• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • red1234
    • Feb 2017
    • australia

New track conditions app - feedback required

Hi all

We are in the process of developing a new app for the 4wd community to address multiple problems involving route planning, such as the problem of not knowing the conditions or difficulty of a track prior to attempting it since they change day to day.

Our app collects data from users as they traverse tracks and analyses it to determine track conditions - everyday. It provides basic information such as traffic on a track including the types of vehicles and their setup/mods to help you plan your route.

It also develops personalised track difficulties and grades according to your car, setup and driving history - so you don't bite off more than you can chew.

The app will work offline and is completely automated, with track updates pushed to your phone automatically. Users can also manually add points of interest and photos of tracks.

The app is still in development but will be released soon. If you would like to have early access to the beta version sign up at Newtracs.com

Any and all feedback is welcome!

Thanks Red
  • GHostNizal
    • Nov 2016
    • Plane-t earth

sounds promising.... good luck with the project

Comment

• Hatto
      Valued Member
      • Nov 2013
      • Mandurah WA

Sounds like a great idea! I'd use it
      Cheers, Hatto

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
      ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.

Comment

• 2mM
        • May 2014
        • Adelaide

Interesting.
        How/where will you source your information?
        Mo further information on your website!

Comment

• Ian H
          Valued Member
          • May 2015
          • Melbourne

Sounds interesting. We did Murdering Spur (near Dargo in the Vic high country) last week and weren't too sure what we'd find but we came across a fallen tree blocking the way so out came the chain saw. We got through OK but what we thought was blue/black turned out to be double black.

It will only be as good as the info put in to it but I'd like to see one which became the standard and could be relied upon for being up to date. That's going to be your problem I think.
          2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• baggins
            • Feb 2012
            • melbourne

Sounds great.. signed up.

Comment

• Pickle
              Administrator
              • Jun 2007
              • All over Oz

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
              Sounds interesting. We did Murdering Spur (near Dargo in the Vic high country) last week and weren't too sure what we'd find but we came across a fallen tree blocking the way so out came the chain saw. We got through OK but what we thought was blue/black turned out to be double black.

Interesting, Murdering Spur must have deteriorated quite a bit recently. Was cut as a firebreak a few years ago and used to be pretty docile.
              NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
              Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• red1234
                • Feb 2017
                • australia

Originally posted by baggins View Post
                Sounds great.. signed up.
                Thanks!

Comment

• red1234
                  • Feb 2017
                  • australia

Originally posted by 2mM View Post
                  Interesting.
                  How/where will you source your information?
                  Mo further information on your website!
                  Sorry about the website - we will be adding more detailed info in coming weeks.

Track conditions are determined by analysing GPS and other device data that is collected as users traverse tracks. The data is downloaded to the device offline and uploaded to our servers once in wifi or 3/4G range. Track traffic, difficulty and other insights are determined using proprietary algorithms which analyse the data to determine useful information, before it is pushed to user devices to be viewed in the app.

Key insights will be track traffic (number and class of vehicles) at a base level, to more sophisticated functionality such as personalised track difficulties (i.e. "given your vehicle, mods and track history, track A is going to be easy, whereas track B will be a challenge" etc)

Hope thats clearer.
                  Last edited by red1234; 08-03-17, 10:08 PM.

Comment

• red1234
                    • Feb 2017
                    • australia

Originally posted by Ian H View Post

It will only be as good as the info put in to it but I'd like to see one which became the standard and could be relied upon for being up to date. That's going to be your problem I think.

Interesting - what made it become more difficult? Rutts? Mud?

At a base level the app will be able to provide information on which types of vehicle have been up that track before you and when (yesterday, a week ago, a month ago), which provides information to allow a better judgement call. For example, if I have a stock standard car but only cars with 35s muddies and lockers have been going up that track, I may reconsider attempting it. The more information gathered the deeper the insights we can draw.

Comment

• nj swb
                      Resident
                      • Jun 2007
                      • Adelaide

Sounds intriguing. The "Get the App" button just took me to the "Sign Up" button, so I've just signed up. No option to actually download the Beta - is that right?

Originally posted by red1234 View Post
                      Any and all feedback is welcome!
                      OK, you asked for it.

An App for Australian tracks advising "Mud Tires". Australians have Tyres, not Tires.

Also, the screen shot was showing Billy Goat Bluff track. Three of us recently drove it with absolutely no drama using All Terrains; I've seen a factory stock Challenger drive it on H/T's. Does the App really advise that Mud Terrains are required for that track?
                      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• nj swb
                        Resident
                        • Jun 2007
                        • Adelaide

Originally posted by Pickle View Post
                        Interesting, Murdering Spur must have deteriorated quite a bit recently. Was cut as a firebreak a few years ago and used to be pretty docile.
                        When I did it with the club (5 years ago ?) they said it was Double Black, and the descent was pretty steep and rutted. Did it last year, and it was still steep, but the ruts weren't as bad.
                        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• red1234
                          • Feb 2017
                          • australia

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                          Sounds intriguing. The "Get the App" button just took me to the "Sign Up" button, so I've just signed up. No option to actually download the Beta - is that right?

OK, you asked for it.

An App for Australian tracks advising "Mud Tires". Australians have Tyres, not Tires.

Also, the screen shot was showing Billy Goat Bluff track. Three of us recently drove it with absolutely no drama using All Terrains; I've seen a factory stock Challenger drive it on H/T's. Does the App really advise that Mud Terrains are required for that track?
                          Thanks for signing up. Yes nothing to download at present.

On the tyres/tires feedback - I'll cop that, it will be changed.

Billy goats bluff was used as an example as it's quite famous - it's not a reflection of current conditions. This is a good use case though - Billy goats bluff is famous for being one of the steepest tracks in Australia (it's pretty steep anyway). Given that, if I had a stock challenger I would love to know if any other stock challengers have recently gone up it without issue - this is the value this service delivers.

Appreciate the honest feedback!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Comment

• red1234
                            • Feb 2017
                            • australia

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                            OK, you asked for it.

Now fixed

Comment

• red1234
                              • Feb 2017
                              • australia

Also guys make sure to follow us on Instagram @newtracs

Will be posting updates and photos periodically.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X