• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gutbuster
    • Jun 2019
    • Coory Qld

Chassis damage - Lift kit & underbody protection

Greetings to this great group - this is my first post but I have found a great deal of useful information from others.

While cruising around a friends rural property we hit a cut off stump while travelling at only a couple of Kph, a cursory inspection appear to show some damage to the plastic sump protector and a bit of a crease in the transmission bash plate.

This incident prompted me to get the Pajaro raised using King springs (Comfort rear and HD Front with EFS shock absorbers giving a 40 mm lift $1455 supply and fit), however the suspension shop told us that there was some damage to the rear front wishbone mount which has been pushed back by about 2mm and a kink in the cross brace member. I must say I am most disappointed with the underbody strength of the Pajero although overall I have been very pleased with my NX.

When the wheel alignment was carried out after the lift kit was fitted, it was set to the correct angles but the damage is likely to cause longer term wear of bushes and mounts. I am going to get this looked at by a body shop and was also intending to add 'Custom Off Road' stainless steel bash plates, however these would not have protected this particular section from incurring the damage that it has, although I reckon it was just bad luck where it hit! Has anyone else had similar experiences? Certainly the factory underbody protection is woefully in adequate for an off-road four-wheel-drive vehicle, it would fail to protect many expensive and vulnerable parts such as the intercooler, sump and transmission case.
    Attached Files
  • BruceandBobbi
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2016
    • Greater Sydney

Having had two Hilux they are no better.

I can't think of any 4WD in OZ that comes standard with 'real' bash plates. I guess that's why there are many different brands of bash plates on the market.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

• geopaj
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2007
      • Adelaide

Wow, you must have been either really unlucky, or hit it really hard.

However, from the photo, it doesn’t look like it will cause you ongoing issues and doesn’t appear to have moved the bush area - it looks more localised to the are below the bush where the cross brass is attached.
      Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• Gutbuster
        • Jun 2019
        • Coory Qld

The wishbone (not long ago replaced by Mitsubishi as a recall) has been pushed back by a couple of mm and the rear bush is no longer parallel with the bracket, so I decided to put in an insurance claim to get it all back straight! I think if it was left the bushes and pins would wear unevenly.
        I was going pretty slow and didn't come to a sudden stop so don't know why it got so bent up.

Comment

• Gutbuster
          • Jun 2019
          • Coory Qld

Originally posted by geopaj View Post
          Wow, you must have been either really unlucky, or hit it really hard.

However, from the photo, it doesn’t look like it will cause you ongoing issues and doesn’t appear to have moved the bush area - it looks more localised to the are below the bush where the cross brass is attached.

I decided to put in a repair claim through my insurance as recommended by the guys that fitted the lift kit and the quote came back to replace the complete front subframe (K frame??) a 12hr job and who knows what the parts are costing - sounds over the top to me but Im not going to argue as I plan to keep it for a while.

Have just ordered a full set of custom offroad (Brisbane) SS bash plates too

Comment

• Jasonmc73
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2019
            • Brisbane

Originally posted by Gutbuster View Post
            I decided to put in a repair claim through my insurance as recommended by the guys that fitted the lift kit and the quote came back to replace the complete front subframe (K frame??) a 12hr job and who knows what the parts are costing - sounds over the top to me but Im not going to argue as I plan to keep it for a while.

Have just ordered a full set of custom offroad (Brisbane) SS bash plates too

Who's your insurance company i'm looking for one
            Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• toasta
              • Oct 2014
              • Northern Beaches, Sydney

Unlucky hit!!!

I've done a lot of driving on rural properties and I have to say - not many cars survive unscathed in some form from hitting stumps. Particularly those moving suspension components. So on that note I wouldn't feel too unlucky. That is why we had farm vehicles or paddock bashers as we called them - once you were in a paddock with some long grass there was all sorts of hidden stuff that would just rip stuff off the bottom of the vehicle.

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2019
                • Brisbane

Originally posted by toasta View Post
                Unlucky hit!!!

I've done a lot of driving on rural properties and I have to say - not many cars survive unscathed in some form from hitting stumps. Particularly those moving suspension components. So on that note I wouldn't feel too unlucky. That is why we had farm vehicles or paddock bashers as we called them - once you were in a paddock with some long grass there was all sorts of hidden stuff that would just rip stuff off the bottom of the vehicle.
                Yes I use to chase pigs, shoot roo's & busted couple of Landcruiser chassis, not impact but busted all the same.

Have busted U bolts though & busted spring leaves so she sits nice & flat

& they were pretty tough trucks, HJ45ish series, we considered Hilux to be a toy we would break.

The modern 4wd is not really a paddock basher type machine in reality, although a hell of a lot quieter & a whole lot more comfortable
                Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• Gutbuster
                  • Jun 2019
                  • Coory Qld

Originally posted by Jasonmc73 View Post
                  Who's your insurance company i'm looking for one
                  Sorry about the delay, Shannon's are my insurers as I have a few laid-up motorcycles as well and they were cheaper than RACQ who were my main insurers.

I fitted a full set of SS Custom Offroad bash plates, 4mm front and sump - 3mm transmission cover, then headed out West to a property North of Morven (Qld) It behaved well on the red dirt and sandy roads and with the lift didn't even knock the tops off any termite hills! I did fit an OBD2 tyre pressure monitor kit too, which is great and certainly gives peace of mind when travelling on them rocky roads.
                  Last edited by Gutbuster; 07-09-20, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X