• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fysp8909
    • Mar 2016
    • sydney

Need Help and Suggestions For Winter Drive

Hi everyone,

I'm planning driving to Jindabyne in July and stay for about 5 days. I learnt that the diesel will become gel in snow area by internet and need to change normal diesel to alpine diesel.

I wonder after add alpine diesel, do I need to add anti-gel diesel treatment?
    And which brand of alpine diesel will you prefer?
    Any suggestions will be great help
    My16 Pajero GLS with ARB Bull Bar, Kings 9" Spot lights
  • psproule
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007
    • Googong, NSW

Originally posted by fysp8909 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm planning driving to Jindabyne in July and stay for about 5 days. I learnt that the diesel will become gel in snow area by internet and need to change normal diesel to alpine diesel.

I wonder after add alpine diesel, do I need to add anti-gel diesel treatment?
    And which brand of alpine diesel will you prefer?
    Any suggestions will be great help
    I dont live all that far from the snowfields and I wouldn't actually worry about it. Worst case top up the tanks at Cooma on the way through but I think you will find that you wont have any issues at all.

Pat
    2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
    2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

• fysp8909
      • Mar 2016
      • sydney

Originally posted by psproule View Post
      I dont live all that far from the snowfields and I wouldn't actually worry about it. Worst case top up the tanks at Cooma on the way through but I think you will find that you wont have any issues at all.

Pat
      Thank you for the information, it make me feel better.
      This will be my first time driving my Pajero to snowfield.
      I may worry too much about it.

Comment

• Mundy55
        Valued Member
        • Nov 2015
        • Gold Coast

It was my vague understanding that there are 3 types of diesel: summer, winter and alpine. Is anyone aware if its true?

One thing that make me think it might be is that I find in winter in Sydney, the diesel foams badly as I refuel compared to in warmer months (same BP petrol station). This means it takes longer to fill as the fuel filler keeps shutting off if I fill too fast. Has anyone else noticed this?

Comment

• pauld
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2010
          • Melbourne

I had a problem 2 years ago in my NP, car was hardly driven for a few days & temp was around -5 to +2. My entry point to the mountains didn't have alpine diesel, I did sane trip last year and used an additive in my NX without problem.
          2015 NX, ARB Bullbar, Bilstein / Lovells HD Front and Kings SP Rear, Polyairs, 17" NP Exceed wheels, D697 LT265/65/17, STEDI Cree 24" 120Watt light bar, Tracklander 2100 Roof Cage, Bushskinz side steps and bash plates, 200AH of Batts under rear floor via Redarc 40 Amp, cargo barrier with custom rear shelf up high, TC mod, EGR mod, catch can, iPhone4 with OBD app, USB ports in all 3 rows, custom storage in rear passenger guard.

Comment

• fysp8909
            • Mar 2016
            • sydney

Originally posted by Mundy55 View Post
            It was my vague understanding that there are 3 types of diesel: summer, winter and alpine. Is anyone aware if its true?

One thing that make me think it might be is that I find in winter in Sydney, the diesel foams badly as I refuel compared to in warmer months (same BP petrol station). This means it takes longer to fill as the fuel filler keeps shutting off if I fill too fast. Has anyone else noticed this?
            By my own research there is a PDF online from bp said there are three levels of diesel.
            But I think in Sydney, it is still using the normal diesel. And in the bp station I always go, the diesel is still fill smoothly.
            I didn't meet the issue that you have. But I found that the fuel filler will keep shutting off because the diesel bubbles when you fill too fast.

Comment

• fysp8909
              • Mar 2016
              • sydney

Originally posted by pauld View Post
              I had a problem 2 years ago in my NP, car was hardly driven for a few days & temp was around -5 to +2. My entry point to the mountains didn't have alpine diesel, I did sane trip last year and used an additive in my NX without problem.
              Thank you for the information. I will try to fill the alpine diesel before I reach Jindabyne.
              Could you please tell me the brand of the additive you used?
              I only find one anti-gel additive in supercheap and not sure if it is good enough.

Comment

• Axis
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2011
                • Highett Vic

Originally posted by fysp8909 View Post
                Thank you for the information. I will try to fill the alpine diesel before I reach Jindabyne.
                Could you please tell me the brand of the additive you used?
                I only find one anti-gel additive in supercheap and not sure if it is good enough.
                I used the supercheap diesel additive (Lucas) for a trip to Mt Buller (3 nights parked on mountain) previously and it was all OK - used correct ratios with fill in Melbourne.
                07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates

Comment

• fysp8909
                  • Mar 2016
                  • sydney

Originally posted by Axis View Post
                  I used the supercheap diesel additive (Lucas) for a trip to Mt Buller (3 nights parked on mountain) previously and it was all OK - used correct ratios with fill in Melbourne.
                  That's great! I'm going to order it online. It looks like only way to get it is online order.
                  I try to find it in supercheap and autobarn today. But none have it instore.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X