• nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

Serendipity?

Originally posted by Google
    Serendipity
    noun
    the occurrence and development of events by chance in a happy or beneficial way.
    On my way home today, my low fuel light came on. Nothing unusual about that, the gauge was indicating low, so I hit the switch to begin the fuel transfer from my aux tank.

Some time later, I realised the low fuel light was still on - it seemed the transfer pump wasn't working. So I pulled over to check - yep, it wasn't working. Something to look at when I get home.

At home, I started by sliding under the Paj on my garage creeper - I can just make it under the fuel tank. Found the pump - looked OK. Wiring looked OK, so I decided to trace it, partly to find out where it goes, partly to look for damage.

It disappeared out of sight above the tank, so I pushed myself along to try looking from a different angle - and something squeaked.

It didn't take me long to realise that whatever squeaked must've been loose - and I should probably try to figure out what was loose.

It was only my fuel tank. The factory one, not the aftermarket one.

One nut was tight.

Two were loose - to be fair, it was difficult to spot that they were loose, so I'll forgive the mechanic who conducted a pre-trip inspection last week.

I'm not sure what to say about the fourth nut, given that it wasn't there. Wherever it is, I hope it's not working too hard.

After a typical series of trials & tribulations (I'm currently barely on speaking terms with my right shoulder) I now have, once again, four tight nuts holding in my fuel tank. How long I'll have four I'm not sure, as one of the studs isn't quite what it once was. I'll have to keep an eye on that... At least I know the tank will hold for a while with only three.

So, once that issue was addressed, I thought it was time to tackle the faulty fuel pump - and it's working fine.

Why did it fail? NFI.

What if it hadn't failed? If I hadn't been climbing around under the Paj while the tank was empty, I may not have noticed the loose tank. If the tank had contained another 70 - 80 litres of diesel, it may not have moved as I pushed against it, and therefore squeaked. How many more kilometres would it have lasted before a real problem developed?

Serendipity. I guess that sometimes I just get lucky.

Now if only I could do that with a woman.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
  • twisted32
    • Jan 2015
    • Adelaide

That nut is probably looking for its mate from the swaybar end link....
    MY14 GLX Pajero DID auto with Lift, 265/70 R17 Yoki X-AT's, Full Bushskinz plates , Scotts Rods 3" TBE, Johnny Tig FMIC, TME ECU remap, Provent, OL Bullbar, Ironman 9500lbs winch, dual batteries, Lockup mate lite, nomad valve body, aeroflow AF72-6000 transmission cooler with 9" fan and radiator cooler bypass, 3.15 reduction gears, traction contol mod (on/off), Uniden 8080S, flappy paddles, Rhino flat rack mounted on ARB rails, 42" Stedi ST3K light bar and custom drawers

Comment

• GHendo
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2012
      • Northern NSW

Gee, that would have been interesting – driving along and had your fuel tank drop off !! I’ve seen exhausts fall off cars but never fuel tanks. It would have been fun for whoever was following you too.

When things like this happen, you sometimes wonder if someone is looking after you at that moment – or just plain old good luck.

Cheers

Geoff
      03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• NFT5
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2011
        • Canberra

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
        I'm not sure what to say about the fourth nut, given that it wasn't there. Wherever it is, I hope it's not working too hard.
        10mm? I'd be looking in my toolbox to see if the matching socket hasn't eloped with it.

Lucky.
        Chris

Comment

• nj swb
          Resident
          • Jun 2007
          • Adelaide

Update:

Next tank, the pump wouldn't run again. This time, I had an opportunity to trouble-shoot, and identify that the pump wasn't running - it had power, was getting warm, but wouldn't pump.

So I ordered a replacement from the tank manufacturer, which took a couple of days to arrive, and this afternoon I wrestled it into place.

All good now.
          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• ticky
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2015
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by twisted32 View Post
            That nut is probably looking for its mate from the swaybar end link....
            2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• starjunk
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2011
              • Sydney

A very entertaining read.
              '92 NH GLS LWB 3.0V6 A/T ...sold Please DON'T consider
              '06 NP VR-X LWB Turbo Diesel Sports A/T..sold Please consider
              '96 NJ GLX LWB Turbo Diesel M/T..sold . Loved that car
              '08 NS GLX LWB Turbo Diesel M/T...daily driver. Wake up and Drive!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X