Clear All
  • Rich
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Canberra

Rear recovery Points on tow bar

Hi
    I have a Mitsubishi tow bar.

It appears to have two recovery points on it.

Can you use these for recovery (as the recoverer or being recovered)?

Rich
  • pjchris
    • Jun 2007

If you mean the bent bits of metal bolted on to either end of the towbar near the tail lights then no, don't use them.

If you are talking about the safety chain attachment point either side of the hitch receiver, then no, I wouldn't use them either.

When Mitsubishi tested snatching with the NP to discount rumours of bent chassis etc, they snatched from the rear using a hitch receiver without the towball and passed the shackle bolt through the hole in the tongue. You can also insert the end of the snatch strap into the receiver and pass the hitch pin through it (This can lead to the pin bending in extreme circumstances, particularly if the pin is a low quality pin).

Peter
    2012 NW Platinum DiD, 2" Lift, Bar & Winch, Driving Lights, Dual Battery, Snorkel.

Soon to be Ex- 2002 NM Exceed 3.2DiD, Lifted, PSI Powerbox, Bullbar, HID Driving Lights.

Comment

• Rich
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2007
      • Canberra

pjchris,
      The bits on the towbar do look like recovery point and appear to be welded on.

I will put up some pics if I can.

The option you mention re what you should do is probably the way to go but am just checking as would be easier to use (ie as want have to pull the hitch off)

Rich

Comment

• Walker
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2007

I would not use anything except the tow hitch for rear recovery.

I have one of these hooks which is handy and makes rear recovery easy, just fits into the tow hitch. (ususally me pulling someone else out. )

thanks,

Adam

2010 Prado ZR 150 SWB
        1987 Range Rover Ute

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. - Homer Simpson

Comment

• mrbitchi
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2007
          • Brisbane

My old NH had big solid welded on loops like you mention that looked like they'd be good recovery points but they're not a rated loop. Personally I allways use the hitch reciever as the attachment point.
          Cheers, John.
          LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
          Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X