• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richo72
    • Jul 2009
    • Perth western Australia

Hot floor well

Evening all. I seem to have a problem with the floor well on the passenger side getting really warm. It made my allens snakes melt together. Not a good thing when i loooove snakes. 😆
    Any idea why this would be. Broken heat gauards on the exhaust maybe?
  • bambam351
    • Mar 2013
    • albany,wa

Not sure if yours pet or diesel / man or auto but I think the torque converter has a lot to do with it on mine (DiD auto).
    Trans tunnel up near firewall area used to get bloody hot - fitted the converter lockup kit (not for that reason) and have never experienced it as bad since!!!!
    An unlocked converter on the highway in hilly terrain equals heat and plenty of it. After hours of highway running everything gets heat soaked - enough to 'burn' bare feet on the carpet and melt lollies
    My two bobs worth....

Comment

• Shopping Trolley
      Valued Member
      • Nov 2013
      • Brisbane

If I drive without shoes, I can feel with my left foot the heat coming from the transmission if the torque converter is slipping a lot. Definitely enough to feel uncomfortable so I assume enough to melt snakes.

Easy solution is to drive in manual mode to select the right gear to make the torque converter lock up.
      2003 NP DiD Auto: 265/75R16 Yokohama Geolander G015 A/T, dual batteries, Kings Springs and Monroe Shocks, to do list that is more expensive than the truck

Comment

• GOSSAMER
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2008
        • doncaster east vic

I had an NS petrol and the floor would get that hot you could hardly put your bare feet on it. My solution was a heat barrier underlay under the carpet and i put exhaust wrap along both exhausts.
        Back from the Dark side
        NT VRX, Ironbark, Dobinson suspension, Kanati muddies 275 65 18, Boo's bash plates (now with dents )

Comment

• gaz1
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2007
          • Blue Mountains NSW

the passenger footwell is not far from where the catalytic converter is mounted (at least on petrol models) and the converter is a great heat source. A very hot floor is not unusual, particularly when the day is hot, mid-30s+. A layer of insulation sounds like a good idea - towing our van yesterday down the Hume near Canberra in mid-30s my wife was complaining about the hot floor.
          2010 MY 2011 VR-X V6. Stock standard.

Previously 02 NM auto V6 Exceed silver. Extra transmission cooler & transmission temp gauge, activated rear lights, Impco sequential LPG system, Redback (Wildcat) Headers, heavy duty radiator. Lovells shocks F & R, Polyair bags in rear.

My original Pajero experience - '90 NG Superwagon, 3.0 V6 manual bought new and kept until 1998. Great vehicle, no problems apart from the noisy valve lifters typical of that engine.

Comment

• laidlaym
            • Feb 2008

Is this an auto only problem?

Mark in Research
            Mark in Research
            NM GLX Manual 4M41 with clean ashtray and 2 DIN ICE

Comment

• psproule
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2007
              • Googong, NSW

Originally posted by laidlaym View Post
              Is this an auto only problem?

Mark in Research
              Nope. Had an NM 3.5 manual and the floor got hot above the Cat. In the NP 3.2 manual the floor gets hot on both sides - Above the Cat on the passengers and above the fuel tank on the drivers. The tank gets hot as excess fuel from the pump is heated and circulated back to the tank.
              2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
              2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

• m1s3ry
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2007
                • Kalorama, VIC.

The floor in my NP definately gets hot too, but i think we all have this problem due to the lack of air flow caused by our bash plates.
                Steele Perkins (#1263)
                NP Pajero with added goodness..

Comment

• GRMNP2004
                  • Jul 2012
                  • Brisbane

I haven't run my bash plates for a couple of years now and the floor still gets very hot.
                  The idea of some good quality heat shielding under the floor seems worth while.
                  Now just need to fix the 1500rpm miss it has developed.

Comment

• richo72
                    • Jul 2009
                    • Perth western Australia

Cheers guys very helpful. Its a v6 auto. Will try manual mode for a while then when the extractors are done will try wrapping the exhaust.
                    Thanks

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X