• Show
Clear All
  • Onslow
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2007
    • Perth, Western Australia

Originally posted by signo1985 View Post
    I thought so!!

The only problem is how and where fit all the different accessories that normally "sit" on the bullbar, like led lights sand flags etc
    Nudge Bar?
    NOW SOLD: NW MY2014 VRX 3.2 Diesel Auto, Rhino Rack Roof Rack, Sandgrabber Floor Mats, Safari Snorkel, Warn XP9.5S Winch, ARB Bull Bar, Bushskinz Underbody Protection, Lovells HD Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Firestone Airbags, Off Road Systems Rear Shelf, Boab 40Lt Water Tank, Cooper LT265/65x17 ST-Maxx Tyres, Uniden 7760 UHF Radio, LRA 58LT Long Range Tank, ARB Intensity Spotlights, Redarc BCDC Dual Battery System, Taipan XP 3in Exhaust System, Recaro Seats.

Comment

• zoiks
      • Apr 2016
      • Brisbane

Only issue is that cheap nudge bars for GEN 4's have dried up. Used to be able to get them for $200 on eBay.

That being said... If anyone has a spare =D

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

• quickbrwnfox
        • Jul 2020
        • NSW

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
        As you know, I'm well aware of how the ARB bar is designed...I have fatigue cracking again
        I've watched your video on YT the other day. Very informative. Thanks
        🅽🆇 🅿🅰🅹🅴🆁🅾

Comment

• signo1985
          • Sep 2017
          • Perth

Hi sharkcaver, I watched your video a while back and jeez, shocking to say the least.
          In the comments below your video you mention that competitors bars attach differently to the ARB bar, which is what caused the fatigue cracks.
          Can I aks you if you have investigated how the opposite lock bar is mounted?
          If similar to the ARB or similar to the TJM?
          Cheers

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Old pops
            • Aug 2020
            • United Kingdom

Lucky I live in the U.K. and the only thing that I’ve hit is a pigeon 😂😂😂 had an arb on my hilux but haven’t bothered with my shogun/pajero just have a hidden winch and a thin a bar mainly for spotlights,like I said pigeons and hedgehogs don’t do to much damage 😂

Comment

• Dicko1
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2014
              • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Old pops View Post
              Lucky I live in the U.K. and the only thing that I’ve hit is a pigeon 😂😂😂 had an arb on my hilux but haven’t bothered with my shogun/pajero just have a hidden winch and a thin a bar mainly for spotlights,like I said pigeons and hedgehogs don’t do to much damage 😂

We have larger pigeons and hedgehogs over here. We call them emus and wombats....
              Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• angree mouse
                • Dec 2020
                • Northern Victoria

Originally posted by Onslow View Post
                After yet another animal strike I thought I'd give some good feedback on ARB bull bars. I've had an ARB bull bar on each of my last three vehicles. A ZJ Jeep Grand Cherokee, an NP Pajero and an NW Pajero. Each one of these vehicles received numerous unavoidable impacts with kangaroos (and emu's!), probably 6-8 over all the vehicles. Most were at speeds of 80kph or higher. The latest was just a couple of weeks ago at 85kph on a dirt Outback road in WA.

The 'roos have ranged in size; most were medium to large, but not huge. The noise of these impacts was considerable and in each case I was concerned at the possible damage done until I stopped to check the animal and the front end. There has been no damage whatsoever on any of these bars! One of the larger 'roos hit the drivers side section of the bar under the headlight area, still no damage at all!

All I can say is full credit to the ARB design team for building bars designed for this purpose without compromise. I know that no Mitsubishi OEM bars would have withstood these impacts without bent components and panel damage. I doubt that any alloy bar on the market would have survived these impacts either. A number of the other steel bars on the market would have also had no chance, as they have no strengthening in critical areas.

If you're looking for real frontal protection, particularly if you travel remotely and need to be able to continue driving your vehicle, you can't go past an ARB bull bar in my opinion.
                Bump up,
                Good read.
                Hi all, l'm new here.
                Have had my stock pajero for few weeks now, have had a price from ARB in shepparton vic- $ 2800 to supply + fit black metal bull bar. ( cut guards etc.)
                Anyone had one fitted recently and does this sound reasonable ?
                Need one fitted early next year as we have plenty of roo's around here.
                Past 4x4's have had them already fitted.
                cheers

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2019
                  • Brisbane

Originally posted by angree mouse View Post

Bump up,
                  Good read.
                  Hi all, l'm new here.
                  Have had my stock pajero for few weeks now, have had a price from ARB in shepparton vic- $ 2800 to supply + fit black metal bull bar. ( cut guards etc.)
                  Anyone had one fitted recently and does this sound reasonable ?
                  Need one fitted early next year as we have plenty of roo's around here.
                  Past 4x4's have had them already fitted.
                  cheers
                  How much does the bar weigh out of interest?
                  Will they tell you ?
                  As an example this one weighs 90kgs, i have no idea about ARB's steel bar weight

https://www.tjm.com.au/protection/bu...be-070sb13n52v

Basically Mum & Dad + the bar is Max front legal capacity basically

Recent example here, this gentleman has 90kg's till he hits "legal capacity" no one is sitting in the vehicle

https://www.pajeroforum.com.au/forum...rade-questions

Front axle 1330kg's from memory, is capacity

Unfortunately for me the TJM steel bar for me personally, is not an option anymore

More than likely it will be one of these, under 40 kg's with steel winch bed mount + ADD Carbon winch total weight 23.5kg's
                  This combo is still lighter than the steel bar alone & IF i wanted at later date Auxillary battery (maybe lithium watching that space) those three items would be same & less weight as One steel bar, heading towards legal axle capacity.

https://portal.ecb.com.au/products/9...7%2F14+to+%29+

But everyone has different needs, just pointing out what my research has returned.

