• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LukeS
    • Mar 2010
    • Brisbane

Cold Starting

I have noticed that my challenger is sometimes turning over longer when cold starting lately.. Im assuming its because of the recent cold weather, is anyone else noticing this? Today for example it would have turned over 5 or so times before starting, where as normally its 1-2 times. Seems to be glowing the usual amount of time..
    Mitsubishi PB Challenger:- Charcoal, 5sp auto, Factory bluetooth, Mickey Thompson ATZ 4 rib 265 70/17, Old Man Emu suspension, Hayman Reece towbar, Custom nudge bar w/lightforce spotties, Custom bash plates, Extended diff breathers, GME TX3100 UHF, ABR Dual battery system, Prodigy P3 brake controller, APT fabrication sliders/steps. Towing: Jayco Hawk Outback

To do: Airtec snorkel, maybe ARB bar...
  • russ1
    • Feb 2011
    • adelaide

Originally posted by LukeS View Post
    I have noticed that my challenger is sometimes turning over longer when cold starting lately.. Im assuming its because of the recent cold weather, is anyone else noticing this? Today for example it would have turned over 5 or so times before starting, where as normally its 1-2 times. Seems to be glowing the usual amount of time..
    Yes, mine seems to be cranking longer than usual, I put it down to the colder days lately here in Adelaide. The cranking also seems harsher than "normal" and not as strong, as if the engine just fires up. Glows for about 4 seconds. Not being a mechanic, Im just monitoring it at the moment, glad you raised the point though.

Comment

• greig
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2010
      • kanwal

In cold weather...especially when camping..mine starts and then seems to run on 3 cylinders for a short period of time ( and blows white smoke )

My thinking is maybe one of the glow plugs is not working???

By the time the next service is due, it will be summer time...so they won't find anything wrong???

Comment

• wasarangie
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2010
        • Ocean Grove

I found it depends what fuel I use, Shell or Caltex Vortex. On the Shell fuel it seems to take longer to start, I tested it by alternating the fills between our local servos.

Maybe it is just me but the Vortex fuel seems to starts easier.
        SOLD MY11 PB LS Challenger Manual,

MY18 Ford Ranger Wildtrak, Auto. Smartbar Stealth. Warn 9k winch, Redarc dual battery system. over tub rack system. Minecorp phone mount. Folding Phone and UHF antennae mounts. 9" LED driving lights. Assortment of extras from Tickford.

Comment

• Campingking
          • Nov 2010
          • Melbourne

Originally posted by LukeS View Post
          I have also noted the same issue. I glow twice on cold mornings before starting, works for me.

Comment

• tpnkt
            • Feb 2011
            • Brisbane

I'm in Armidale atm and morning temp's are around 0 (there was snow on the tablelands today). Have only noticed a very slight increase in cranking time, nothing that would have warranted a comment if I hadn't seen this thread. This is with stock tune, no ecu mods.

Comment

• DaveXT
              • Mar 2010
              • Melbourne Outer East

Might be a silly question but do you all wait for the glow plug indicator to go out before you start cranking?

Comment

• jimsiron
                • Feb 2010
                • Mildura, gateway to the outback

Originally posted by tpnkt View Post
                I'm in Armidale atm and morning temp's are around 0 (there was snow on the tablelands today). Have only noticed a very slight increase in cranking time, nothing that would have warranted a comment if I hadn't seen this thread. This is with stock tune, no ecu mods.
                Here, Here, We have had cold mornings here recently, plenty of frosts and have had no trouble at all,no mods at all to engine systems. If it aint broke then don't fix it!
                regards
                jimsiron
                2010 manual in Terra Rosa, ARB deluxe bar,Cibie Oscar lights, Redarc dual battery monitor, Factory mats throughout,Redarc remote brake controller, Electraphone UHF, MMA tow bar, Garmin Navman plus the Misses, and plenty of travelling music! Towing a 2011 Jayco Discovery 17.55.3 Outback.

Comment

• 900canoes
                  Valued Member
                  • May 2008
                  • FNQ

Plummeted down to 18deg here overnight, no probs with starting.
                  2010 (MY11) PB LS Manual. 2017 LS-U DMax spacecab.

Comment

• Tipper
                    • Dec 2010
                    • Perth WA

Originally posted by 900canoes View Post
                    Plummeted down to 18deg here overnight, no probs with starting.
                    OK stop bragging you lucky person

Comment

• momo
                      • Jun 2010
                      • Perth

Yeah if its hard to start when cold the battery voltage gets low really quick and then when it fires up - puff white stinky cloud hovers around for a few min.

Comment

• cry_babys
                        • Dec 2010
                        • nsw

im glad im not the only one, after waiting for glow light to go out it takes longer to start almost like it has a flat battery very long and drawn out cranks its about 5 overnight here

Comment

• Challenged2010
                          • Jul 2010
                          • Naracoorte, SA

No change here, including cranking at -5 in Wellington NSW last Friday morning.
                          Dave
                          2010 Silver Challenger LS auto, ARB Deluxe Bar, EDS full length custom bash plates, Airtek Snorkel, Narva 225 broad beam kit with HID conversion, 2" lift with OME suspension, Yokohama Geolandar AT-S 265-65-17

Comment

• Tipper
                            • Dec 2010
                            • Perth WA

Originally posted by cry_babys View Post
                            im glad im not the only one, after waiting for glow light to go out it takes longer to start almost like it has a flat battery very long and drawn out cranks its about 5 overnight here
                            A newish diesel engine in good condition with a good battery should not struggle to start, even my old Mitsubishi Delica 2.8 used to start first turn in - 10 degrees. I would be taking it to dealer to have it checked doesnt sound right.

Comment

• LukeS
                              • Mar 2010
                              • Brisbane

Originally posted by Tipper View Post
                              A newish diesel engine in good condition with a good battery should not struggle to start, even my old Mitsubishi Delica 2.8 used to start first turn in - 10 degrees. I would be taking it to dealer to have it checked doesnt sound right.
                              Done that already.. Have a guess what they said?? "Thats normal!" they hooked it up to the computer and said "there were no faults found, and the computer would pick it up cause its very sensitive". I knew this was going to be the response before I took it in there.. Apparently they are getting allot of owners complaining of the same thing. Whether they are saying that to keep me quite or not I dont know.
                              Mitsubishi PB Challenger:- Charcoal, 5sp auto, Factory bluetooth, Mickey Thompson ATZ 4 rib 265 70/17, Old Man Emu suspension, Hayman Reece towbar, Custom nudge bar w/lightforce spotties, Custom bash plates, Extended diff breathers, GME TX3100 UHF, ABR Dual battery system, Prodigy P3 brake controller, APT fabrication sliders/steps. Towing: Jayco Hawk Outback

To do: Airtec snorkel, maybe ARB bar...

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X