X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 85L200Express
    • Mar 2012
    • Tasmania

Thanks for that. You can see here under all that oil that the sensor blade is still in place. I couldn't see a spacer plate or two pins though.

[IMG][/IMG]

I'll have a look in the morning and try and figure out what's going on.

Comment

• my.paj
      • Dec 2010
      • Tullamarine

I think the spacer is behind the blade
      Old, NP Exceed 3.5 petrol, ARB Bull bar, Warn winch, Bush Skinz Bash plates ,2inch lift, Safari Snorkel. ***Now Sold***
      New, RG Colorado Dual Cab Tray

Comment

• Just Cruzin
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2014
        • Pakenham

Did the pins break off inside the crank sprocket or have they pulled out?
        The sprocket, blade and spacer has to go in as a one piece assembly, and the crank position sensor has to be removed to get it all back into place.
        99 NL Exceed with air in tyres

Comment

• 85L200Express
          • Mar 2012
          • Tasmania

Damn. The pins broke, the spacer is snapped and the plate is bent...

Looks like because I didn't tap the pin out on the camshaft wheel the sprocket has come with it, pulling and braking everything else... Expensive lesson learnt for next time I guess?

So now I guess I need to replace the disc, sprocket etc... Will any 3.0L V6 Mitsubishi part suit, ie, Magna, or do I have to get specifically Triton? Or does anyone have a part number or link to the exact parts I need? Were the pins attached to the sprocket? So if they are broken off, I need a whole new sprocket right?

Spewing... I was hoping to have the ute back on the road today
          Last edited by 85L200Express; 03-11-16, 01:34 PM.

Comment

• erad
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2015
            • Cooma NSW

I had a bent cam plate with my NL Pajero. It was the weekend and I had a fiend who had come over 200 km to help me. Also I am a tight-arsed old B.....d and if I didn't have to, would not spend the money to buy a new one. I straightened the bent plate out... This was all because I had previously replaced the crankshaft oil seal and unknowingly had bent the cam plate. I found out by getting a whirring noise when the engine started. It ran for 2 days and then stopped.

I put the bent cam on a flat surface, with the centre section supported by a socket. I measured the height of the blades with a digital vernier gauge, and then gently panel beated them back to flat surface. It took a bit of fiddling, but eventually I got them within 0.1 mm of flat. The biggest problem was that I was not sure of how much the original blades were offset from the hub face. I fitted it all back on the crakshaft and then fitted the crank angle sensor (new because the old one was ruined). I then tried to measure the axial gap between the sensor faces and the sensor itself, but couldn't get to the inside (engine) edge. Eventually I measured the thickness of the plate and the clearance on the front face. I reckoned that it was OK at the back, so completed the assembly and it ran beautiflully thereafter.

Comment

• 85L200Express
              • Mar 2012
              • Tasmania

Thanks for the reply erad. I was considering doing the same, but I don't have a digital vernier gauge or any friends with mechanical knowledge... plus the spacer is snapped in half.

Mitsubishi have just quoted me as follows:

Gear is $170
              Spacer $28
              Blade $28

Is it possible to re-use the gear? Or were the now broken pins attached to the gear, meaning I need to replace it?

Comment

• Just Cruzin
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2014
                • Pakenham

The pins do come out and can be bought as a spare part from Mitsubishi, but they are a pain to get out. Gently screw in a small self tapping screw and pull with pliers.
                Buy a new plate, spacer, pins x2 and pulley bolt and you should be good to go.
                The spacer is not really a spacer, its a backing plate and goes behind the timing plate.

Comment

• 85L200Express
                  • Mar 2012
                  • Tasmania

Thanks for the info justcruzin.. here's a pic of it, one pin looks like it's almost molded on.

On a related note... i got my damn punch jammed in the balancer wheel! I'll probably try and screw in some kind of tech screw to get it out, what do you reckon? I'm really over this crap!

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

• my.paj
                    • Dec 2010
                    • Tullamarine

Is that rust inside the gear?
                    Old, NP Exceed 3.5 petrol, ARB Bull bar, Warn winch, Bush Skinz Bash plates ,2inch lift, Safari Snorkel. ***Now Sold***

Comment

• 85L200Express
                      • Mar 2012
                      • Tasmania

No, it was built up mud and dirt. Maybe why it was wobbly? I'm not sure when the timing belt was last done before I had it.

Comment

• Just Cruzin
                        Valued Member
                        • Jul 2014
                        • Pakenham

Don't use a screw yo get the punch out, use a nail upside down.

Comment

• 85L200Express
                          • Mar 2012
                          • Tasmania

Yeah I would, but the damn sprocket is still stuck on the opposite side!

Comment

• my.paj
                            • Dec 2010
                            • Tullamarine

To get the sprocket off use a soft hammer of wood soak in wd40 and try heat if needed

Comment

• 85L200Express
                              • Mar 2012
                              • Tasmania

I got the sprocket off. It looks like surface rust had stuck them together. I'll get a pic up once photobucket comes online again.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X