Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

Is the Challenger a genuine Pajero & Prado alternative?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hookedon4wding
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Mornington Peninsula, VIC

Is the Challenger a genuine Pajero & Prado alternative?

Hi guys, I've gotta say, I'm very impressed with the 'on paper' specs and reviews of the new Challenger. I'm looking to change over my NS Paj midway through next year and have been struggling to find a viable alternative.

I've looked at the NT but it's so similar to the NS it's hardly worth changing over, especially given I'd sacrifice most of my aftermarket mods. I also looked at the Prado last night and $65K on road for the GX poverty pack seems a bit rich despite it looking a very nice vehicle.

So, is the Challenger a genuine alternative for:

1. Towing (up to 2 tonne)
    2. Touring (Simpson, Cape York, Kimberley)
    3. Weekend offroading (with some challenging stuff thrown in)
    4. On road refinement and comfort (is it as bloody noisy as the Paj's?)

Might have to pop up to MM and have a look if they've got one in stock!

Cheers, Sam.
    2010 150 Prado GXL V6 Auto

Accessories fitted: BFG At 275/65/R17, Rhino Platform Rack, Toyota Cargo Barrier.
  • Richo-NT
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2009
    • Brisbane

The short answer is yes, here is the longer answer

Originally posted by Hookedon4wding View Post
    So, is the Challenger a genuine alternative for:

1. Towing (up to 2 tonne) Yes
    2. Touring (Simpson, Cape York, Kimberley)Yes but probably not as comfy
    3. Weekend offroading (with some challenging stuff thrown in)It'll be an improvement
    4. On road refinement and comfort (is it as bloody noisy as the Paj's?)Not as good I suspect in terms of comfort, but refinment will probably be as good if not slighter ahead of the NT as the drivetrain is all new whereas the NT's diesel drivetrain is still a bit loud and thrashy
    2009 NT Pajero GLX 3.2 Auto - Sold

Comment

• Walker
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2007

I had a drive of the Challenger yesterday. I was looking at it as an alternative to the Pajero, I really like the look of it.

BUT......it was even louder on the road than the Pajero! I thought it would probably be noisier but had to try anyway. For me the Pajero is too noisy so there is no way I could live with the Challenger.
      thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
      1987 Range Rover Ute

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. - Homer Simpson

Comment

• Richo-NT
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2009
        • Brisbane

Walker - the NT is a big step forward over the NS in terms of noise at least...

... I guess I was wrong in assuming the new 2.5 would be a more quiet motor?

One thing that does frustrate me about Mitsubishi is with the likes of even Hyundai who are able to make a Diesel engine in a bloody iLoad work van so quiet that from inside the cabin you don't realise it's a diesel, why the hell can't mitsubishi make a diesel that doesn't sound like a rattly old bus?

Comment

• 4eP
          • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Richo-NT View Post
          One thing that does frustrate me about Mitsubishi is with the likes of even Hyundai who are able to make a Diesel engine in a bloody iLoad work van so quiet that from inside the cabin you don't realise it's a diesel, why the hell can't mitsubishi make a diesel that doesn't sound like a rattly old bus?
          You can't win on all scores!

The direct injection diesels are all a bit noisy.
          The 4m40 (2800 TD) was much quieter, just because it was indirect injection.

I must admit that the Di-D's engine noise has never bothered me at all.
          Don't ascribe to malice anything that can be adequately explained as stupidity!
          Pajero LWB Gen1 3.2 Di-D TD Engine
          33" Bridgestone D694s
          2" Lift
          Front Runner Rack

Comment

• Hookedon4wding
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by 4eP View Post
            You can't win on all scores!

The direct injection diesels are all a bit noisy.
            The 4m40 (2800 TD) was much quieter, just because it was indirect injection.

I must admit that the Di-D's engine noise has never bothered me at all.
            Aren't all the new diesels direct injection? Like the Prado, D3 & 4, Toureg etc?

Why is the Paj so much noisier?

It's disappointing to hear the Challenger is just as bad. I went and had a look at one last night too and they're a great looking vehicle.

To me, it seems like Mitsubishi have decided they can't compete with Toyota or the Euros in build quality and refinement so they counter with more standard options. These sound great on paper, but in the real world, after 6-12 months of driving, you tend to forget about the gimicky options (or I do anyway) and are left disappointed with the overall package.

The Mitsubishi 4wd's would be world beaters if they could match the others in this area.

Back to the Challenger, the other thing that worries me is the tiny fuel tank. 70l is outrageous and means you need to add $1500 for a long range tank and another $1000 for a rear wheel carrier straight away which would put the LS up around high $50's on the road.

Alas, I'll have to keep holding my breath for the perfect replacement. Fussy bugger aren't I

Accessories fitted: BFG At 275/65/R17, Rhino Platform Rack, Toyota Cargo Barrier.

Comment

• yellowhornet
              • Dec 2009
              • Brisbane

Originally posted by Hookedon4wding View Post
              the other thing that worries me is the tiny fuel tank. 70l is outrageous and means you need to add $1500 for a long range tank and another $1000 for a rear wheel carrier straight away which would put the LS up around high $50's on the road.
              We brought an LS model at the weekend (inc Towbar, reverse camera) this cost us about $2k under $50K (on the road) so add in the LR fuel tank and rear wheel carrier you would be looking at $50k - pretty good value. (the GLX model is the one that starts out at over $50k).

Comment

• Walker
                Valued Member
                • Aug 2007

Sam,
                Most of the European diesels have Pizo injection which makes them a lot quieter. For some reason the Japanese still refuse to go down this path. Toyota just add a heap more insulation.