Smart bar would be the other go to for me persoanlly, plastic bar, winches harder to accomadate & ARB tax now
                  Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• pharb
                    Valued Member
                    • Jul 2007
                    • Tyers,Vic

I have a '15 NX with ARB bar and warn winch with synthetic rope.
                    Weighed car with 1/2 tank of fuel, driver, and 55aH auxilary battery, heavy spec sump guard (slightly heavier and wider than Bushkinz but no intercooler guard) - front axle weight was 1240kg. Maximum allowed is 1330kg. So 90kg to spare.

Assuming due to central location a front passenger adds 1/2 of say 80kg, and full fuel adds 1/2 of 40L that will bring front axle weight up to about 1300kg, minus the auxilary battery I have since moved to boot, the front axle still has some capacity left before exceeding axle limits.

Have weighed numerous times in full camp, touring mode for 2 people, sometimes with camper, sometimes without. Have yet to exceed any weight limits.

I should add I originally had a Smart Bar which I replaced with the ARB.
                    The bits that came off weighed 49kg. The bits that went on weighed 62kg.
                    PCOV Member 1107.
                    Daily driver NX GLX
                    Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
                    Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
                    Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• angree mouse
                      • Dec 2020
                      • Northern Victoria

Originally posted by Jasonmc73 View Post

How much does the bar weigh out of interest?
                      Will they tell you ?
                      As an example this one weighs 90kgs, i have no idea about ARB's steel bar weight

https://www.tjm.com.au/protection/bu...be-070sb13n52v

Basically Mum & Dad + the bar is Max front legal capacity basically

Recent example here, this gentleman has 90kg's till he hits "legal capacity" no one is sitting in the vehicle

https://www.pajeroforum.com.au/forum...rade-questions

Front axle 1330kg's from memory, is capacity

Unfortunately for me the TJM steel bar for me personally, is not an option anymore

More than likely it will be one of these, under 40 kg's with steel winch bed mount + ADD Carbon winch total weight 23.5kg's
                      This combo is still lighter than the steel bar alone & IF i wanted at later date Auxillary battery (maybe lithium watching that space) those three items would be same & less weight as One steel bar, heading towards legal axle capacity.

But everyone has different needs, just pointing out what my research has returned.

Smart bar would be the other go to for me persoanlly, plastic bar, winches harder to accomadate & ARB tax now
                      I will find weight out tomorrow, doesn't say on brochure.
                      Also will get a price from TJM and make/ weight.
                      Always have had alloy bars on past vehicles,was told they are more expensive than steel.
                      Roo's are counted by the dozen around here, they come out of the state forest nearby for a feed in the paddocks.. Best count 3-400 across the road from us.

Thanks for all replies.

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2019
                        • Brisbane

Yeah all the best with it mate, i don't think there's a rite & wrong answer & I hope Skippy leaves you be.

I've been thinking for a while on this subject & was going to fit TJM bar.

I think your rite, steels cheaper than alloy, heaps of ARB bars out there so they must work OK.

I think minimal amount of people have had ARB mount crack the front of there vehicle albeit in harsh use though with possibbly winch & i don't think it's common though , driving hard on sustained corrugations.
                        Stacks of them out there though, so can't imagine its common

I think TJM is the competitor he may be pointing at in this clip below, how he suggests does look like in fitting instructions how TJM mount there bar, but its heavy as going on the gentlemen that weighed his vehicle on the above link, no wonder well mounted.

I've attached the fitting instructions for TJM see Page 11.

Does have a winch below in clip probably does add to his problems.

My experiences with ARB and their deluxe bar on a Gen 4 Paj. You can take it as sour grapes or you can take it as education. Just spreading the love, brother.

I dunno, if i have a steel bar only 1/3 heavier than a well constructed & mounted alloy bar i'm not sure i've gained much strength?

If i have a steel bar twice the weight of a well constructed Alloy bar i think i would gain fair bit of strength especially in the wings of the bar over the alloy bar.

