• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vicbitter
    • May 2016
    • Melbourne

Service costs

OK, got quoted $850 for a 60k service. (independent) what the hell, it's not a BMW!!
    This is the only time it was more expensive then the dealer quote ($800)
    Anyhow, with just over a years warranty left, decided it was time to get back to servicing the car myself.
  • Mundy55
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2015
    • Gold Coast

I gave dealer servicing away some time ago with 2years to go on warranty. Dealer quoted $850 for 75k service (basically just an oil and filter change) and then $1500 for the 90k service. In both cases I had the services done for a bit over half the cost by a good quality independent service business.

Comment

• DaKaptin
      • Mar 2012
      • Brisbane, Qld

My 60k is due soon too. Will post my experience here when i do. I had capped price servicing

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
      2017 NX Pajero Exceed with:TJM AIRTEK snorkel, HPD oil catch can, KAON i/c and sump bash plates, BushSkinz Elite transmission and transfer case plates, Boo's rear bumper plate. Stock NW 17" rims with Cooper ST MAXX @ 265/70r17

Wish list: smart Bar or ARB B/B with Carbon 12k winch, +50mm suspension, Eatons front e locker,

Gone: 2004 NP PAJERO EXCEED with 3.8L petrol and 290,000ks of memories

Comment

• farcanal
        • Mar 2010

Originally posted by DaKaptin View Post
        My 60k is due soon too. Will post my experience here when i do. I had capped price servicing

A friend of mine just paid the dealer about $770 for his 30k service.
        Just looking at the schedule, the main items are oil and filter, replace fuel filter , replace brake fluid and replace air purifier.
        The rest is simply check, check, check. I think they only "listen" to the tappets.
        I would put the oil and filter at about $150, maybe the other parts at less than $100.
        So, about $500 for no more than 2 hours labour. (I can change my oil and filter in less than half an hour without a hoist)
        If you want your wheels rotated it will cost extra.
        I'm not one to go dealer bashing, everyone is entitled to make a quid, but I'm sure they would increase their workshop revenue if they reduced their prices.

Comment

• Pushbike
          • Jun 2017
          • Sydney

Hi, Just had 2 yr service, 6000K on clock, still cost $770. At least they didn't try to "Value Add" to the service. That is ring you up all day wanting to replace brake linings ( because they are half worn) or windscreen wiper blades that you replaced 6 months ago ( or less).
          Why do most people go to their dealer for service - to ensure they are covered for warranty issues.
          I think warranties are costly to the consumer and a less costly form of quality control. If there were no warranties then the product and it's reputation would have to stand on it's own. The manufacturers would have to lift their game.

W.R.T. Mitsi Pajero what percentage of vehicles experience a warranty episode?

Some manufacturers that use warranties as quality control, Ozito and many Aldi products. Can you name others?.

Recently bought an Aldi coffee machine with a 3 year warranty (market warranty usually 1 yr) failed after 4 months, no problem obtaining a full refund only problem was having to pack and post(free) the item. Note always keep original packaging as they may refuse refund if item is damaged in transit.
          Does NASA rely on warranties?
          Pajero NX GLX MY17, OEM Rubber mats, OEM Towbar and tongue, After market Rev. Sensors, MSA4x4 seat covers, OEM nudge bar.

Remember the science demonstration of a table covered with mouse traps loaded with ping pong balls and the teacher drops a ping pong ball into the middle.
          Well, the ball has been dropped.

Comment

• Dicko1
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2014
            • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Pushbike View Post
            Hi, Just had 2 yr service, 6000K on clock, still cost $770. At least they didn't try to "Value Add" to the service. That is ring you up all day wanting to replace brake linings ( because they are half worn) or windscreen wiper blades that you replaced 6 months ago ( or less).
            Why do most people go to their dealer for service - to ensure they are covered for warranty issues.
            I think warranties are costly to the consumer and a less costly form of quality control. If there were no warranties then the product and it's reputation would have to stand on it's own. The manufacturers would have to lift their game.

Some manufacturers that use warranties as quality control, Ozito and many Aldi products. Can you name others?.

Recently bought an Aldi coffee machine with a 3 year warranty (market warranty usually 1 yr) failed after 4 months, no problem obtaining a full refund only problem was having to pack and post(free) the item. Note always keep original packaging as they may refuse refund if item is damaged in transit.
            Does NASA rely on warranties?

Why do most people go to their dealer for service - to ensure they are covered for warranty issues. Many people are very gullible when it comes to dealerships. They think just because a dealership says bring it back in for warranty purposes that its true. My Nw has not been back to a dealer and I am still covered by exactly the same warranty as someone who always uses a dealer for servicing. I for one dont trust them, hate their rip-off prices, wont pay for work not done and why would I leave my car at a dealer all day for a service that takes a little over an hour? Each to his own but I have an excellent independent who is thorough, trustworthy and well priced.
            Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
              Valued Member
              • Aug 2016
              • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by farcanal View Post
              A friend of mine just paid the dealer about $770 for his 30k service.
              Just looking at the schedule, the main items are oil and filter, replace fuel filter , replace brake fluid and replace air purifier.
              The rest is simply check, check, check. I think they only "listen" to the tappets.
              I would put the oil and filter at about $150, maybe the other parts at less than $100.
              So, about $500 for no more than 2 hours labour. (I can change my oil and filter in less than half an hour without a hoist)
              If you want your wheels rotated it will cost extra.
              I'm not one to go dealer bashing, everyone is entitled to make a quid, but I'm sure they would increase their workshop revenue if they reduced their prices.

