Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Body and Soul

Body and Soul Discussion about the chassis and body, paintwork, cabin fittings, air conditioning, etc.

Old 2 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Default Burnt oil on exhaust - how to clean?

I had an oil leak, it’s ended up leaking onto a section of my exhaust and it’s burnt on there.

Leak fixed, yet I still get smoke from this section and the burnt oil smell.

What’s the best way to clean this crud off???

Pipes are Wildcat, which I presume is mild steel.
Certainly not ceramic or stainless or chrome!

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex86 View Post
I had an oil leak, itís ended up leaking onto a section of my exhaust and itís burnt on there.

Leak fixed, yet I still get smoke from this section and the burnt oil smell.

Whatís the best way to clean this crud off???

Pipes are Wildcat, which I presume is mild steel.
Certainly not ceramic or stainless or chrome!
Go for a long drive so it all burns off??

Thatís what Iíd do

| ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Booís guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | airbags | Cooper AT3 LT's | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank in rear seat well | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Yep it wonít last long on a hot exhaust. I mean if you really want to get it off then there is degreaser but thatís just swapping one bad smell for another.
MM Lockup mate. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Wire wheel brush on a drill may get most off........then a long drive getting it real hot.

Previously
88 NF SWB 2.6 manual
92 NH LWB 3.0 auto
92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
95 NJ SWB 3.0 auto
99 Cruiser 4.5 manual with all the fruit
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Not doing a lot of driving at the moment so driving to burn it off isnít the best/quickest option right now. Iíd like it gone sooner rather than later just to keep track of the leak fix. Originally the burnt oil smell was what I noticed at the beginning; and until this patch is cleaned off Iíll still be getting the smell.

Iíll try more degreaser and maybe the wire brush, see if I can get the majority off that way.

This is the patch Iím trying to clean:
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 04713C74-083B-400C-AB97-145C86C609EB.jpeg (98.3 KB, 23 views)

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Old 2 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex86 View Post
Not doing a lot of driving at the moment so driving to burn it off isnít the best/quickest option right now. Iíd like it gone sooner rather than later just to keep track of the leak fix. Originally the burnt oil smell was what I noticed at the beginning; and until this patch is cleaned off Iíll still be getting the smell.

Iíll try more degreaser and maybe the wire brush, see if I can get the majority off that way.

This is the patch Iím trying to clean:
If you can get that off with degreaser in an 1 - 1&1/2 hours Iíll be surprised! Personally, Iíd spend that same time going for a drive!

Looks like the majority is burned on (like seasoning cast iron cook wear). Maybe some sort of mechanical method (sandpaper, wire wheel with a drill or grinder?).

| ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Booís guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | airbags | Cooper AT3 LT's | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank in rear seat well | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Soaked a rag in some degreaser and wrapped it around that section for about 20 mins whilst I had my morning coffee, then got to it with a wire wheel on a cordless drill and some sandpaper where I couldn’t get the wire wheel- that took about 10 mins.

Idled it up to operating temperature and left it idling for another 5 mins or so (another coffee).

So far, no smoke and just burning off the degreaser smell. I’ll take it for a drive to the shops and around the block a couple times to get some extra exhaust heat from high revs into it.

Wildcat had a tack-welded a little brand/model plate onto that section (other side of the pipe, bottom edge of it just visible in the pic).
This plate always annoyed me because it caught a bit of oil splashing out from the sump drain.
Interestingly I’ve been chasing, for quite some time, a little metallic rattle at certain rev ranges. Turns out one of the tack welds has broken. I’d looked at it previously but it seemed fine then.
I’ve now removed the plate.
1) no more oil getting caught behind it.
2) hopefully that solves my little rattle problem!

Old 2 Weeks Ago

Personally I think driving it off would have been more fun than getting underneath the truck with a wire wheel.
02 NM Pajero 3.2 DID Auto with Snorkel, Turbosmart Dual Stage Boost Controller, Kinugawa 15T Hybrid turbo, Cat Delete, EGR Removal, ECU Piggyback Chip, Raw Nitro shockies, 22Ē Black Rhino wheels with Black Bear A/T tyres, EGT, boost and engine temp gauges, catch can, Synergy 4b Ronbox, K&N air filter, 3Ē dump pipe, 320x300 Front mount intercooler with 3Ē polished inlet piping, plus other mods

99 Challenger 2.8td auto Sold