• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • klaash
    • May 2020
    • Tasmania

Aux Fuel Tank

Hi Folks,

I was just wondering has any good ideas for auxiliary fuel tanks that I've missed.

I've come up with the following:

Replace normal tank with ~110l tank (e.g. Brown Davis or ARB). For the BD I've been quoted $1085 + $200 freight + $550 fitting + $650 for the mod plate. I'd happily fit it but they said they wouldn't do the mod plate in that case... So a total of $2485 if I do it legally. $1285 if I do it myself. But given potential insurance issues etc. I don't think I'm game to risk it.

I also rang up about the Long Ranger 44l tank. $1800 for just the tank!

It seems I might have to make do with jerry cans...

Any thoughts?
  • OldEmmGee
    • Jan 2016
    • Adelaide

I went through a similar process - if I was doing a lot of long-distance towing I would go the ARB plastic tank, but the number of times I need it, cannot justify the expense (and pain) when I have jerry cans in the shed!
    2018 PS; King Springs on rear; Nudgebar; Hardkorr lightbar; rear storage inc Aux battery/Redarc BCDC; Provent EGR filter; Rear diff breather; reversing floodlight; MSA mirrors for towing a Bailey caravan....rarely....

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

This replacement polytank gives you an extra 35 litres over the factory tank, strong and lightweight.

OJ.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• dean
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2007

If you can fit in 2 Jerry cans and that's all you'll ever need...that's your best option.
        My 81L LRA cost $1100 fitted 13 years ago...crikey they've gone up a bit.
        Dean
        NM V6 since August 2000. Cargo Barrier, Satphone, Decent Suspension, Decent Tyres Eg. Any 10 PLY E Load Brand Not Important. Aux Tank, Rola Sports Racks/Basket, Decent Canvas Bag, Quality Esky. A Good Setup For Outback Touring/Desert Crossings.

Comment

• BillS
          • Jan 2020
          • Holbrook NSW

This one looks interesting. Haven't seen a price anywhere.

2019 PS Black edition. ECB Bull bar, Boo's sump guards and King springs F&R.

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2016
            • Greater Sydney

That's 88kg that looks like is hanging behind your rear axle.

Comment

• pharb
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2007
              • Tyers,Vic

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
              That's 88kg that looks like is hanging behind your rear axle.
              But if loading to maximum GVM is probably only displacing 88kg that would be sitting in the boot behind the rear axle anyway,

Or this combination, by retaining spare wheel prevents the spare wheel inadvertently adding even more leverage over rear axle if spare wheel relocated to swingaway tyre carrier, plus the weight of the tyre carrier.
              PCOV Member 1107.
              Daily driver NX GLX
              Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
              Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
              Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• old Jack
                Regular
                • Jun 2011

Longranger Website; Reportedly no loss of ground clearance but no mention of the massive loss in departure angle.
                I can just see you ripping the sidewall out of a tyre and possibly even damaging a rim if you venture off road and drive in deep ruts or as you exit gullies, creeks and steps.

I use Willow 10 litre plastic fuel cans when I need to carry extra fuel. I carry these inside the vehicle when full and have no issues with fumes as the fuel cans are rinsed of after filling or emptying. The smelly part is the fuel funnel or fuel can spout and this need to be well wrapped up in several heavy plastic bags if you are going to carry it inside the cabin.

An extra 35 litres or 40 litres is not enough for a Simpson Crossing as you need carry at least 60 extra litre and on a CSR trip you need to carry an extra 130 litres!
                For over $1000 it is expensive for 40 litres of extra fuel.
                If I really needed this small extra fuel capacity on a regular basis the the ARB poly tank would be my choice as the weight is forward of the rear axle and the underslung spare tyre is position is not compromised.

OJ.
                2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• klaash
                  • May 2020
                  • Tasmania

Originally posted by BillS View Post
                  This one looks interesting. Haven't seen a price anywhere.

http://thelongranger.com.au/mitsubis...-current/ta79S
                  That's the one I was quoted $1850 (plus shipping, installation, mod plate) for.... Can't imagine they sell many of those!

Comment

• klaash
                    • May 2020
                    • Tasmania

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                    https://www.arb.com.au/mitsubishi-pa...tanks-storage/

This replacement polytank gives you an extra 35 litres over the factory tank, strong and lightweight.
                    That one looks like perhaps the most robust tank. But: $1215 + $240 fitting + $800 mod plate (at ARB Hobart).

