• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ent
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2014
    • Tasmania

Hi

I think from memory they are Corvus and very smart little buggers having worked out zips and such things. Almost rumors of them undoing combination locks. You will not see them and then turn around and back and the blighters are helping themselves to your supplies.

But back on thread. Yeap, few things to consider. Any thoughts on "best" battery".

Cheers
    2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.

Comment

• whynot
      • Jan 2013
      • Brisbane

On a side note....which maps and books (Hema?) do people recommend for researching tracks and desert trips as I am also i early stages of planning a 2017 trip.

Thanks in advance.
      Prado 150 petrol.
      Now gone but still have great memories of adventures - 2010 PB auto Challenger, Factory tow bar, King springs, Oztec shocks, Firestone airbags, TJM steel bar, snorkel, bash plates. Redarc brake controller, custon draws, second batery in back. Anderson plug, redarc isolator, manual circuit breaker. Towing jayco eagle outback 2005.
      Turbo replaced under warranty at 159200 klm. Engine dead at 190000 klm.

Comment

• pajeromack
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2014
        • NSW

Haven't yet done the simpson trip, it is on my list.

Originally posted by Ent View Post
        1. A long range tank is tempting but reading the forum suggests the best offers only 100 litres of effective capacity versus say 65 litres effective capacity standard. If it was say 130 litres then no brainier but lot of money for small extra. Also, in Tassie tank clearance big issue with solid rocks being tank killers so not keen to compromise but having a 1000 km range rather tempting.
        The factory fuel capacity is rubbish for touring. The current crop of ute-derived 4WDs all seem to have this problem, the Pajero Sport makes it even worse. Those long range tanks look like a fantastic retrofit. From the prices I've seen they are cheaper than I would have expected. You would need to make a few trips to get the moneys worth, but I'm sure you would.

They sell plastic 20L jerry cans at bunnings for $20 for extra capacity.

2. Plan to run second complete spare. Roof basket sounds the go for it but with say 30 litres of diesel in 10 litre containers I will be pushing the roof's loading. Not sure what the LT spare will weigh.
        Would be cautious about putting fuel or tyres on the roof. The roof rails flex with my own weight (75kg) up there. I prefer to put the lighter and bulky stuff up there - mattress/tent/camping chairs/bedding. All held in by a cargo net. I would mount the heavier stuff lower/inside the cabin.

If you are serious about loading up your roof, I'd recommend you look at aftermarket options. ARB do a channel mount basket.

3. Toying with the http://www.tyretrek.com.au/ option with twin jerry cans so forty litres but not sure on cost and annoyance value of the swinging it away to open the rear hatch. Anyone used one with standard Challenger towbar? Basically how does fact mingle with marketing claims? If the go then roof basket can take extra fuel. Not a lover of fuel in the cabin.
        Interesting. What's the price?
        I'm a bit apprehensive about having the weight supported off the end of the tow-bar. There would be some serious leverage, no?

4. Water needed?
        Yup. I always bring as much as I can fit.

7. Roof pod a good or bad idea instead of a basket? Any brands to get or avoid?
        Personal preference really. Not a fan of the pods myself. The beauty of the baskets is that you can carry large items which won't fit in the cabin or in a pod. The pods do offer weather/dust protection, but they make roof bags that offer that too.

Hi
        But back on thread. Yeap, few things to consider. Any thoughts on "best" battery".
        New battery won't hurt. Most people froth over the Optima series. Personally I'd just carry some jumper cables so you can jump from your AUX battery or the other vehicle.
        Last edited by pajeromack; 19-08-16, 09:24 AM.

Comment

• Ent
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2014
          • Tasmania

Hi

Agree with the roof load limit makes it better for light bulky stuff. Numbers in the vehicle are between one and three, the joys of planning with other people so no idea on internal space.

I am increasingly leaning to the long range tank for the reasons you give. Even in Tassie the 70 litre tank can be problematic as the West Coast ran out of diesel now twice on our trips. No problem as a tourist passing through but rather limited long 4x4 trips using Queenstown as a base. Just wish it was say 120 effective capacity. Friend just came back from a trip Bourke and found diesel 4x4s camped waiting for diesel at one location, he was petrol so ok to continue.

