• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Okayest dad
    • Oct 2019
    • Orange

Rear diff breather seal

Hi everyone, I just extended my rear diff breather up to where the jack and tools sit near the rear lights. It looks tidy but it turned out to be a frustrating job. For starters, the factory seal under the original bung was split, so I couldn't re-use it for when I installed the threaded bung. I managed to improvise and find some rubber a similar thickness and use it instead. My concern is that even though I have used a rubber of similar thickness aswell as a good dose of silicone sealant it wont work properly... am I just being paranoid?
  • Bladerunner99
    • Apr 2019
    • Sydney

If you have put sufficient sealant on the bung/rubber seal then you should not have any issues. I am about to change mine also and have purchased the Piranha kit. How easy was the removal and installation of the bung/breather

Comment

• Okayest dad
      • Oct 2019
      • Orange

Mine wasnt a Pirahna kit but another ebay kit offering the bung needed for the Triton/Pajero Sport. The bung was black and impossible to get in. I had to sand it back in the end to make it fit. I'm not happy with the job to be honest and will probably have another attempt tomorrow with the spare bung and head to bunnings and buy some fibre washers to replace my dodgey bit of rubber. I feel like the Pirahna kit will work easier though, most people are happy with it. I think you'll be fine. The original bung is easy to remove but be super careful not to damage the washer as you will need to use it. I ran my line up the rear and have installed the breather inside where the jack and tools sit. It looks super tidy there and was easy to run.

Comment

• Bladerunner99
        • Apr 2019
        • Sydney

Great, thanks for the info

Comment

• orthodoxs
          • Mar 2018
          • Darwin

Originally posted by Okayest dad View Post
          Hi everyone, I just extended my rear diff breather up to where the jack and tools sit near the rear lights. It looks tidy but it turned out to be a frustrating job. For starters, the factory seal under the original bung was split, so I couldn't re-use it for when I installed the threaded bung. I managed to improvise and find some rubber a similar thickness and use it instead. My concern is that even though I have used a rubber of similar thickness aswell as a good dose of silicone sealant it wont work properly... am I just being paranoid?
          If you drive around for a few days and reinspect the seal, won't it have a smudge of extruded oil if it is incompetent and leaky? Jus thinking aloud!

Comment

• Okayest dad
            • Oct 2019
            • Orange

To be honest I ended up starting again. Went to bunnings and found a washer that was perfect and used the spare bung that came with the kit. Now I'm happy.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X