• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Powie1
    • Aug 2007

oil leak

Hi Guys

I'd appreciate some advice on what is the most likely cause of an oil leak I've got on a 3.5L NM.

After spotting some oil beading down the oil cooler return/feed hoses I thought the oil filter hadn't been done up tight enough from a recent service. Oil filter tightened and oil leak still there (did some big km's last week and lost over a 1 litre of oil).

Had a closer look today and the leak is coming from above the filter.

My question is would it be coming from the oil cooler return/feed hoses (I'm not sure if this would have been removed at the recent service for doing the timing belt) or from the oil pressure switch?

Thanks

Powie
  • dolphin
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2008

this oil leak could be coming from anywhere, what you need to do is by a pressure pack can of engine degreaser [ $3 supercheap ] use the whole can and spray around both sides of the engine right up to the top side of the engine covers, keep clear of any electrical componants such as leads / plugs / alternator / coils etc . leave this degreaser sit for about 5 minutes and then carefully again spray off with good water pressure. when all is dry you now have a clean engine so you will find where the oil leak is coming from if you look closely.
    NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

• Jungle
      • Jul 2009

Oil leak

I have a similar problem and its coming from the oil pressure sensor under the turbo , however try as I may I cannot remove the sensor with removing the turbo and exhaust manifold which is a rather big job. So I put some stop leak in the oil while I think about it.
      regards Jim

Comment

• mrbitchi
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2007
        • Brisbane

My guess would be the front camshaft oil seals. They go hard over time.
        Cheers, John.
        LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
        Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• Pauly Faulkner
          Valued Member
          • Feb 2012
          • Maitland, NSW

+1 to degreaser.
          Spray the area liberally and run some water over it, do it twice if you have to.
          Also get a rag and rub solid grease/oil stains off to help find the leak.
          Do a few small trips and re-check.
          Another trick is cover the area in talc powder after it's been cleaned and dried or add Tracer products UV oil dye to the engine oil($25 and is safe to stay in engine permanently) this can help considerably for troublesome leaks.
          97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel
          97' NL GLS LWB Auto | 6G75 3.8ltr | Redback Headers

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X