• mktriton
    • Jun 2013
    • melbourne

Towing. Is this normal

Good afternoon.
    Have just returned from a weekend away. Kinglake to Horsham and return
    Car is new 2020 NX.
    Have fitted Auto mate Scangauge and catch can recently
    Caravan. Jayco off-road. Dual axle. Fully loaded around 2.2 t. Towball weight 240 kg

Friday car towed beautifully automate tended to keep car in 4th gear mostly. Cruised at 95 -100. Fuel consumption about 18-19 lt per 100.
    Very happy

Today returned. As far as I know I made no changes to automate
    Car would not cruise at 95. Struggled to get to speed. Gearbox constantly shifting between 3 & 4 Gear. Fuel con 23-24 lt per 100
    Eventually I shifted it into manual mode and it seemed to get better
    When I hit the big hill heading up to Kinglake I ended up having to shift back to 1st gear to continue momentum. We weren’t travelling at speed by than
    Car seemed to have trouble revving above 2000-2500 revs

When I got home. Disconnected van and took car for a drive
    It revved freely. Accelerated easily and would in both std mode and with automate

Sorry if this is getting a bit long but question time
    Does today’s towing seem normal and I am expecting too much
    Have I inadvertently changed the Automate setting
    Does the car change its acceleration profile when towing to protect the drivetrain

I will be giving my mech and mm auto mate a call regarding this but just wanted to see if these are common issues
    Thanks
  • 2bad4u
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2009
    • Perth, Western Australia

Basically - no it is not normal.

Eliminate simple things first like:
    *Were there strong head winds
    *Was the hand brake left on

Even then, these things would be obvious.
    Warren
    2012 NW DiD Activ - Retired
    2023 Nissan Y62 Patrol Ti

Comment

• mktriton
      • Jun 2013
      • melbourne

Wind was virtually nil for most of trip.
      Yep checked handbrake on car
      Checked brakes on van
      Checked handbrake on van
      Did a hand touch test. no wheel felt excessively warm let alone hot

My auto temps did not exceed 85 deg and my coolant temp sat around 86
      Auto mostly sat around 70- 75

Comment

• Ian H
        Valued Member
        • May 2015
        • Melbourne

Likewise, it's not normal.

I had a van about the same weight (2.2T) and would get around 15-16L/100klm regularly and often less, down to 13-14. But it would depend on head wind and terrain of course, those were on a mostly straight road.

First thing I'd suggest is to tow again on a flat road and leave Auto Mate off. Then check the fuel consumption which should be as above. Then turn AM back on again and do the same trip and compare the fuel. With AM on, you should be using less and it should be in 5th if it's a flat road. You will find AM does tend to hunt a lot between 4th and 5th if it's hilly so in those areas I shift to sport mode and leave it in 4th.
        2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• Keithyv
          Valued Member
          • May 2018
          • Perth

That consumption seems awfully heavy. Did you have the transmission temperature up on the scangauge at any time?
          Whoops edit sorry can’t read. Those temps do seem fine.
          2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
          MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• Phree_ed
            • Apr 2016
            • Moreton Bay area

Not normal from here either.

I just went through a spreadsheet I have for a 12,500km trip towing a 2550kg van.
            Using only the data where I did 98 to 100 percent towing stages between refills I averaged 18.45 lt/100. That was over 5711km at a reasonably steady 90kph.

Best consumption was an incredible 12.71 and the worst (into STRONG headwind) was 20.91.

I do not have an automate, I simply tow in sport mode 4th gear so I too would be trying a trip with the AM off and 4th gear.

Oh and constant 4WD as well as the card in the sun visor pocket advises.

Comment

• mktriton
              • Jun 2013
              • melbourne

Yes I had the transfer case in 4H

Comment

• nj swb
                Resident
                • Jun 2007
                • Adelaide

Strange. I can't see how it could be auto-mate, but that's a question for Marshall.

What about ambient temps? What was your weather like over the weekend (I was in the Flinders Ranges ).

Did you drive to Horsham on Friday night, return mid afternoon today? I guess I'm wondering if things are working OK when cool / light load, but something got a little too hot towing in the afternoon and that's what created the problem?

You have fitted a catch can. Just speculating, but if there's an issue somewhere in that install the engine could be sucking air in through the catch can system that is bypassing the air filter / MAF. If the MAF isn't seeing all the air that's being sucked in by the engine perhaps it isn't supplying enough fuel? I would've thought inlet temp and manifold pressure would be able to compensate, but it's somewhere to start looking?
                NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• aussieintas
                  Valued Member
                  • Feb 2013
                  • Sorell, Tasmania

Could a caravan brake have been dragging a bit
                  2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
                  88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
                  92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
                  92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
                  99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
                  95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
                  08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• Ian H
                    Valued Member
                    • May 2015
                    • Melbourne

Doubt it, there'd be smoke coming out of the wheels after a while, I know from experience !
                    2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• mktriton
                      • Jun 2013
                      • melbourne

Yes checked brakes.
                      All 4 caravan brakes were warm to touch but were not hot. All felt about same temp to me so figured it wasn’t one dragging
                      Vehicle hand brake was off
                      Weather was cool both days.
                      Vehicle temps seeemed ok. Both trans and coolant reading from scangauge
                      No codes were coming up either

Comment

• Caggs
                        • Jun 2017
                        • Melbourne

Did you refuel before you returned?? If so, could it be a lesser quality fuel. I have noticed my NX is very sensitive to using non premium diesel, especially from remote towns. In my last trip up the Darling River it meant a difference between 17.5l/100km to 19.5l/100km and i was towing a similar load to you.

Comment

• mktriton
                          • Jun 2013
                          • melbourne

Yes I did refuel in Horsham
                          BP premium diesel
                          I did think it may be dirty fuel but not sure

I will be taking it to mechanic today to run a scan over it
                          Ideally I hope it is a fuel problem ie dirty
                          I can’t understand why Friday it pulled like a steam train coming out of Bacchus Marsh
                          And Monday I had to drop the gear box back to 2nd in manual mode and struggled to maintain momentum

Comment

• NTBenny
                            • May 2017
                            • Newcastle

If your car is making the expected boost pressure (18psi) than I feel you may have a fuel restriction issue. That potentially being a partially blocked fuel filter.

Benny.
                            2011 NT Pajero Platinum, DCS 80AH Extreme Battery, Stedi 8.5" LED driving lights, Bushskinz side steps & bash plates, Provent 200, Auto-mate TC lockup, Derale fan forced trans cooler, custom 3inch exhaust, JT intercooler, Bilstein + Lovells 2 inch lift, Airbag Man bags, DBA slotted rotors, braided brake lines, diff+gearbox+transfer breathers, Redarc boost & EGT gauge, Tuned by TME 141rwkw 598nm.

Comment

• cruisn06
                              Valued Member
                              • Jan 2011
                              • Perth WA

Originally posted by Phree_ed View Post
                              Not normal from here either.

I just went through a spreadsheet I have for a 12,500km trip towing a 2550kg van.
                              Using only the data where I did 98 to 100 percent towing stages between refills I averaged 18.45 lt/100. That was over 5711km at a reasonably steady 90kph.

Best consumption was an incredible 12.71 and the worst (into STRONG headwind) was 20.91.

I do not have an automate, I simply tow in sport mode 4th gear so I too would be trying a trip with the AM off and 4th gear.

Oh and constant 4WD as well as the card in the sun visor pocket advises.
                              can you take a photo of this card that states to tow in 4H?
                              07 Mitsubishi Pajero Shorty - Currently rolling around... Parked in Armenia for the moment

Insta: https://www.instagram.com/wrongturnadventure/

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X