• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • svabo
    • Jul 2020
    • sydney

Replaced IAC now idling very high

Hi All, new to the forum and new to.the Pajero world.
    Recently bought a Pajero NM 3.5 petrol auto that was idling very low and stalling. After some research it sounded like the IAC valve.
    Couldn't find an OEM at a wreckers here in Sydney so got a cheap one of eBay for $20 just to test if it is the IAC. Since.replacing it the idle has jumped to 2k rpm while in park of neutral. Is about 1300rmp whilst in drive.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks again

Sent from my CPH1920 using Tapatalk
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

Initial thought is one of two things.

1. Your eBay IAC is a dud.

2. A previous owner has adjusted an air bypass to compensate for the previous dud IAC, and is now allowing too much air to bypass.

Please note that I don't even know if your 3.5 has an air bypass adjustment, but hopefully somebody else will know one way or the other.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• svabo
      • Jul 2020
      • sydney

That was my initial thought that it was a dud.
      Just thought someone may have experienced this before. Heard about the idle relearn but didn't think it would effect the idle speed that much.

Comment

• geopaj
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2007
        • Adelaide

After installing the IAC, did you disconnect the battery (for a minute or two) to allow the computer to reset?

From memory, when I installed a replacement IAC into my old V6 NL (which has a similar engine & ECU) to yours, I had to reset the computer by disconnecting the battery before it would idle probably.

The other option is your eBay IAC is faulty.
        Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• svabo
          • Jul 2020
          • sydney

Thanks for your reply. I did disconnect the battery after I did the swap. Did yours idle high/low intially then settle? If so how long did it take to settle down?

Comment

• disco stu
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2018
            • Wollongong

Idle air bypass was on model before, so i'm assuming it will be on that one. Takes a phillips head and is on top of the throttle body on the rear side. I would try screwing that in to try and bring it down, just count the turns so you can return it to the same place if needed

Comment

• svabo
              • Jul 2020
              • sydney

Thanks, will give it a try. Shouldn't really have to manually adjust it in theory though if the IAC is doing its job right?

Comment

• nj swb
                Resident
                • Jun 2007
                • Adelaide

Originally posted by svabo View Post
                Thanks, will give it a try. Shouldn't really have to manually adjust it in theory though if the IAC is doing its job right?

If it's there, Mitsubishi installed it for a reason - presumably to ensure a minimum air flow regardless of IAC operation.

If the old IAC wasn't doing its job properly, or the throttle body was simply gummed up, then the previous owner may have adjusted the bypass to compensate. You may need to now uncompensate.
                NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• svabo
                  • Jul 2020
                  • sydney

Yes true, thanks for your help mate

Comment

• craka
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2009
                    • Newcastle (Newie)

Is it possible the throttle body just needs a clean?
                    From memory the main issue on the early gen2 at least were that the idle control motor failure itself wasn't the issue but the carbon build up on the plunger it pushed in and out.
                    NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

• svabo
                      • Jul 2020
                      • sydney

Before replacing the IAC I gave the throttle body and the inlet where IAC site a good clean with throttle body cleaner. Cleaned all the edges of the butterfly. Wasn't sticking and creating a good deal from what I saw

Comment

• Alex86
                        Valued Member
                        • Jul 2007
                        • Here and there

NJ said the air bypass may have been adjusted.
                        That a different name for the “idle screw” adjustment?
                        Either way, could be a likely culprit. Sorry I don’t know how to set this thing correctly.
                        '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
                        Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

• disco stu
                          Valued Member
                          • Dec 2018
                          • Wollongong

No, different to the idle screw that opens butterfly further. Technically shouldn't touch the idle screw on efi. This one is down in a hole in the throttle body that is in line with the butterfly and is just a needle that allows a certain amount of air past it at all times. Takes a Philips head screw driver

Comment

• disco stu
                            Valued Member
                            • Dec 2018
                            • Wollongong

This picture should help give an idea where it is

Comment

• svabo
                              • Jul 2020
                              • sydney

Thanks for the help legends.. I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X