• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • damo03
    • Dec 2012
    • Newcastle NSW &Melbourne VIC

removing seats with side air bags

Hi All,

I'll be changing over the factory cloth seats in my Platinum to leather ones in the hope that the extra lumber adjustment makes them more comfortable on long trips.

Does anyone know whether you need to disconnect the battery to change the seat wiring over and if you do, are there issues with dash (airbag) warning lights when you reconnect?

Cheers.
    2012 NW with some fruit
  • erad
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2015
    • Cooma NSW

I have not done this job, but I would disconnect the battery, leave it for 30 minutes, with the headlights and ignition on to drain any residual charge. Then, disconnect the plugs under the seat and remove. Ensure that the steering wheel is straight ahead.

When fitting the new seats, connect everything up first, turn off the headlights and ignition, then reconnect the battery. By doing it in this sequence, you should not get any fault codes, but other features such as the transmission and engine functions will have to re-learn after the battery disconnect.

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

Ensure the steering wheel is straight ahead before disconnecting the power, then follow Erad's process. It should only take 3 to 5 minutes for any residual voltage to be disappated. If you have ans auxiliary battery, this will also need to be disconnected.

OJ.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• geopaj
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2007
        • Adelaide

Just to confirm, yes, you do need to disconnect the battery (or batteries) before unplugging airbags - whether seat, steering wheel , etc.

This is to both avoid inadvertently triggering the airbag and to avoid triggering the airbag error/fault light (which can only be cancelled with a MUTT so is usually a trip to Mitsubishi).
        Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• Glenn.c
          • Jun 2016
          • Sydney

I’ve replaced my NW seats (with side air bags) with Recaro seats (also with side air bags).
          I did not disconnect the battery.
          The one thing to remember is: don’t start the car until you have fitted the new seats and connected the air bag harness to both seats. If you do, the computer registers that there is a fault (open circuit) and the air bag warning light will come on and stay on. To rectify this needs an OBDII device capable of clearing this code. Don’t ask me how I know 🙂

Comment

• HarryStottle
            • Dec 2011
            • Yalata SA

Hi Glen, if you have time and inclination, I'd be interested in knowing the details of the Recaros. Cost, supplier, what model of the seats you chose and why, your thoughts on the difference, you know, all about them.
            2012 NW Activ auto 3.2 Diesel, ARB Steel Bullbar, 50mm Raised OME, Polyairs, LED Spots, Light Bar, Warn winch, GME UHF, Baroud Tent, ARB Side & Rear Awnings, Engel 40ltr Fridge, drawers, dual battery, ARB Dual Compressor, Ultragauge, Munji ERG Delete Module, MM LockUp Mate.

Comment

• PhilipK5
              • Feb 2019
              • Geelong

I also changed to Recaro seats with side airbags. Made the mistake of moving the car with the passenger seat removed. Came up with a dash warning light. Needed to go to an auto electrician after fitting the seat to have the fault code removed. Otherwise all OK
              2014 NW White Manual, Recaro seats, Bilstein shocks and Lovells HD springs, Polyair Ultimate Airbags, Bull Bar, Bashplates, Winch, Dual Batteries, 45 litre fridge on custom slide, Cargo Barrier, 9" LED driving lights, Snorkel, UHF, idoing head unit, upgraded speakers, dynamat sound deadening, Vlad's Traction Control Mod, Toyo OPAT2 on 17" Steel Rims.

Comment

• PhilipK5
                • Feb 2019
                • Geelong

Hi Harry, I purchased the Recaro Ergomed seats about 6 years ago. Initially had them installed in my Suzuki Grand Vitara as the Suzuki seats are not the greatest. When I purchased the Pajero I moved them across. I purchased from idealseat.com.au in Moorabbin Vic who also initially fitted them to the Suzuki. When I moved them to the Pajero I needed to buy bases to fit again not cheap. The prices I paid are now out of date so no point putting them up here but needless to say they are expensive, but I feel worth every cent, particularly on long trips. For short trips they don't feel particularly comfortable as they are quite firm. Mine are basic cloth covered. But you know the difference when you get out of the car after an 8 hour run and still feel good.
                Because the ones I purchased have side airbags they could be moved from my Suzuki to the Pajero and once it has been moved on they will be moved to my next car. They have worn very well in the time I have had them and have multiple electric adjustments in the back rest and base tilt. Slide and back angle on mine is manual adjustment. They fit well in the Pajero.
                2014 NW White Manual, Recaro seats, Bilstein shocks and Lovells HD springs, Polyair Ultimate Airbags, Bull Bar, Bashplates, Winch, Dual Batteries, 45 litre fridge on custom slide, Cargo Barrier, 9" LED driving lights, Snorkel, UHF, idoing head unit, upgraded speakers, dynamat sound deadening, Vlad's Traction Control Mod, Toyo OPAT2 on 17" Steel Rims.

Comment

• HarryStottle
                  • Dec 2011
                  • Yalata SA

Thanks Phillip for that detailed and informative description, appreciated.
                  2012 NW Activ auto 3.2 Diesel, ARB Steel Bullbar, 50mm Raised OME, Polyairs, LED Spots, Light Bar, Warn winch, GME UHF, Baroud Tent, ARB Side & Rear Awnings, Engel 40ltr Fridge, drawers, dual battery, ARB Dual Compressor, Ultragauge, Munji ERG Delete Module, MM LockUp Mate.

Comment

• Glenn.c
                    • Jun 2016
                    • Sydney

Originally posted by HarryStottle View Post
                    Hi Glen, if you have time and inclination, I'd be interested in knowing the details of the Recaros. Cost, supplier, what model of the seats you chose and why, your thoughts on the difference, you know, all about them.
                    Hi Harry,

Sorry for the delayed reply. I haven't been online for a while.

The purchase of the Recaros is a real saga that I wouldn't like to repeat. I couldn't find a local supplier with stock for love door money! In desperation I ended up buying them on eBay from some guy in Germany. They arrived damaged and I had all sorts of issues getting the seller to make good. They were advertised as new but were clearly ex-display plus the minor transit damage so I ended up getting a partial refund.

In the end I managed to repair them, get locally supplied slides and fabricated the mounts OK. They are the Ergomed ES SAB models and are great seats.

This was a few years ago now and I ended up paying about $4k all up.

Glenn

Comment

• HarryStottle
                      • Dec 2011
                      • Yalata SA

Thanks Glenn, wow sounds a drama. I would want a lot of comfort for $4k though.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X