It is interesting how personal experiences colours your mindset. With the Challenger three times I have had to use the spare. Rather dampens your willingness to explore once used with a safety first mindset. At low pressures now three times (twice with me) I have seen a stick attempt to enter through the rim/tyre bead area. On a car I lost both tyres on one side to a sharp rock and on Saturday found in Tassie very limited ability to get mobile again. Only because my brother personally knew a wrecker could I source something that got the car mobile. In all cases canned tyre "sealer" failed to work. I have been "slimed" by marketing claims.

In Tassie despite the tourist tag you outside business hours are largely left your own devices so rather use to "remote" touring issues, but with option to call home.

Tyre Trek is interesting as a "perfect" solution if it works. Cost though is likely very high. Every forum I have read expresses concern over leverage and corrugated roads but near impossible to find reports good or bad. That with say a 107 Davis tank would give 140 litres of fuel so 700 km offroad and touring range of say 1200kms safely.

As a Tasmanian we have the added hassle of the boat trip with fuel and immutable deadline so not like a case of negotiating a few extra days off work if things go pear shape. You could be weeks trying to get the car back dealing with the world's worse thing, a Tasmanian Government Business Enterprise (GBE or better know as GBH) in the Spirit of Tasmanian Government Bureaucracy.

Cheers
          2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.

Comment

• nj swb
            Resident
            • Jun 2007
            • Adelaide

Travelling with 3, I can understand the desire for the roof rack. If you're down to 2, make it all fit inside. If I can do it with Shorty, what's your excuse?

Another option to consider. Body lift. Then get the long range tank made taller to suit, which increases the capacity without needing to sacrifice so much ground clearance. I originally only installed the body lift on Shorty so I could get a larger long range tank (a whole 15 extra litres over the "normal" long range, but it meant I went from 75 litres factory to 120 litres aftermarket - it was easier to pay the price for an extra 45 litres than it was an extra 30 litres). Of course, once I had the body lift, I had room to run 33s.

Personally, I wouldn't trust the tow bar carrier. Most people who use them, even those who think they do "real" 4wding, wouldn't understand what you do with yours. In my opinion, you can't even begin to compare the dynamic loads of a 250kg ball weight versus a 100kg mass above and behind where the ball would otherwise be. Have you considered where the centre of gravity is for the tow bar carrier, and how it will move around, vs the loading of a trailer coupling? It may work for some, but I wouldn't try it in your situation.
            NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Ent
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2014
              • Tasmania

Me thinks I will leave a body life alone as a bit much for this little black duck. As much as I love the idea of 255 85R16 the law says otherwise.

Decided to get quotes on long range standard tank replacement. Two brands around with one 107 and another 115. Now what are their effective capacities not sure. Monday numbers will come in.

Against my better judgement went to ARB and as usual if it is not a Toyata they have not much idea. After claiming a 125 litre caoacity bit of questioning revealed a cost of $2,450 plus needing a rack for the spare. Yeah, is was an auxiliary tank. Even with my capacity to spend money this is in noddy land as Kaymar just way too expensive on top of the tank cost.

Tyre Trek rather slow responding so no nearer to that getting sorted.

Generally reading confirms the Challenger is not really suitable for a roof platform. Shovel and four Maxtraxs might be the sum of that game.

Number of passengers still up in the air.

We gave another starter, a 2007 Ford Ranger. Trying hard to talk them into LT tyres as were sold AT but in passenger construction. Personally I would like to take more than a few tyre places behind the shelter shed and "discuss" their "advice". As for ATs in passenger construction I think more than a few brands rather con people.

Comment

• nj swb
                Resident
                • Jun 2007
                • Adelaide

We gave another starter, a 2007 Ford Ranger. Trying hard to talk them into LT tyres as were sold AT but in passenger construction. Personally I would like to take more than a few tyre places behind the shelter shed and "discuss" their "advice". As for ATs in passenger construction I think more than a few brands rather con people.
                I agree. ATs in Passenger construction are for the occasional day trip to the beach or fire trails out of Melbourne. They don't belong in the Simpson - they're the ones who need two spares, not you.

