Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Challenger/ Pajero Sport > PB -PC Challenger 2009 - 2014

PB -PC Challenger 2009 - 2014 Covering 2.5 HP diesel

Old 05-08-17
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurray2250 View Post
Presently nursing my Challenger from Longreach to Brisbane where both front Bilstein leaking oil. I have Dobinson heavy duty coils.

Not happy 😠
I still have not replaced my right front Bilstein as I have not decided what to do. Too busy with work and other stuff at the moment. Strut initially leaked for a few weeks and now it has slowed down to a weep. Doing the bounce test on the front it is difficult to tell the difference between left and right. When driving the only difference I think I can feel is slightly more nose dive on the right but I could be imaging it since I know the strut is not 100%.

If the car is still handling ok then no need to nurse it, maybe drop a few psi from the tyres on rough roads.

At this stage I still believe it is the springs that are causing the Bilstein failures. Any coil that does not have the top winds ground flat puts a sideboard on the struts and this flexes the shafts.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT245/75/16, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, +40mm std front Lovells, +50mm rear EHDVR Lovells, Bilsteins, Peddars 5899 bump stops, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II, torque convertor lockup indicator.
Old 07-08-17
Valued Member

Still delighted with my Drummond Motor Sport front struts. Now done 70,000 ms on them. Bit more cranking up needed once rear springs go in and then DooSo back to full off-road height. They work a treat with the steel bullbar and winch so nothing more needed than winding them up to proper height after adding the bar and winch. Indeed, DooSo with all the steel front and rear is very balanced and handles beautifully at the moment, so hopefully the new rear springs will not stuff up the neutral handling.

In all wrapped how DooSo rides and handles at the moment. But the test will be with full load on board.
2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.
Old 08-08-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Jack View Post
I still have not replaced my right front Bilstein as I have not decided what to do. Too busy with work and other stuff at the moment. Strut initially leaked for a few weeks and now it has slowed down to a weep. Doing the bounce test on the front it is difficult to tell the difference between left and right. When driving the only difference I think I can feel is slightly more nose dive on the right but I could be imaging it since I know the strut is not 100%.

If the car is still handling ok then no need to nurse it, maybe drop a few psi from the tyres on rough roads.

At this stage I still believe it is the springs that are causing the Bilstein failures. Any coil that does not have the top winds ground flat puts a sideboard on the struts and this flexes the shafts.

OJ.
I have nursed the Challenger in to Brisbane from Longreach and handled OK. The front right is now stopped leaking, so expect if have no oil left but the left is still leaking. The struts will be removed on Wednesday and sent to Bilstein for warranty replacement. The shocks are 13 months old but I understand Bilstein are good with there warranty even a month or 2 passed the 12 months
Old 08-08-17
Valued Member

Quote:
I have nursed the Challenger in to Brisbane from Longreach and handled OK. The front right is now stopped leaking, so expect if have no oil left but the left is still leaking. The struts will be removed on Wednesday and sent to Bilstein for warranty replacement. The shocks are 13 months old but I understand Bilstein are good with there warranty even a month or 2 passed the 12 months
Of the 3 Bilstein front struts I have that have fail all have leaked oil then slowed down to a weep and when the struts have been removed have nitrogen pressure. Only s lsght loss of dampening control could be detected. All shafts were scored/dull on one side of the shaft only and in a small section where the shaft normally runs. None of the shockers have been repairable because of shaft damage and only one was replaced under warranty even though it had 30,000km of use the other 2 shockers had 40,000 and 65,000kms of use.

What coils are you using?
Are the top winds ground flat? If not then I suggest you change coils as I believe this causes the problems due to shaft flex that chops out the seals, combined with the high pressure nitrogen charge of the Bilstein design.

Best of Luck,

OJ
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT245/75/16, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, +40mm std front Lovells, +50mm rear EHDVR Lovells, Bilsteins, Peddars 5899 bump stops, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II, torque convertor lockup indicator.
Old 08-08-17
Valued Member

either change coils or shocks.

From my experience Bilstien will not warrant if the shaft is the problem as they will blame the coil and you mention dobbinson HD coils and they don't have a taper, I know, been through this whole experience.

the cost of fixing you can purchase a new billie strut for around $50 more as the rebuild and shaft costs that......

I also never noticed much change in effect of the dampening, but didn't want a catastrophic failure at the worst possible time- rather be preventative than reactive.

There is nothing wrong with the coil, just that the bilstien shocks are not suited to particular coils. you might have a chance with the supplier of the aftermarket suspension?
Old 08-08-17
Valued Member

I'm currently running Kings Springs with my Bilstien struts. They came pre-assembled.

That is fitted to a new MQ Triton. Don't know if that's relevant.
MY17 Triton GLX Plus with Mitsubishi Canopy. Keeping it light and simple. 265/70/16 Nitto's, Bilstien shocks, Kings Springs front, Formula leafs rear, ECB nudge bar, Ligjtforce 170's, twin batteries and a ARB fridge.
Old 09-08-17

Bilstein replaced the struts and Zordo's suspension installed them today. Very happy with the service from Bilstein and Zordo's
Old 09-08-17
Valued Member

Quote:
Bilstein replaced the struts and Zordo's suspension installed them today. Very happy with the service from Bilstein and Zordo's
Are the top winds of the coils ground flat?
If not I believe you will have the same problem again.

OJ.
Old 10-08-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Jack View Post
Are the top winds of the coils ground flat?
If not I believe you will have the same problem again.

OJ.
The Dobinson coils are grinded flat like the OEM were.

There was 2 importers of Bilstein suspension until 2nd half of 2016. The one in Victoria has sold the business to the one in Sydney as he was retiring. The shocks have some minor differences but almost the same. The new ones are shorter overall by 20mm roughly. The drive is great considering the wauy it was. The old shocks still have heaps of pressure besides the oil coming out.

Service and warranty is a big thing
Old 10-08-17
Valued Member

Quote:
The Dobinson coils are grinded flat like the OEM were.

There was 2 importers of Bilstein suspension until 2nd half of 2016. The one in Victoria has sold the business to the one in Sydney as he was retiring. The shocks have some minor differences but almost the same. The new ones are shorter overall by 20mm roughly. The drive is great considering the wauy it was. The old shocks still have heaps of pressure besides the oil coming out.

Service and warranty is a big thing
It would be great if you could measure your front EBH and then jack a front wheel clear of the ground and measure the centre wheel hub to under guard (EBH) again. The 20mm shorter shocker on the front equates to about 40mm of suspension travel and this has got me concerned that the shocker maybe too short. What part number shocker has been used/

OJ.