• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • catsman
    • Feb 2012
    • Western Melbourne, VIC

Land Rover Discovery 5 Launched overnight

First impressions it looks like a territory had sex with an evoque. A lot of the design heritage has been shed for something that looks more like a range rover sport. Not sure their strategy will work as it seems to water down the range rover marque, where they are competing with bentley and porsche with this car competing with audi/bmw/merc. Prices are likely to be from $81k so $10 up on the D4.

This car continues the trend of taking heritage 4wd's and turning them into large cars, not sure I'm down with that although in reality my tours are far and few between. Have to wait and see what the Defender turns out to be in a few years time. Pretty soon the Landcruiser will be the only true 4wd available around here. I'd be surprised if the next Prado isn't moncoque as well.

That said the raw stats are good, 34 deg approach angle, 30 deg departure, 285mm clearance, airbag suspension and 900mm wading depth. Compared to Prado for example 32, 25, 220mm and 700mm.

Personally I am thinking of buying a disco 4 on runout although it is hard to justify spending an extra $50k to get a car basically the same as what I have now.

What do guys think? The Patrol is all but dead here, the Pajero is on it's last legs, no one in their right mind would consider a Jeep. So what will you be driving tomorrow?
    NOW: 2009 Land Rover Discovery 3 SE - I'm working on it..

WAS: '94 NJ 3L manual - ARB bullbar, IPF spotties, 2" lift, OME shocks, 31" BFG A/T. 384k and no more, RIP old girl
  • Dicko1
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Cairns, FNQ

The caffe, latte sippers will love it...
    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• entropy
      • May 2009
      • NSW Lake Macquarie

it's also around 500kg lighter than the current Disco. That's fine if you're looking for better fuel economy, but not so much for towing heavy. The D5 is rated to tow 3.5 tonne, same as the current D4, but how will it handle getting pushed around by a 3.5 tonne tow?

The old rule of thumb was don't tow heavier than the tow vehicle.

I've just bought a D4, because I reckon the D5, pretty as it is, may struggle as a tow vehicle at heavy weights. That's not because it lacks power - just mass.
      Current ride
      Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE with factory diff lock.

Gone but not forgotten
      NT SWB X DiD in Cool Silver

Comment

• Tuba
        • Feb 2015
        • Qld

The Pajero is Mits' flagship offroader, the Disco is not LRs. Although 2018 is not looking much better for the Defender.

Comment

• Fritterbug
          Valued Member
          • May 2013
          • Brisbane

Originally posted by Tuba View Post
          The Pajero is Mits' flagship offroader, the Disco is not LRs. Although 2018 is not looking much better for the Defender.
          Depends on how you look at it. The D4, RRS and RR are all very competent off roaders. Not like a BMW or Audi. . Whether the owner uses that ability is another thing.
          I don't know yet but I would like to think the D5 will continue to be a competent off roader.

The Defender, D1 and RRC all used the same suspension that was originally designed for the RRC. The Defender never changed while the other two have a few times and continue to do so to chase on road refinement by relying more heavily on electronic intervention to retain their off road ability.
          MY14 Pajero VRX

Comment

• Ian Sharpe
            Valued Member
            • Nov 2000
            • Tasmania

Badged SD4 and paired with a ZF eight-speed automatic gearbox, the 2.0-litre model will have 237bhp and 500Nm of torque - enough for a 0-60mph time of 8.0 seconds - but return 43.5mpg and 171g/km of CO2 emissions.

Wow, they are wringing some power out of the 2.0l motor. one would have to question its longetivety, great economy though
            Last edited by Ian Sharpe; 30-09-16, 05:24 PM.
            NS shorty 3.8l petrol with winch, front/rear E-lockers
            NT shorty 3.2l tdi, pretty stock with rear locker

Comment

• Fritterbug
              Valued Member
              • May 2013
              • Brisbane

The article states it has a 4 cylinder diesel for the first time.
              The D1 had a 4 cylinder diesel.
              The 5 cylinder didn't come til 1999 in the D2. So that was 10 years of 4 cylinder diesel engines.
              MY14 Pajero VRX

Comment

• catsman
                • Feb 2012
                • Western Melbourne, VIC

Looks to be very similar to the Jaguar f pace, minus the transfer case
                NOW: 2009 Land Rover Discovery 3 SE - I'm working on it..

WAS: '94 NJ 3L manual - ARB bullbar, IPF spotties, 2" lift, OME shocks, 31" BFG A/T. 384k and no more, RIP old girl

Comment

• Roach
                  • Nov 2013
                  • Cairns

Anyone notice they are driving it through salt water? For wading depth demo. Must have a good rust protection system. Lol
                  Swb nh import 3.0 v6 5spd man, ralliart, lifted, locked and charged on 37" creepys!!

Comment

• GOSSAMER
                    Valued Member
                    • Apr 2008
                    • doncaster east vic

Getting rid of the split tailgate seems a dumb idea unless you can open just the glass.
                    Back from the Dark side
                    NT VRX, Ironbark, Dobinson suspension, Kanati muddies 275 65 18, Boo's bash plates (now with dents )

Comment

• vladguan
                      Valued Member
                      • Mar 2015
                      • Adelaide

Originally posted by Roach View Post
                      Anyone notice they are driving it through salt water? For wading depth demo. Must have a good rust protection system. Lol
                      In Europe, you have salt over road to de-ice so even if you don't go wading in salty water, you will have salt damage opportunities over winter.
                      Please call me Vlad.
                      -----------------------
                      MY15 NX GLS - SPV EGR; Donaldson filter; Front sensors; Compass; DEI506T and DEI507M; LED interior and exterior lights; Blue LED step lights; 3T tow bar; 20% front & clear tint over privacy windows; Chrome handle protectors; 3x Bushskinz guards; Nudge bar; Hella Sharptones; Dual alarm horns; STEDI lightbar; TC mod loom; Paddles; ProVent 200; Dobinsons springs and MRR shocks; Bonnet struts; OCAM awning; Rear work light; Air compressor. TBD - UHF.

Comment

• activnt
                        • May 2010

looks like they also now come with the option of no low range...

I do love the look of the interior of them but would never ever trust one to drive, far too many horror stories of all types of LR's letting their owners down, usually at the worst time. Friend's D3 is just a pile of garbage - he installed a bike hand pump system because the airbags failed so often.

Can just imagine the nightmares the owners of the new D5's will have with all the extra electronic trickery like heated washer jets
                        2010 Gold ACTiV NT: twin lockers, lift, lights, winch & other stuff

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X