• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Craig76
    • Jun 2018
    • South Australia

Head unit replacement

I have the 2010 NT 'ACTiV' and want to replace the MMCS head unit. Does anyone know if the Sony XAV-AX100 is a suitable replacement?

• paceman
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2018
    • Mackay

i have the exact same model of pajero, and would also be very interested to know...

things i would consider are whether there is a harness available for steering controls and if it connects to the existing rear camera...

i have had my eye on this model:

Last edited by paceman; 14-09-18, 02:47 PM.
    Paceman's NT Pajero

Comment

• aussieintas
      Valued Member
      • Feb 2013
      • Sorell, Tasmania

Cant talk about the headunit bud but Aerpro.com are a big company doing loads if wiring harnesses for radios to factory wiring. Check their website.
      2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
      88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
      92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
      92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
      99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
      95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
      08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• JohnGavin
        • Jan 2013
        • South Africa

Its quite simple to put in a new system.You will need a new facia plate for the new radios but they are available.
        So lets say you buy a sony as wanted above.A decent car sound shop should have what you need.Without having to cut anything you buy the Mitsubishi ISO cable with steering controls..The you buy the Sony ISO cable..All you do is connect the Mitsu iso to the vehilces plugs and the sony iso cable to the headunit then join the 2 ISO cables..I did it but with a kenwood unit

Comment

• Keithyv
          Valued Member
          • May 2018
          • Perth

What about the 'integration' between the stock base model stereo and the dot-matrix display?
          I realise it would not work with an aftermarket stereo but when you cycle through the multi-function menus, is there a gap where the radio display (AM/FM/CD etc.) information used to be or does it just skip those steps?
          2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
          MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• Craig76
            • Jun 2018
            • South Australia

Thanks - I have bought the Sony XAV-AX100 and fascia and harness so will see how it goes.

Comment

• Keithyv
              Valued Member
              • May 2018
              • Perth

Nice Craig, I'm sure you'll keep us posted on how it all turns out.
              MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• aussieintas
                Valued Member
                • Feb 2013
                • Sorell, Tasmania

The display above the radio will still work but when you cycle through to the radio secrion it will display "audio communication error" as it can not display the radio frequency etc. This happens when fitted an aftermarket stereo.

Loads of posts on this previously if you search. You can turn off the audio communcation error message by entering the settings. Link below to workshop manual on how to enter service mode. Very easy to do.

2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
                88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
                92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
                92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
                99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
                95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
                08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• tryhard
                  • Jun 2015
                  • Brisbane

Originally posted by Craig76 View Post
                  Thanks - I have bought the Sony XAV-AX100 and fascia and harness so will see how it goes.
                  Good choice of unit, it looked good when I saw it at Supercheap.

I ended up ordering online the Kenwood dmx718wbt, which the supplier said would fit the NT Pajero (I bought the Aerpro fascia too) but unfortunately when the installer arrived he said that particular Kenwood is a great fit for Toyotas and not much else - didn't fit at all.

I exchanged it for a JVC KW-M740BT which is on its way now. The installer said to get the wiring harness, but not to worry about the steering wheel control harness as he can hardwire that somehow. So I got the harness sent back this time, will see how it all goes. Am replacing the stock speakers with 4 x 6.5in Kenwood of ok quality, and aftermarket reverse cam to be added.

Will let you know if I learn anything else while screwing things up!
                  MY09 NT Pajero R SWB 3.2 TD recent purchase. Stock, with minor mods coming soon.

Comment

• Keithyv
                    Valued Member
                    • May 2018
                    • Perth

Originally posted by aussieintas View Post
                    The display above the radio will still work but when you cycle through to the radio secrion it will display "audio communication error" as it can not display the radio frequency etc. This happens when fitted an aftermarket stereo.

Loads of posts on this previously if you search. You can turn off the audio communcation error message by entering the settings. Link below to workshop manual on how to enter service mode. Very easy to do.

https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=48102
                    Aussieintas, fantastic link thank you.
                    Thanks to lordfarquar for the original info also.
                    This forum is truly amazing..

Comment

• Jorgo RX Pajero
                      • Feb 2017
                      • Perth WA

I replaced my head unit in my 2011 RX Series ( had the touch screen Sat Nav and was not a very good unit ) with a Kenwood DNX5170S with the Garmin Maps installed - great unit. I replaced the speakers with Alpine ZR Splits in the Front, Alpine ZR Two ways in the rear doors and a 10inch Bazzoka tube in the back run by a 4,3,2 Alpine amp - sounds pretty damn good. Dynamat lined the floor, inside of all the Doors and inside all the rear quarter panels, the result has been impressive. Takes time to do properly but worth it....

Comment

• Craig76
                        • Jun 2018
                        • South Australia

I now have the Sony XAV-AX100 installed and it is excellent. Fits really well with a fascia from eBay. Reverse camera is retained now with guidelines as well. Sound quality is improved even with the original speakers. Overall very happy so far. Have attached a photo...
                        Attached Files

Comment

• paceman
                          Valued Member
                          • Feb 2018
                          • Mackay

Originally posted by Craig76 View Post
                          I now have the Sony XAV-AX100 installed and it is excellent. Fits really well with a fascia from eBay. Reverse camera is retained now with guidelines as well. Sound quality is improved even with the original speakers. Overall very happy so far. Have attached a photo...

Can I ask how you retained the original reverse camera? Any plug mods?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Paceman's NT Pajero

Comment

• RAS
                            • Aug 2019
                            • Qld

Hi. I've come for a visit from the challenger forum.
                            I'm doing a head unit upgrade on a mates ns shorty. He has the factory reverse camera as well.
                            Craig76 if you still check the forums, I'm very keen to know how you retained the camera as well. Cheers

Comment

• Pablopicasso
                              • Oct 2014
                              • Rockhampton, Qld, Australia

Hi, I did mine today with heaps of help and bottom line you need space behind dash which the Paj aint got cause if you have the 12 spk Rockford means you need Mito02 and ApuniSw2. They are bulky. you need to run a new camera and a power wire to connect to reverse light for trigger. Other than that its pretty cruisy.
                              Pajero 04/2011 NT Platinum. Airtec Snorkel. ARB Sahara Bar. Rear diff lock. Pedders 25mm lift with rear Air Bags. SPVi EGR mod. IDrive.
                              K&N air filter. Spare Wheel Lift mod. Rhino roof racks.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X