Ultimately, it may not be your decision, but I would be very reluctant to cross the Simpson with a vehicle on P construction ATs.
                NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Ent
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2014
                  • Tasmania

Well crashed and burned on the Tyre Trek fuel and spare tyre thanks to Mitsubishi tow bar once again. The reason is the Tyre Trek system needs a depth of 65mm measured from the pin centre order for its wedge locking system to fit. My Challenger had only at absolute best 38mm. The reason is the very close proximity to the spare tyre.

Ok, better start looking at long range tanks again.

Comment

• Motorace
                    • Oct 2012
                    • Brisbane

Well crashed and burned on the Tyre Trek fuel and spare tyre thanks to Mitsubishi tow bar once again. The reason is the Tyre Trek system needs a depth of 65mm measured from the pin centre order for its wedge locking system to fit. My Challenger had only at absolute best 38mm. The reason is the very close proximity to the spare tyre.

Ok, better start looking at long range tanks again.
                    Very interesting! this will rule this option out for a few people (like me)
                    2012 PB Challenger- Auto; Full BushSkinz, Pioneer platform roof-rack, ScanGauge 2, Milspec rust proofing, custom seat mod +50mm legroom. Duel battery. Fridge box. Ome suspension.

Comment

• Ent
                      Valued Member
                      • Apr 2014
                      • Tasmania

Ok two tank choices, Davis at 107 litres with reports of 100 effective, or even dearer still an Outback Accessory one with 112 litres claimed but no idea of effective capacity and clearance issues. Any thoughts?

Comment

• shortSteve
                        • Dec 2012
                        • Perth

Ok two tank choices, Davis at 107 litres with reports of 100 effective, or even dearer still an Outback Accessory one with 112 litres claimed but no idea of effective capacity and clearance issues. Any thoughts?
                        Outback accessories I went with, if filling to "first click" expect fuel light around 90L, empty at 100. BUT...as I found out, atleast another 7L can be put in slowly before overfilling, so imagine the same as the BD tank.

Of note, early BD tanks had some failures, but nothing recent (like, last 3 or 4 years) has come up negative on searching. My OA tank looks like corrugated iron underneath after some nasty rock hopping, but still solid as. Lot of coin for an extra 2 jerry cans worth of fuel, but so much easier than having to take an extra 4 cans for the simpson crossing.

sS
                        MY13 Triton GLX Dual-Cab
                        twin locked, canopy and racks, bars front and rear, camera and sensors, bashplates and snorkel, lift and 32's, long range tank, ecu tune and exhaust and many many memories...
                        15 PC Challenger, nudge bar, tow bar, arb roof rack, IPF spotties, uhf, lift, 32's on MN GLX alloys, ORS draw system, fridge and slide, arkpak and awning....so far.

Comment

• old Jack
                          Regular
                          • Jun 2011
                          • Adelaide, South Australia.

Even with a LR tank you will still need to carry 1 or 2 jerry cans so why not carry 3 and save yourself the expense. You can fill these at Mt Dare and once they are empty put them on the roof.
                          Quality plastic fuel containers do not leak and are very robust, and are not an issue to carry inside the cabin. 3x plastic jerry cans will easily fit in a light frame that bolts to the 1/3 back seat mounts once it is removed, as long as the cans are upright and strapped in then there are no problems.

OJ.
                          2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                          MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Ent
                            Valued Member
                            • Apr 2014
                            • Tasmania

Hi OJ

Economically correct but just do not like fuel in the cabin. Each to their own. Was planning to do away with a roof basket given the possible tyre and fuel storage option but that was not to be.

Might wind up a rear seats up and that will rather make for tight fit.

Also like the idea of a long range tank for normal use as often do 500km round trips and pain having to fill up before and after.

Cheers.

Comment

• KevL
                              • May 2015
                              • Murphys Creek

I know you said no fuel in cab but...

Just 1 example, I've never used one.

Comment

• pajeromack
                                Valued Member
                                • Jun 2014
                                • NSW

I wouldn't use a foot-well tank - how do you fill them!?! You aren't allowed to fill tanks inside the cabin, even if you use diesel.

I'd rather go for a couple of plastic jerry cans. The new ones seal really well and don't have any fumes, just gotta wipe them down. Diesel isn't very volatile anyway.
                                Long range tanks the most ideal though.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X