2.

OJ with CFR-95s on AR74107s, my setup is pretty much identical to wasarangies. My spring and top mount finish slightly further clockwise (further right on wasarangies pic) but only by 3mm at most.

Cheers
      Wes
      2014 Auto PC Challenger, TJM Bar with Centre/Side LED Bars & 12,000lb Winch, Uniden UHF, ARB Rack with single row LED Bar & Awning, Safari Snorkel, Boos Bash Plates, 265-75R16 BFG KM2s, 100AH AGM Battery and Redarc DC-DC to power Waeco, Custom rear interior, HR Towbar, Combo suspension (Lovells front/ARB rear), Brown Davis LR tank, Diff Breathers, 2 1/2" S/S cat back, ScangaugeII, Munji EGR controller, Bushskinz side steps, DPChip, LM8,

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011
        • Adelaide, South Australia.

Thanks 4wd26 for the photos., links and the reminder, yes I remember the thread and your comment about waiting until 50,000kms! 2 of my 3 didn't even make it that far!
        What springs were used on the Bisteins?
        Dobinson coils have 9 full turns where as factory, OME, Lovell's and Kings have 7.75 turns.

Wes, also thanks for the info.

OJ.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Rexxo
          • Dec 2014
          • Western Australia

Took a quick pic yesterday OJ, springs are king KCFR-55 with Bilsteins. Not sure if you still needed it, hope you have a win.
          Attached Files
          2012 PB LS Auto: Sold

Comment

• old Jack
            Regular
            • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Rexxo View Post
            Took a quick pic yesterday OJ, springs are king KCFR-55 with Bilsteins. Not sure if you still needed it, hope you have a win.
            Thanks Rexxo,
            All photos still accepted as I have not had time to pull the car apart and do some measuring. Not sure whether to replace with Bilstein or look for a shocker with a stronger shaft, what ever happens I need to make sure the alignment is as good as I can get it.

OJ.
            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• bmurray2250
              • Jan 2011
              • Brisbane

Interesting issue with the Bilstein shocks. I had Bilstein installed with Dobinson coils. Zordo's suspension in Brisbane mentioned an issue that effects Triton's too. The strut must be assembled correctly and aligned. Both left and right have different alignment positions which effects the spring position and brake lines.

I am not sure if with effects bending the shaft. I can tell you the Challenger rides and drives better

Comment

• bmurray2250
                • Jan 2011
                • Brisbane

Hopefully the images are attached this time
                Attached Files

Comment

• lukincool
                  • Mar 2013
                  • Imbil

Dobinson springs and struts

i run dobindon springs and struts, was pretty happy with them. but 3 years on one rear shockie dies on the oodnadatta track (replaced under warranty).
                  but now i need to replace the front ones, they just soggy as shit. and back ones a not far away.
                  dobinson spring just fine.
                  was gonna get the bisteins ... gee no i do not know.
                  Pajero NP exceed, it has dobinson HD springs and shocks (extra 50mm) very nice, 265x70x17 Hancook A/T which are quiet and comfy on the road, Icom uhf, eclipse gps, long range fuel tank, duel battery setup, steel bulbar, tow bar, widow draw system, eva cool fridge freezer dual controls (awesome), electric brake controller, Out Back Bash Plates, air bags for my rear suspension, breathers and a snorkel... the dream sheet has a long list aswell ... when I can afford them

Comment

• 4wd26
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2007

Struts and coils replaced after this photo- double crossing of the simpson
                    Struts Ultimate 120,000kms
                    coils dobbinson HD 188 160,000kms

not the best photo angle for what you are chasing (not a close up) but what I have on record
                    National E Trek Libary
                    Getting Out There

Comment

• 4wd26
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2007

Climax Suspension supply the widest range and highest quality 4WD Suspension and Car Suspension including our own Smart Suspension range and Suspension Kits and components by well known brands Ironman, Tough Dog, Koni, Bilstein, Lovells, Polyair, KYB, Ultima, Ksport and Whiteline.

noticed these guys state 2 different bilstien strut# depending on ride height.

more info to put into the investigation

link didn't quite work as expected- but I'm sure you will work it out
                      Last edited by 4wd26; 30-12-16, 07:35 PM. Reason: link not to triton / challenger specs
                      National E Trek Libary
                      Getting Out There

Comment

• Ent
                        Valued Member
                        • Apr 2014
                        • Tasmania

The bent shafts are a worry as unlikely they would bend due to spring loads alone. I am tempted to think that the shaft is too long for the bumpstops. Rather nervous on local sources as not uncommon for shocks to come from a donor vehicle and be made to fit. Also rather a disjoint between the very high price and rather poor warranty.

I would be tempted by a Koni solution as on the front a factory approved setup exists. Other brands appear to have checkered reports. My Drummond Motor Sport front has proven after 50,000kms faultless.
                        2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.

Comment

• old Jack
                          Regular
                          • Jun 2011

Hi Ent,

What is the shocker piston rod diameter on the Drummond struts?

OJ.

Comment

• Kingbrown
                            Valued Member
                            • Apr 2012
                            • Port Augusta - SA

Hi OJ,

Another thought on the strut failures:

For the various manufacturers, do you notice any significant differences in the distance between the bottom coil seat and the top seal ?
                            The shorter the distance then the greater the stress at the point of bending. . .
                            2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• old Jack
                              Regular
                              • Jun 2011

Thanks KB,

In a next day or so I plan to remove a strut and check the alignment between the lower mount bolt axis and the top mount, checking in all directions.
                              I will then disassemble a strut and look at the upper and lower spring seats and the end of the coil winds and the relationship between them.
                              I will check maximum an minimum shocker lengths that will fit ans also what happens to the position of the lower shocker mount in relation to the top mount as the lower control arm is moved within its operating range.
                              Also will be looking a shocker body lengths and lower spring mount positions to see if there is an opportunity for improvement.

Interesting the leaking Bilstein is still controlling the coil and I can not detect a handling difference on city roads. I am sure it would fail if I drove on corrugated roads for sometime.

4wd26, I have sent an email off to Climax to find out what the difference is between the nonLT and the LT shockers. Since the wheel travel is limited by the upper and lower bumpstops there should be no reasons to have 2 different shocker lengths! Something does not quite add up!

OJ.

OJ.

Comment

• twisted32
                                • Jan 2015
                                • Adelaide

OJ,
                                Maybe check full travel on the shock only without the spring fitted to ensure the shock is not limiting travel in either direction.
                                MY14 GLX Pajero DID auto with Lift, 265/70 R17 Yoki X-AT's, Full Bushskinz plates , Scotts Rods 3" TBE, Johnny Tig FMIC, TME ECU remap, Provent, OL Bullbar, Ironman 9500lbs winch, dual batteries, Lockup mate lite, nomad valve body, aeroflow AF72-6000 transmission cooler with 9" fan and radiator cooler bypass, 3.15 reduction gears, traction contol mod (on/off), Uniden 8080S, flappy paddles, Rhino flat rack mounted on ARB rails, 42" Stedi ST3K light bar and custom drawers

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X