ECB alloy bars are 8mm steel mounted & bar is 6mm Alloy.
                        If I bend that to the point of buggered, well maybe if it was that strong i didn't bend that, what would my vehicle look like anyway, behind the bar

So i've decided a powder coated, Alloy ECB might be the bar for me, i expect more money & not as strong depending on the steel bar of course.
                        Installation Instructions TJM Outback Steel Bullbar NS-NT Pajero #070SB13N52U LR2.pdf
                        Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• Dicko1
                          Valued Member
                          • Dec 2014
                          • Cairns, FNQ

If I was ever going to get another bullbar I would go with the smart-bar. Too many wont buy them because they don't look "macho"....Weekend warriors mainly. Coppers/ambos/SES etc. use them...they go for practicality over pose value. Vast majority of us that live in the suburbs really don't need a bar. Insurance covers you for any event!!..car hire, accommodation etc. Just cannot see the point in adding unnecessary weight to a vehicle that gets very close to being overweight when packed up for a trip away..
                          Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                            Valued Member
                            • Jun 2019
                            • Brisbane

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                            If I was ever going to get another bullbar I would go with the smart-bar. Too many wont buy them because they don't look "macho"....Weekend warriors mainly. Coppers/ambos/SES etc. use them...they go for practicality over pose value. Vast majority of us that live in the suburbs really don't need a bar. Insurance covers you for any event!!..car hire, accommodation etc. Just cannot see the point in adding unnecessary weight to a vehicle that gets very close to being overweight when packed up for a trip away..
                            I hear ya Dicko fair point although Angree Mouse lives with 300 Roos!

I think Smart & ECB similar weight.

Yes i was thinking along same lines, winch cradle behind grille & maybe Nudge bar for light mount.
                            Why do i want a winch, sand & camper trailer https://www.maxtrax.com.au/trailer-skid, not a convoy traveller, move a tree of track etc.
                            Might come in handy
                            Over the next 10 years i plan to see some sights, in Australia, not just overseas.
                            How often will i use winch hopefully never.
                            Hopefully just to stop it seizing up, or pull someone else out!

Then frontal protection, rite at this moment my work coleague couple roos within a month Navara ute tilt tray coolant on the ground, immobilised.

How often will i use a bull bar hopefully never .

But if i do use either winch or bullbar & i don't have them when required, murphy's law tells me it won't be at the most convenient time for me.

I couldn't care less about macho, geez i brought a Pajero
                            Last edited by Jasonmc73; 13-12-20, 03:38 PM.

Comment

• angree mouse
                              • Dec 2020
                              • Northern Victoria

Originally posted by Jasonmc73 View Post
                              Yeah all the best with it mate, i don't think there's a rite & wrong answer & I hope Skippy leaves you be.

I've been thinking for a while on this subject & was going to fit TJM bar.

I think your rite, steels cheaper than alloy, heaps of ARB bars out there so they must work OK.

I think minimal amount of people have had ARB mount crack the front of there vehicle albeit in harsh use though with possibbly winch & i don't think it's common though , driving hard on sustained corrugations.
                              Stacks of them out there though, so can't imagine its common

I think TJM is the competitor he may be pointing at in this clip below, how he suggests does look like in fitting instructions how TJM mount there bar, but its heavy as going on the gentlemen that weighed his vehicle on the above link, no wonder well mounted.

I've attached the fitting instructions for TJM see Page 11.

Does have a winch below in clip probably does add to his problems.

My experiences with ARB and their deluxe bar on a Gen 4 Paj. You can take it as sour grapes or you can take it as education. Just spreading the love, brother.

I dunno, if i have a steel bar only 1/3 heavier than a well constructed & mounted alloy bar i'm not sure i've gained much strength?

If i have a steel bar twice the weight of a well constructed Alloy bar i think i would gain fair bit of strength especially in the wings of the bar over the alloy bar.

ECB alloy bars are 8mm steel mounted & bar is 6mm Alloy.
                              If I bend that to the point of buggered, well maybe if it was that strong i didn't bend that, what would my vehicle look like anyway, behind the bar

So i've decided a powder coated, Alloy ECB might be the bar for me, i expect more money & not as strong depending on the steel bar of course.
                              [ATTACH]n1069756[/ATTACH]
                              Thanks Jas 73

Not made mind up yet, though i know i'll give alloy a miss. My son was about to drive up nth east coast of vic between xmas + new year. ( 2007 Triton twin cab )
                              Did'nt make to next town before hitting a big grey roo. He checked under, no leaks and drove back to our place.
                              Thought that was end of his holiday. I got out a metal tow cable and wrapped it around a tree, put hook end around top left hand side of his alloy bar. ( was pushed in against bonnet )
                              Layed a weight bag over cable, he put in reverse and after third go, alloy bar pulled away from bonnet and we could lift it up and checked inside, all good.
                              He took of ,back on his travels up the coast.
                              So i will be going metal, but now after xmas it may have to wait for a bit longer. Also i'll ask for weights of bar.

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                                Valued Member
                                • Jun 2019
                                • Brisbane

If i lived where you live i would probably say the same

Tuff Bars in Toowoomba QLD for you me thinks, 4 or 5 poster

https://www.tuffaustralia.com.au/tuf...shi-pajero-nx/

I use to drive A Navara with alloy bar, i reckon the bumper would have been stronger along with the Mitsubishi standard bar.

I realise not as strong as steel,

These may be gusseted bit better than Misty bars if you look at outer bars of bar & winch cradle 8mm steel front section, with gusseted wings that hit big roo will still bend.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X