Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-1 Pajero

Generation 4-1 Pajero NS Model 2006 - 2009

Old 13-01-17
Valued Member

Like the other said, get a scanner and see what your auto temps are. From memory if too hot the auto shutsdown by design and the 'N' will start flashing.

Just read further and saw you have the torque app. It can read auto temp, but you have to configure a custom PID. I know I have my configured that way, I'll see if I can find the information, pretty sure it is on these forums somewhere.

How long since auto was serviced? What auto oil is being used? As from all reading here the auto in these beasties are quite particular on what they can use.

Found the link on how to configure torque pro with auto temp guage https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=47197

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.
Wanting: Rocksliders, 2" lift, snorkel or perhaps I should wait and purchase a NS swb in 12months time.

Last edited by craka; 13-01-17 at 10:47 AM.
Old 13-01-17
Valued Member

Does the NS have the Jatco or Aisin trans fitted?

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT245/75/16, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, +40mm std front Lovells, +50mm rear EHDVR Lovells, Bilsteins, Peddars 5899 bump stops, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II, torque convertor lockup indicator.
Old 13-01-17
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Jack View Post
Does the NS have the Jatco or Aisin trans fitted?

OJ.
Jatco I think. Why?

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.
Wanting: Rocksliders, 2" lift, snorkel or perhaps I should wait and purchase a NS swb in 12months time.
Old 13-01-17

Default gearbox slipping under load

May or not be a related symptom to cause the issue but anyway.

Our NS when comes out of lockup does a big flare before taking up again, this will happen when going uphill at a cruise speed or even a kickdown for a lane change or speed up. I recall this being a similar thing in the two Pajero my old girl had early 2000s. Maybe just a trait of the 5spd I'm not sure as only been in three cars that do it. Does it everytime, has also thrown the ASC off light a couple of times. Silly logic in the parameters as it always unlocks too late , even a slight tap of the pedal doesn't unlock it where in most autos I've driven you can do this to preempt the additional acceleration.

Got me stuffed
Old 13-01-17
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craka View Post
Jatco I think. Why?
The PB/PC Challenger has the same 5 speed Jatco auto fitted but it has a higher stall ratio torque convertor, TC lockup only 4th and 5th and a very poor ECU program. When the trans was fitted to the Pajero it had TC lock up in 3rd, 4th and 5th and a lower stall ratio TC and better ECU programming so it is less inclined to go into limp mode when working hard.

Common myth is the "limp modes" are generated by excessive ATF temperatures but the "AT Temp" warning light does not illuminate. My belief is the trans is going into "limp mode" because of excessive TC slip at a given vehicle speed and throttle position over a certain period of time. When you get the "limp mode", power is cut and the "N" display flashes, remove foot from the accelerator, place trans selector into "N" and then back into "D" and gently apply the accelerator, this will reset the limp mode whilst the car is in motion. Sure the excessive TC slip causes elevated ATF temps but adding an extra ATF cooler does not prevent the "limp modes", monitoring ATF temps, using 4th and keeping an eye on the rpm vs speed can almost eliminate "limp modes" but it is not exactly a relaxed way to go travelling.

Plenty of reading in these links;

https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=26645
https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=51723
https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=53736
https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=36892

I have also seen the Jatco box go into "limp mode" caused by a faulty engine coolant temperature sensor/wiring, it was over reading and this cause the Engine ECU to signal the AT ECU to put the trans into "limp mode" even though the engine coolant was not too hot. There are multiple sensors that feed information to the ECU's and if this information is incorrect due to faulty sensors and/or wiring then false l"imp modes" can be triggered.

For the OP who's auto has done 200,000kms, yes it may or may not need an overhaul but I would be eliminating the electrical side of the system first and start monitoring ATF temps first.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT245/75/16, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, +40mm std front Lovells, +50mm rear EHDVR Lovells, Bilsteins, Peddars 5899 bump stops, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II, torque convertor lockup indicator.
Old 16-01-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Jack View Post
The PB/PC Challenger has the same 5 speed Jatco auto fitted but it has a higher stall ratio torque convertor, TC lockup only 4th and 5th and a very poor ECU program. When the trans was fitted to the Pajero it had TC lock up in 3rd, 4th and 5th and a lower stall ratio TC and better ECU programming so it is less inclined to go into limp mode when working hard.

Common myth is the "limp modes" are generated by excessive ATF temperatures but the "AT Temp" warning light does not illuminate. My belief is the trans is going into "limp mode" because of excessive TC slip at a given vehicle speed and throttle position over a certain period of time. When you get the "limp mode", power is cut and the "N" display flashes, remove foot from the accelerator, place trans selector into "N" and then back into "D" and gently apply the accelerator, this will reset the limp mode whilst the car is in motion. Sure the excessive TC slip causes elevated ATF temps but adding an extra ATF cooler does not prevent the "limp modes", monitoring ATF temps, using 4th and keeping an eye on the rpm vs speed can almost eliminate "limp modes" but it is not exactly a relaxed way to go travelling.

Plenty of reading in these links;

https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=26645
https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=51723
https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=53736
https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=36892

I have also seen the Jatco box go into "limp mode" caused by a faulty engine coolant temperature sensor/wiring, it was over reading and this cause the Engine ECU to signal the AT ECU to put the trans into "limp mode" even though the engine coolant was not too hot. There are multiple sensors that feed information to the ECU's and if this information is incorrect due to faulty sensors and/or wiring then false l"imp modes" can be triggered.

For the OP who's auto has done 200,000kms, yes it may or may not need an overhaul but I would be eliminating the electrical side of the system first and start monitoring ATF temps first.

OJ.
cheers old jack. appreciate the reply... will look into it
Old 16-01-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by craka View Post
Like the other said, get a scanner and see what your auto temps are. From memory if too hot the auto shutsdown by design and the 'N' will start flashing.

Just read further and saw you have the torque app. It can read auto temp, but you have to configure a custom PID. I know I have my configured that way, I'll see if I can find the information, pretty sure it is on these forums somewhere.

How long since auto was serviced? What auto oil is being used? As from all reading here the auto in these beasties are quite particular on what they can use.

Found the link on how to configure torque pro with auto temp guage https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=47197
thanks! i'll have to get it sorted to have the AT temp - thats great!

the auto was serviced just a couple days before it played up on me last. not sure what auto oil was used but was done by a highly reputable pajero mechanic so very confident he would use right oil
Old 16-01-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicko1 View Post
I would fit an Ultragauge to get an accurate auto temp readout,. It could be the auto temp putting you into limp mode.. I,ve seen my auto get to 110 when going up a hill in D. i4th in sports mode greatly reduces temps. Great unit for monitoring your temps whilst towing. Most people who think they are going along sweetly in an auto towing in D done have an auto temp display and would be very surprised at the high temps of the transmission.
cheers dicko - wil llook into the Ultragauge!