I do agree that the NT is a lot better than the NS, but it is still noisy, but also a lot cheaper than other big 4Wd's so I guess it is a trade-off. I am just not sure I can live with the trade off anymore.

I have to admit that I have had a couple of visits to the Toymotor dealer. They are actually doing big discounts at the moment, which they have rarely done before. You can pretty much take off $8k from whatever the retail price is on the model you want. I was lookign at a VX which retails for $81k and there are plenty of people buying it for $73k. The fixed price servicing of $220 is good too.
                thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
                1987 Range Rover Ute

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. - Homer Simpson

Comment

• Hookedon4wding
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2007

Originally posted by yellowhornet View Post
                  We brought an LS model at the weekend (inc Towbar, reverse camera) this cost us about $2k under $50K (on the road) so add in the LR fuel tank and rear wheel carrier you would be looking at $50k - pretty good value. (the GLX model is the one that starts out at over $50k).
                  I stand corrected That is good value. Certainly not what the ballpark figures my dealer was sprouting yesterday.

I stand by the fuel tank issue though. Bit of an oversight, particularly if you're towing.

Comment

• Hookedon4wding
                    Valued Member
                    • Jul 2007

Discounts on the 150 Prado? Really? Hmmm.... sounds interesting.

Comment

• Ballfyboy
                      Valued Member
                      • Sep 2007
                      • Brisbane

I'm pretty sure it is 80L. I think the 70 is a miss print but not 100% sure.

I have never driven a NT Paj, however I did not think that the Challenger was noisy at all. Then again I drive a Ranger 2.5 diesel mon to fri and it was better than that. I have also driven the Nissan 2.5 in a dual cab and I feel it was more than comparable to that.

I remember my mate picking me up in his $125K merc sedan with diesel & 7 speed auto. It was VERY quiet and very nice, but at $75000 more it would want to be. Maybe all cars will be like that one day soon.
                      NX Pajero with a ARB Frontier LR tank and some semi-big ideas.

Comment

• Richo-NT
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2009
                        • Brisbane

The 2.5 TD Hyundai iLoad van I swear honest to go, inside the cab with the windows up you wouldn't know its a diesel! Quiest as, even outside the car the diesel clatter is very quiet. Why can Hyundai do this on a bloody work van but Mitsubishi can't do it on a Pajero?

Fact is I guess the 2.5 in the challenger was originally intended as a work ute engine and the 3.2 in the Pajero is a design that is just getting very long in the tooth.

When is the TDV6 coming Mitsubishi??

I love my Pajero, but I stand by my previous comments that had I had the cash for a Discovery, I'd be in one!

Walker - if your looking at spending VX Prado money then seriously, do yourself a favour and go test drive the new Discovery 4!

Comment

• 4eP
                          • Apr 2008

The 2.5 TD Hyundai iLoad van I swear honest to go, inside the cab with the windows up you wouldn't know its a diesel! Quiest as, even outside the car the diesel clatter is very quiet. Why can Hyundai do this on a bloody work van but Mitsubishi can't do it on a Pajero?

He-he-he!

The 'Hyundai' 2.5Td is in fact the Mitsubishi 4d56, but before Mitsu changed it to direct injection.

It might be quiet, but it doesn't have enough power to pull the skin off a rice pudding!
                          Don't ascribe to malice anything that can be adequately explained as stupidity!
                          Pajero LWB Gen1 3.2 Di-D TD Engine
                          33" Bridgestone D694s
                          2" Lift
                          Front Runner Rack

Comment

• Schniff
                            • Jul 2007
                            • Adelaide

Fact is I guess the 2.5 in the challenger was originally intended as a work ute engine and the 3.2 in the Pajero is a design that is just getting very long in the tooth.

When is the TDV6 coming Mitsubishi??

I love my Pajero, but I stand by my previous comments that had I had the cash for a Discovery, I'd be in one!

Walker - if your looking at spending VX Prado money then seriously, do yourself a favour and go test drive the new Discovery 4!
                            I agree - drove a disco 4 3.0 litre on the weekend and it's an incredible car. I Definitely my next car unless mitsu come to the party with an all new model at changeover time. I test drove a 150 prado and wasn't impressed. Diesel was sluggish, steering too light and handling is still crap even with kdss. The fit and finish is top notch though- very rattle resistant. At similar price to the disco it's a no brainer even if you went for the 2.7
                            Drowned, RIP: NS DID VRX Auto, FP, TJM Sorkel, Cargo Barrier, Infill G4 car PC, Waeco CF-50, Icom IC 400 UHF, ARB deluxe bar, IPF 900XS HID upgrade and dual battery. Kings and Bilsteins, Brown Davis Bash plates, CSA 17 inch alloys with Cooper ST-Cs for the dirt, ORS fridgepack drawers, 90 litre water bladder, LRA aux fuel tank.

Comment

• Richo-NT
                              Valued Member
                              • Jun 2009
                              • Brisbane

Originally posted by 4eP View Post
                              He-he-he!

The 'Hyundai' 2.5Td is in fact the Mitsubishi 4d56, but before Mitsu changed it to direct injection.

It might be quiet, but it doesn't have enough power to pull the skin off a rice pudding!
                              Who spun you that one mate? Perhaps previous diesels Hyundai has used was a mitsubishi unit however that is definetly not the case with the iLoad / iMax twins, and santafe for that matter too...

The 2.5TD in the iLoad is codenamed G4KG8, it IS direct injected and has 125kw and 392nm which isn't exactly gutless. Plus i've driven one, it's pretty grunty!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X