• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Peterng
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2013
    • Northern Rivers NSW

Muputrax Recovery Tracks Pt 2

As I have eluded in Pt 1, I have purchased a pair of this type of recovery trax and I did a small spiel about them.
    I go by my general rule 101 of camping and 4wding which reads.."If the equipment can't do more than 2 jobs...it ain't worth getting."
    This rule came about because, space and weight always will dictate my camping and 4wd outings and so far it has not been too far off the mark.
    Ok, so on to the practical review.
    I have just came away from a 2 day camp in a place called Baniyala, now for all those past East Arnhemland residents, they will know the place and what it is like.
    There will be a write up later and hopefully it will bring back memories to those who went before me.
    The Muputrax worked a treat, a couple of times I purposefully got bogged and gave them a go..the Paj gripped on and poped out no problem.
    It is the unexpected situation that came up where the Muputrax that came into its' own..
    I was travelling along the CAR (Central Arnhem Road) about 40ks out of Nhulunbuy, when I noticed a bloody deep hole.
    I got the front left around it, but missed the rear and the left back end went it.
    The springs hit the bump stops and made a decent sound of it..I was doing about 70km when I hit it, as I was speeding up after about 3k's of deep corrugations.
    As I drove along I started getting the back end swagger...bugga...bugga ...bugga..nearly 40ks to go and the rear left tyre let go.
    I pulled over to the side of road, for an inspection..no actual puncture I could see...but it was flat..so time to change a wheel.
    Along the CAR, there are some steep culverts and flat ground is at a premium...this was one of those places..
    Bugga...750kms' of gravel road, and I get the part that is down to nearly one lane and has steep drop offs into the gutters.
    Note to self...get a flat in a more pleasant place to change a tyre.
    So I moved the Paj to the furtherest left near the edge where the road tapers off towards the graded drain.
    The area was flat to a degree, few rutts and a built up of sand into a windrow from the vehicles using the road.
    I got the Muputrax down, moved one back and forward under the rear suspension arm until it pushed away some of the the sand and it created its' own flat level.
    The Paj has a 2" lift, so I doubled up with the Muputrax and created a very solid spreader board...placed the standard jack on the tracks.
    Muputrax have a flat surface and so the jack was solidly standing and all through the jacking process, the Muputrax took the weight of the Paj beautifully..
    After the tyre changing process, it seems from inspection, the left rear inner had come off the bead.
    So I'm lucky..
    As for the Muputrax, I'm grateful, for they now can be used as a very stable jacking platform in various situations....chuck the block of wood away...less weight and more space.
    Nice.....
    Last edited by Peterng; 25-09-17, 05:42 PM.
  • martinx
    • Jan 2015
    • Coolbellup

Thanks for your review.

Thanks very much for the review Pete. I do mainly sand and these look good for that, along with the multi-purpose angle!

Cheers, Martin

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
    Working...
    X