X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lloyd
    • Jan 2013
    • Perth

ha, I thought exactly the same thing, how do I describe this to the dealership, should I use words or sound effects...
    2010 NT White | OL Black Bullbar | GME UHF Aerial | Oricom UHF380 | 2" Lift EFS / OME Springs | Rear Suspension Airbags | Pioneer Platform | Bridgestone Dueler ATs | Redarc Tow Pro | Ark Pack | Tred Recovery Tracks | Safari Snorkel | 3" Exhaust & Roo Systems ECU Remap | Custom Rear Storage | Waeco Fridge Slide | Evacool 60l Fridge/Freezer | Alpine INE-960A Head Unit | Optima D34 - Redarc BCDC1240 - Redarc SBI12 | Harrops Rear E Locker

Comment

• Seigried
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2016
      • brisbane

I had this problem in my NS too. I first did the wd40 spray which helped for about 2 weeks then it was back.
      So I bought some rubber safe lithium grease and removed the trim under the steering wheel. I used my small trim persuader to remove he clips. The cover was very dirty!

On the fire wall is a rubber boot/seal and bearing which the steering column runs through. The brown area on the steering shaft was where there was still old grease (see photo).

I was able to push the boot down into the firewall to expose more of the column, this part of the shaft was dry and felt rough. I wiped this area clean with a rag and re-grease the steering column. it was a messy job, especially then your at an awkward angle in your driveway!
      Attached Files

Comment

• dundee10
        • Aug 2011
        • Secret Harbour, WA

Told the stealership about this noise and they said it was my CB antenna cable going across the steering column causing the noise, eh don't think so as I installed it my self an is no where near it, done the recall for the indicator but its still there. will try your solutions.
        Pajero NT Active DiD, MMC Stainless Steel Bull Bar, 9.500lb Winch, Overlander Roof Rack, Hella 4000 Spotlights, Uniden UH7760NB Radio.

Comment

• albie
          • Aug 2011
          • sydney

Thanks for the photo's Seigried. I will get on to mine this weekend as its be driving me crazy.

Comment

• Garc
            • May 2015
            • Perth

Exactly the same as Siegfried a couple of weeks ago, I thought the steering rack had broken! I just dropped the under dash cover (didn't remove it) cleaned up the shaft and put rubber grease on. All fixed. My retaining clips are useless now so my cover piece is now held on by cable ties.
            Gary

2008 NS DiD Exceed. MM factory alloy full bar, Autosafe cargo barrier, Roley's rear bash plate, Uniden 8080 UHF, Kings 120A lithium battery in rear cargo area, Renogy DCDC charger, fire ext mounted in place of rear door handle, Redarc EBC, BushSkinz IC & sump. ARB Frontier replacement fuel tank, Pedders track rider suspension. Lockup Mate.

Comment

• Aspey
              • Dec 2015
              • Great Southern Land

Originally posted by Seigried View Post
              I had this problem in my NS too. I first did the wd40 spray which helped for about 2 weeks then it was back.
              So I bought some rubber safe lithium grease and removed the trim under the steering wheel. I used my small trim persuader to remove he clips. The cover was very dirty!

On the fire wall is a rubber boot/seal and bearing which the steering column runs through. The brown area on the steering shaft was where there was still old grease (see photo).

I was able to push the boot down into the firewall to expose more of the column, this part of the shaft was dry and felt rough. I wiped this area clean with a rag and re-grease the steering column. it was a messy job, especially then your at an awkward angle in your driveway!
              Hi Seigried, Just wondering where you got your trim tool from? I've seen some around but they looked too chunky.
              These look similar to yours, http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/7pcs-Car-...MAAOSwbYZXY5uD

My steering wheel feels like it's rubbing, usually when turning or reversing to the right. Will try this fix.
              NP VRX DID

Comment

• Seigried
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2016
                • brisbane

Hi Aspey. Same set thought mine was made by Kingchrome.

Comment

• Tjwhite
                  • Mar 2014
                  • Sydney

Hi.
                  Thanks to the previous posts, for such a loud and concerning-sounding problem (mine sounded as if something major was wrong with the steering) this has to be about the easiest fix imaginable.
                  For me it was literally:
                  - remove one trim stud (the single large one at the bottom, it's turn-type so can easily remove with fingers).
                  - work finger behind trim to locate the boot (flex boot with finger, finger gets dirty from shaft which confirms where grease goes).
                  - put grease on finger, apply to shaft under end of boot.
                  - replace trim stud.
                  Done. 2 minutes tops.

Comment

• aussieintas
                    Valued Member
                    • Feb 2013
                    • Sorell, Tasmania

Again thanks to previous posters.......i had the moaning sound ans used rubber grease in syringe.....easy as and all quiet now.

Cheers.
                    2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
                    88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
                    92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
                    92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
                    99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
                    95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
                    08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• NJV6
                      Valued Member
                      • Sep 2010
                      • New Zealand

Has anyone had the steering wheel off an NT? I am positive my clicking/groaning is coming from just behind the wheel. I have greased the boot mentioned in this thread.
                      1994 NJ SWB, 3.5 Manual, 285/75/16 Deegan 38s MT, 25mm body lift, Twin ARB air lockers, XD9000 winch, custom bar.
                      1991 NH LWB, 3.9 V8, trayback, solid front axle, Toyota hi mount winch
                      2011 NT GLX DiD, 3.2 Manual, 285/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, SPV EGR, Lovells SD rear, HD front, Bilsteins, Custom underbody protection, Safari Snorkel, JTig intercooler and loads of zip ties in the dash...

Comment

• Tjwhite
                        • Mar 2014
                        • Sydney

A long shot but sometime ago my steering was knocking, couldn't work out what it was, only seemed to do it when adjusted to top of height range. Adjusting it down a bit stopped it.

Comment

• Rowey
                          • Feb 2016
                          • North Queensland

Thanks for the pictures and explaining things. Will give it a go.

Comment

• DGM
                            • Oct 2007
                            • SE Melb

Thanks Seigfried. Photos and fix worked a treat.
                            Duncan
                            ------------------------------------------------------
                            MY21 NX GLS not much done to it yet, catch can, uhf

2007 NS VRX 3.2 Diesel Auto, ARB Bar, Warn winch, IPFs, Dual Bat, GME TX3440 UHF, Custom rear storage, BFGs, Suspension upgrade

Comment

• Alyosius
                              • Nov 2016
                              • NSW

Originally posted by NJV6 View Post
                              Has anyone had the steering wheel off an NT? I am positive my clicking/groaning is coming from just behind the wheel. I have greased the boot mentioned in this thread.
                              Just a thought, we had our mechanic (not dealer) look into the moaning our steering wheel was making when it went in for a normal service, he said it seemed to be coming from the clock spring (didn't replace it at the time since he deemed it 'not essential')
                              2010 GLX NT
                              Installed: Carjoying Headunit, Hayman Reese electric brake controllers, awning, dual battery, Bushskinz guards
                              Awaiting installation: Rear camera, USB power outlets
                              Planned:

Comment

• Seigried
                                Valued Member
                                • Apr 2016
                                • brisbane

My NS also started rubbing at the steering wheel after the airbag recall was done. I did see a post on how to fix that on either this forum or the south African one. Its a very different sound compared to the one fixed by greasing the firewall.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X