All very expensive. I need to see if I can find someone that will do the mod plate for a lower price and will allow me to install it myself.

Thanks for the ideas everyone!

Comment

• old Jack
                      Regular
                      • Jun 2011

ARB do not mention a mod plate being required.
                      ARB should have these tanks designed and approved to meet the requirements of VSB-14 and relevant ADR's. You do not have to have your airbag system tested if you have fitted an approved bullbar or have stability testing done when fitting a suspension upgrade, so I see no reason why you would need to get and engineers certification on the installation of an aftermarket fuel tank if its design is compliant. If a manufacturer is selling a non compliant fuel tank then this is a product that is not fit for purpose and would be in breach of consumer laws.

From the ARB 2020 Price List;

ARB FRONTIER DIESEL FUEL TANK
                      (TAD117) 100L, Pajero Sport 2015 On 1215.00 240.00 1455.00
                      Correct fitting requires the filling of the fuel tank to test for leakage. Prices do NOT include the full fuel (FUEL) load which will be added to your
                      account.
                      LONG RANGER FUEL TANKS
                      Auxiliary Fuel Tanks
                      1,2(TA79S) Pajero Sport 2015 On All Diesel Models, 44L UNDER DEVELOPMENT
                      1 Auxiliary tank located above spare wheel.
                      'Distance to Empty' trip meter will no longer function as intended with a large tank installed.
                      Correct fitting requires the filling of the fuel tank to test for leakage. Prices do NOT include the full fuel (FUEL) load which will be added to your
                      account.

OJ.

Comment

• klaash
                        • May 2020
                        • Tasmania

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                        ARB do not mention a mod plate being required.
                        I have no idea about the true legal situation in Australia.

However I did a bit of ringing around this arvo and the guys I spoke to at ARB, TJM, BD and Long Ranger all told a similar story. Most customers don't worry about a mod plate, however it is a legal requirement. Without it you could void your insurance. Also, apparently in some mainland states they are cracking down on it and if caught out could force you to stop driving until rectified. You can imagine how well that would go down on a family holiday!

I asked about Bullbars and suspension upgrades and apparently if the Bullbar meets the Australian standard and the State's additional regulations it's fine. Similar suspension lifts <50mm are fine too.

I struggle with the logic -- a bad suspension setup seems as likely to cause an accident as a slightly leaky diesel tank.

While I'm ranting... on bullbars, the Vic standard stipulates "The profile of the bull bar should follow that of the vehicle in plan, side and front view.". Which makes me wonder whether bullbars like the Piak might strictly speaking be non-compliant .

All kinda takes the fun out of it a bit :-(

Comment

• pharb
                          Valued Member
                          • Jul 2007
                          • Tyers,Vic

I had never heard of requirement for a mod plate either (except for Qld which seems to need mod plate for everything), however I looked on VicRoads website and it stated all the requirements for different fuel tanks (ground clearance, clearance to suspesion components etc)......and a VASS certification (aka mod plate) for the original mounts if capacity is more than 25% over original.

Didn't appear to mention anything re auxilary tanks.
                          PCOV Member 1107.
                          Daily driver NX GLX
                          Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
                          Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
                          Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• klaash
                            • May 2020
                            • Tasmania

Originally posted by pharb View Post
                            I had never heard of requirement for a mod plate either (except for Qld which seems to need mod plate for everything), however I looked on VicRoads website and it stated all the requirements for different fuel tanks (ground clearance, clearance to suspesion components etc)......and a VASS certification (aka mod plate) for the original mounts if capacity is more than 25% over original.

Didn't appear to mention anything re auxilary tanks.
                            Thanks for clarifying! On further search the Vic guidelines seem to be an excerpt from the National Code of Practice: https://www.infrastructure.gov.au/ve.../vsb_ncop.aspx

It lists "Fitting an additional or replacement fuel tank " under "Modifications that may be certified" so no sneaky loophole there.

Jerry Cans it is.

Comment

• BillS
                              • Jan 2020
                              • Holbrook NSW

Originally posted by klaash View Post
                              That's the one I was quoted $1850 (plus shipping, installation, mod plate) for.... Can't imagine they sell many of those!
                              That's just crazy, will be sticking with 2 containers on my van.
                              2019 PS Black edition. ECB Bull bar, Boo's sump guards and King springs F&R.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X