The OEM oil filter is $50 only ever purchased one at that price. No idea how much the OEM fuel filter is never purchased one.

At 30,000,Ks why replace brake fluid? Again why would you replace the A/C filter at 30,000ks?

Our book for the 30,000 service says...Lubricate suspension arm, Steering linkage and propeller shaft U joints.

We only have one lubricating point and that is the cardan joint.

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                Valued Member
                • Aug 2016
                • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by Pushbike View Post

We only hear of the warranty from owners that belong to this site. We have NFI with other owners. I do know that our Pajero has had at least $6,000 of warranty work. Others here may have had the same.

The shaking dash the MM don't want to know about. The rust in the doors NS and NT pajeros.

The recalls for Air Bags and timing chain tensioner.

Check out the number of engine replacements with the Challengers that have been documented here. There would be many more that we don't know.

Comment

• DaKaptin
                  • Mar 2012
                  • Brisbane, Qld

I dont think ive ever paid over $500 for any of my services so far.

This will be my last capped price service i think. (60k).

I will likely sell the car in the next 6months or so anyway and get another NX new.

I have been getting it done by Mitsubishi mainly because we are travelling so much while working that its easier and more convenient for me to have Mitsi do it & for a variety of reasons. Some of which have nothing to do with the car lol.

If it was $800ish each time though i would have at least thought about going elsewhere!

2017 NX Pajero Exceed with:TJM AIRTEK snorkel, HPD oil catch can, KAON i/c and sump bash plates, BushSkinz Elite transmission and transfer case plates, Boo's rear bumper plate. Stock NW 17" rims with Cooper ST MAXX @ 265/70r17

Wish list: smart Bar or ARB B/B with Carbon 12k winch, +50mm suspension, Eatons front e locker,

Gone: 2004 NP PAJERO EXCEED with 3.8L petrol and 290,000ks of memories

Comment

• Vicbitter
                    • May 2016
                    • Melbourne

OK, so I'm going to service the pajero this weekend, and was going along the path of buying genuine parts (oil/fuel filter) from the dealer.
                    Good idea? Or should I look at other brands?

Comment

• farcanal
                      • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Vicbitter View Post
                      OK, so I'm going to service the pajero this weekend, and was going along the path of buying genuine parts (oil/fuel filter) from the dealer.
                      If your car is still in warranty I would get filters from the dealer....even though the law says they STILL have to honor the warranty even if you have non genuine parts. Probably not worth the hassle.
                      Out of warranty I would get the filters from Coventrys (in WA)
                      A fleetguard oil filter for my old NP cost me $22 and it came with a drain plug, making subsequent filter changes easier.
                      From memory the Fleetguard part number was LF3830

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
                        Valued Member
                        • May 2017
                        • Sydney

Originally posted by Vicbitter View Post
                        I would go with any major oil brand for engine oil, diffs, transfer case, coolant. Same goes for oil and fuel filters. Consider genuine ATF and air filter as I’ve heard reports of some air filters not sealing correctly. Some forum members happily use Penrite ATF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Vicbitter
                          • May 2016
                          • Melbourne

Thanks, I was looking at fleetguard for the oil filter, and I think I'll stick to genuine for the air filter.
                          I still have over a years warranty but screw the service costs and warranty. Ill be servicing it myself.

Comment

• Morten
                            • Jul 2018
                            • Aberdeen NSW

Our local mob of talented technicians stung me for $880 for a sixty thou service.....and then had the hide to ask if I wanted new wiper blades..at $89 for the set...asked if they came with a lacky sitting on the bonnet keeping the water off...also told me next time my brakes will need replacing...got some bad news for them....all work will be getting done by a bloke I know well from now on...works in my shed a lot..

Comment

• Stinky
                              • Jul 2007
                              • Gladstone, qld

Originally posted by Morten View Post
                              Our local mob of talented technicians stung me for $880 for a sixty thou service.....and then had the hide to ask if I wanted new wiper blades..at $89 for the set...asked if they came with a lacky sitting on the bonnet keeping the water off...also told me next time my brakes will need replacing...got some bad news for them....all work will be getting done by a bloke I know well from now on...works in my shed a lot..
                              Must be a standard thing for the 60 thou service. They told me that my rear brake pads were down to 3mm and wouldn't last til next service. I told them that I've never had a vehicle use up a set of rear pads before a set of front ones. I mentioned that the fronts do the majority of the work. He didn't have an answer. Tried the wiper blade thing but I declined. Then told me the fan belts were shot and needed doing. No thanks mate, I'll sort it. I put a set of Gates Greens Stripe belts on it. Guess what??????????? Absolutely nothing wrong with the old ones.
                              Cheers, Mike.
                              The story so far.....03 NP with fruit -Sold.
                              My15 NX. ARB Steel Bar. LED spots. Dobinson MRR lift. Outback Exhaust Fat Pipe. Intervolt DC Pro Dual Battery setup. Provent. SPi module. MM4X4 Lockup Mate, Paddle Mate & Paddle Shift. Mako 12,000 winch with Dyneema.

I'm the boss of my marriage.....my wife said i could say that!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X