X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cee
    • Oct 2009

Which brand/type of shock absorbers?

Desperately need to replace the rear shock absorbers in our coil 1992 NH Mitsubishi Pajero.
    I have no idea about shock absorbers

Have read that gas is good for everyday use and foam is better for lots of 4wding, just stuck on which brand to buy? Tough dog, bilstein, monroe, Iron Man etc...

Any ideas would be much appreciated??
  • Gasolinejunkie
    • Sep 2009
    • Melbourne

My friend has a set of Iron Man foam cell and he is happy with it, although I recon it rolls quite a bit. I haven’t heard much good about Iron Man so I’m going to steer clear of it.
    Old Man Emu from ARB has the Gas Nitro Sport shockers and they make it for the Gen2 Pajeros, I believe they are the best in the market apart from Koni Bigbore adjustable shockers.
    I don’t know much about the debate between Foam & Gas, I know foam has more oil so technically it should stay cooler for longer. I recon I’m going with ARB’s Old Man Emu for my Paj.

Word of advice – replace all 4 shockers together.

Comment

• mrbitchi
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2007
      • Brisbane

The NH goes well with Old Man Emu Nitrochargers.
      Cheers, John.
      LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
      Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• breno86
        • Mar 2009
        • port hedland WA

im in the same boat, ive been trying to chase feed back on rancho's, my brother and mate have them fitted and they love em. but they dont exactly go off road at all.

i think they are around 200 a pop form 4wd1.com.au

does any1 know is that a middle of the road price compared to ome ?
        '93 nh pajero, 32" goodyear wranglers, 3 inch nissan springs, heavy duty torsion bars, gq springs with hilux shocks in the arse end. torsion bars wound, but it still looks like a bloody wedge!, roof racks with light force 240 up front, 170 up top either side of bull light.

Comment

• chippy4x4
          • Apr 2009
          • adelaide

give this guy a try

Comment

• allanmac
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2007
            • Eastern Suburbs Vic

What type of shockers is no different to the 'tyre' debate, as people have varying opinions... Some will say a certain brand are great, others say they are a piece of crap...

I run the OME's & have not had any problems at all. A few of the guys I go out with also have them, & like me, have never had any problems. By the same token, a few others have EFS, Tough Dog, Ranchos & have had issues. Maybe it is just plain bad luck, who knows...

All depends on how many $$$$ you want to spend, type of 4wding you plan to do etc etc but from what I have read on various forums, the OME's dont get alot of bad reports & are reasonably priced.

Good luck...
            NL Pajero,F&R airlockers, reduction gears, Ironman susp, ARB bullbar, Tigerz winch, Uniden UHF, roolite driving lights, Mickey Thompson ATZ 4 rib &, BFG KM2' tyres

MUD SUCKS.

Comment

• Gasolinejunkie
              • Sep 2009
              • Melbourne

Originally posted by allanmac View Post
              What type of shockers is no different to the 'tyre' debate, as people have varying opinions... Some will say a certain brand are great, others say they are a piece of crap..
              Besides the brand debate, whats your take on Gas charged VS Foam Cell?
              One of my Tafe instructors who owned a Peddars workshop said the quality of the shocker is more important the foam or gas filling.

Comment

• howesey
                • Jul 2007

EFS are good value for money quality. The elite are good. They are actually a years old suspension company (Carroll Springs been around about 50 yrs.) that started making 4WD gear under the EFS name. I'm pretty happy.

Comment

• steve3500
                  • Aug 2008
                  • Melton

I just got some Gabriel Blue Ryder shocks today from Supercheap Auto!! Can anyone give any feedback on these??
                  Steve
                  There's Gold in them there hills

Comment

• kiwijero
                    • Apr 2009

I originally had factory adjustable shocks, but one of the rear shocks started to leak, so about 8 months ago I replaced these front and back with Gabriel Blue Ryders.

One of the front shocks seized at 6 months (and was replaced under warranty)

Over all I think they are harder than the factory shocks, probably too hard for what I want, and the tracks here, so will look to replace sometime this year.
                    Last edited by kiwijero; 04-01-10, 05:33 AM.
                    1994 NJ SWB Trayback, 3.5L V6, 5sp manual, 3.15 low speed gears. 4.9 diffs,
                    Factory rear locker, ARB Front Locker, 35" Creepy Crawlers, 2" body lift,
                    2" suspension lift, Safari snorkel, Warn 8274

Comment

• Dunk
                      • Jan 2008
                      • melbourne

l m using KYB they seem to be a good shocker no probs so far!! not to expensive neither

Comment

• Cee
                        • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Dunk View Post
                        l m using KYB they seem to be a good shocker no probs so far!! not to expensive neither
                        Funny you say that, we finally took the old ones out (Maxi Trac's) and settled for the KYB's purely coz they will replace them up to 2 years if you're not happy with them and because of lack of coin at the moment.
                        But they didn't go near what we took out. They were much thinner and shorter and wouldn't work properly, as I'm pretty sure there's been a lift of some sort pre us owning the vehicle. So it looks like the Maxi Trac's were maybe off road ones?? The KYB's will now go back, and we're back at square 1.

We don't really want to spend any more than $300 - $350 on replacing the rear pair. Idea's around this price range?

Comment

I have the tough dog 41mm foam shocks all round, 40mm lift TD HD coils and wound up front torsion bars......Has worked very well in all situations, off road.....on road....towing the CT ect ect....would I buy them again? Yes I would

bout $290-$330 for the rear depending on where you buy them

Comment

• Matatak
                            Valued Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • Perth

Originally posted by Cee View Post
                            We don't really want to spend any more than $300 - $350 on replacing the rear pair. Idea's around this price range?
                            Should get some easy for that price.
                            I think i paid $260 for my tough dog 41mm foam cells. front and rear pair were same price.
                            05 NP DiD Auto. 265/75R16, OME Suspension, ARB Dlx B/Bar, Warn Zeon 10-S, IPF HID's, Rear Drawer Setup, Pioneer Platform Rack, ARB 78l Fridge, GME TX3520SW UHF.

Comment

• kunsan
                              • Dec 2009
                              • NSW Mid North Coast

Oztecs from Wilkinsons suspension WA are $135 each + $50 delivery to your door, and are the only shock in Australia with a lifetime warrenty.

More travel than the Rancho, cheaper and better warrenty..
                              2001 NM V6 Auto

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X